Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertM525

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I'm interested in buying a good condition Socket 754 motherboard that has a PCI-E 16x slot on it and supports SATA hard drives. Preferably one that Windows XP natively can see without having to use a FDD to pre-load drivers (I think nForce mobos are this way... maybe).

I also need a decent PCI-E video card, too, really, but I was going to worry about that separately.

RobertM525

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I'm looking for something better than an AGP 256MB GeForce 6600 that's cheap. :)

It'll be a backup computer that my wife will play WoW on, but that's basically it. I don't need anything that fancy.

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Send me a PM if you want to make me an offer on my EVGA 7900GS KO - it is less than 6 months old and never overclocked. It plays WoW extremely well. Thanks

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I have a combo that could be of interest... though it is AGP. But, I also have a AGP EVGA 7800 GS 256 GDDR3 Ram video card to go with it.

The mobo is a EPOX 8hmmi-a (I have to look it up for sure.) micro ATX. I also have a socket 754 A64 3200+ Venice core. Combine that with the 7800 GS and it is a pretty formadable PC. The board supports sata natively (no extra drivers needed).

On top of that, I do have 1 gig of ram (two sticks of ram, DDR 266 2 x 512 Mb). I had all of it working together perfectly. I was able to play every game I tried very well, Enemy Terretory: Quake Wars, Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights 2, Rainbow 6 Vegas. It played WoW flawlessly on almost max settings (I think I used 4xAA and 8xAF, but everything ingame maxed).

I am looking to get rid of all of it, so let me know if you have any interest in any or all the parts. None of the parts are older than a year, the video card is about 4 months old (never OC'd, though I heard it is very good at it). The CPU has never been OC'd either, though it is supposed to be a champ too. I also have a stock AMD HSF to go with it.

But, I don't know how you feel about going AGP. The video card will definately blow your 6600 out of the water, though.

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Did you even read the Original Post basketcase? Its clearly listed that this person wants PCI-E! AGP is like the dinosaur of the PC industry and people avoid it like the plague. I can't even give an AGP card away.

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Hey, I got that. I also read that he wants it for his wife as a backup PC that can play WoW. I just thought I would throw it out there.

"AGP is like the dinosaur of the PC industry and people avoid it like the plague." - And a socket 754 CPU isn't?

For WoW, my stuff works great. I know that AGP is dying, believe me, I know. But, as a second PC, they probably don't want to spend too much or plan on doing major upgrades. I mean, whateve CPU they may have or plan on having that is socket 754 would bottleneck anything better than a 7800 GS. Let's say they get a PCI-e mobo and a 8800, the CPU just won't keep up. The CPU and video card I got are a good match. I didn't specify a price, but believe me when I say I will let this stuff go for cheap.

ibleet, I am beginning to notice a trend of you being a complete forum jerk. Just because I posted my stuff, doesn't mean the guy needs to buy it. Just laying an option out there for him.

RobertM525

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
If it were cheap enough, I might be interested in the video card and one of those 512MB RAM sticks. But my ASUS AGP mobo works fine. I just wanted PCI-E so my wife wouldn't have to suffer my completely craptastic videocard and lack of options for upgrading it to a decent modern one. I figured that since a lot of people have upgraded out of Socket 754 that someone must have a S754 PCI-E mobo lying around they wanted to get rid of cheap. :)

G

hey badge
i managed to kill my k8n4-e and need a replacement do you have any?seems pci expressmobo's for s754 are rare as rocking horse droppings :(
let mwe know if you got something at richbrown_87@hotmail.com
cheers :wahoo:

Like basketcase I've also got an old Socket 754 AGP MOBO (gigabyte K8 Triton series) with an Athlon 3200+ newcastle core CPU and a BFG 7800GS AGP card and a 1GB pc3200+ low latency Ram module (Patriot PEP1G3200LL) that I'd let go cheap - If anyone is interested send me an offer . (figure it is just sitting here collecting dust since I upgraded to a Phenom II X3 720 CPU and sapphire 5770 GPU back in January and I could use another 2GB DDR3 RAM kit to go with my system- It was all working fine at the time I upgraded but was getting a bit slow on performance for the new games coming out (though It played games like Oblivion fine for 2 years)

@ RobertM525 - IF you have an AGP system already and just need a better GPU I've got a BFG 7800GS AGP card that I could sell you for a good price if and Basketcase don't work something out - Let me know if you are interested (E-mail addy is listed in my profile page)

Status
Not open for further replies.