ASUS P4 SiS 648 issue

ZeuSueZ

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2002
Hi all,

2 weeks ago I bought myself a brand barebone:
1.) P4 2,4 Ghz (533 Mhz fsb / socket 478)
2.) 256 MB PC 3200 Performance DDR
3.) ASUS SiS648 LAN mobo

.....and it sucks - there is NO way I can get it to run with just a little stabillity (the temprature is no problem = ~40 degrees celcius) But the computer locks randomly, with no warning what-so-ever!! Then some fellows told me to flash the bios, since there has been some problems with this mb from the beginning - ok I check the ASUS web - and can't access the bios section? So if ANYBODY can send me the flashfile, I would really appriciate it.

Our CS clan is @ bootcamp this weekend and watching CPL from oslo, so I really need my machine.

Thx in advance.

Real men don't do backup...
...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
It sounds like a RAM problem or a power supply problem. Check to make sure your RAM is okay. Swap it out, or if you have 2 sticks remove one, test it, replace the other and test again. Also, check the RAM timings. You may have them set too aggressively. Make sure you have the CPU/Mem frequency ratio set to 1:1 or Auto when testing.

Do you have a quality power supply?

One other thing, make sure all your jumpers are set correctly. You may want to check the Asus website (I know, pulling your teeth out may be less painful) for an update of their manual. Asus is notorious for providing false information in their manuals. Good luck.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

pstate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
Hi there!
I got one of these boards recently and it has worked well for me! I also have a P4 2.4GHz (FSB533) with DDR333. I even got Mandrake 8.2 to load and compile without trouble. Even the audio works. I did not upgrade the BIOS yet (currently 1003a, new release is 1004). My "only" difficulty is NVIDIA's own driver (I have a GeForce4 440MX). I may go back to the generic 'nv' driver. So hang in there it should all work. But I have to agree that it seems that ALL mobo company have crappy support. Oh well life on the leading edge!

There are too many global idiots in the global village!

nlukin21

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
BIOS 1004 can help you. Go to asus.com, find driver download there and get yourself new bios.
Only 1004 - release seems to be stable, don't take any earlier bios.