Elite K7S5A or MSI MS-645 Ultra ?

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Hi,

which motherboard out of these two would you say was better?

Which one has the most onboard stuff?

They are both about the same price. I'm trying to build a cheap second PC I want to put a decent cheap motherboard in at least and then I can think about HDDs and other things later.

Cheers.

-----------------------------------
Don't extract the urine.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Anybody?

Is this post invisible, or just really boring?

Don't extract the urine.

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
They are completely different platforms, the MSI one is for Pentium 4 socket 478 and the K7S5A is for AMD CPU’s.

Anyway the MSI 645 is better and I would say you really stay away of ECS motherboards.

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have the K7S5A and I think it's awesome. Really really reliable.

However, I've had it for over a year now and it's been out for longer than that. There must be something better out by now.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The MSI competitor for the K7S5A is the 745 Ultra, an excellent board which I recommend highly above the K7S5A.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
I think I meant the k7S *6* A

I wrote 5a by mistake. The 6a should be better shouldn't it?

If I am on the wrong track then what is the latest best out of the cheapest AThlon MoBos?

Don't extract the urine.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Now that's a closer comparison, same chipset as the MSI 745 Ultra. But with fewer features. And less build quality. At the same price. I recommend the 745 Ultra.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
OK OK OK 745 Ultra!

hehe cheers. Seems like a good buy.

Do you think I should take the MSI K7 master out of my current machine and use the 745 ultra for myself (1.4 athlon) and then use the K7 master for the spare machine which I'm building?

Don't extract the urine.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the performance gain would be around 5%, might not be worth your time.

kernel32

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
M S I M S I M S I .........ECS is the cadillac of PC CHIPS!!! so if you like pc chips go for the ecs. I recommend msi. I'm a little bias because I worked in a pc repair shop and had nothing but trouble with the k7s5a. But there are those lucky people who managed to pickup a trouble free one!

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
What do you mean cadillac of PC chips. I'm a Londoner. I know Cadilacs are nice though.

Don't extract the urine.