P4 Mobo Quandry - Advice Sought

Fionavar

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
So the time is nigh - the boards are to be announced this Monday and then a new twist and even more time to wait arises - so it seems I need some help.

Which mobo should I go with - the new Intel 845PE with DDR 333 spec and apparently Abit will have an AGP 8x version . . . or do I wait. yet again, for the Granite Bay @ the end of October with the Dual DDR support - though only for DDR 226? I was thinking of throwing a Gig of RAM into the new Rig - but I am unsure what to do. AGP 8x is important as I want this new rig to have some legs, but the Dual DDR has me thinking to the horizon again. So - will there be a real world and perceivable difference between 1 Gig of DDR 333 or 1 Gig of Dual DDR 266? Thanks ahead of time. Peace.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Fionavar on 10/05/02 01:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
"AGP 8x is important as I want this new rig to have some legs"

8x AGP has not shown any practical performance advantage over 4x AGP, only theoretical. As for the future of AGP, it will be soon be replaced by PCI Express (a.k.a. 3GIO).

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

TJinsane

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2002
Hey, I am strong believer in that 8x AGP will show its stuff when games are designed to be run at high speeds with insanely realistic graphics. If you are looking for a new P4 motherboard with 8x AGP then I would like to suggest the ABIT IT7-Max2. Along with 8x AGP it also offers great sound, on board, and up to 10 USB ports and 3 Firewire ports, plus if you get the max drive, you'll end up with readers for your digital media cards. Just my oppinion.

If a CPU can be overclocked, try and overclock it. Do this always and forever, unless, of coarse, you have a POS ecs motherboard. In that case, thank god it runs.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
"I am strong believer in that 8x AGP will show its stuff when games are designed to be run at high speeds with insanely realistic graphics. "

By the time we have games with insanely realistic graphics (i.e. cinematic quality games) 8x AGP will be long gone and 64-bit (or higher) cpu's will be the norm. Though, 8x AGP may justify its existance in the near term.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>