man freaks out in Verizon store

Last response: in Network Providers
May 15, 2004 4:37:45 AM

highly hilarious

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040514/D82IEFRO0.html

Man Hurls Phones, Causes $2K Store Damage

May 14, 11:38 AM (ET)

FARGO, N.D. (AP) - A man who said he was fed up with his cellular
phone service went to a Fargo mall and started hurling phones across a
store, striking an employee and causing more than $2,000 in damage,
authorities said.

Jason Perala, 22, of Fargo, told The Forum newspaper that he planned
only to yell at employees at Verizon Wireless.

"Then I just lost it," he said. "I just started grabbing computers and
phones and throwing them. I just destroyed the place. ... I kind of
regret that I did it, but I hope my message got across."

Police said Perala took off his shirt and put on safety glasses before
throwing around computers, phones and other items.

One employee was struck in the shoulder by a phone before he and other
workers dashed into an office, locked the door and called police, Sgt.
Kevin Volrath said. Other businesses in the West Acres mall lowered
their steel security gates during Thursday's incident.

Perala was arrested without incident and jailed on charges of felony
criminal mischief and misdemeanor simple assault.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 4:37:46 AM

If the employees treated him the way the employees in the stores I've
visited treat customers, I can understand his frustration and contempt. What
a useless bunch of people these are. I think they are trained to not
acknowledge customers. I've never wanted to throw anything, but I'm on
drugs.

"Lee S." <nono@none.com> wrote in message

> highly hilarious
>

> http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040514/D82IEFRO0.html
>

> Man Hurls Phones, Causes $2K Store Damage
>

> May 14, 11:38 AM (ET)
>

> FARGO, N.D. (AP) - A man who said he was fed up with his cellular
> phone service went to a Fargo mall and started hurling phones across a
> store, striking an employee and causing more than $2,000 in damage,
> authorities said.
>
> Jason Perala, 22, of Fargo, told The Forum newspaper that he planned
> only to yell at employees at Verizon Wireless.
>
> "Then I just lost it," he said. "I just started grabbing computers and
> phones and throwing them. I just destroyed the place. ... I kind of
> regret that I did it, but I hope my message got across."
>
> Police said Perala took off his shirt and put on safety glasses before
> throwing around computers, phones and other items.
>
> One employee was struck in the shoulder by a phone before he and other
> workers dashed into an office, locked the door and called police, Sgt.
> Kevin Volrath said. Other businesses in the West Acres mall lowered
> their steel security gates during Thursday's incident.
>
> Perala was arrested without incident and jailed on charges of felony
> criminal mischief and misdemeanor simple assault.

Anonymous
May 15, 2004 7:39:47 AM

> I've never wanted to throw anything, but I'm on
> drugs.

That's a good thing to know. :-)

A new warning sign for verizon stores.

"warning.....
Only people on heavy medication should enter this premises.
Anyone that enters this area under an inadequately medicated state
may have episodes of psycho behavior and uncontrollable anger."

:-)
May 15, 2004 9:53:20 AM

absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.

"Lee S." <nono@none.com> wrote in message

> highly hilarious
>

> http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040514/D82IEFRO0.html
>

> Man Hurls Phones, Causes $2K Store Damage
>

> May 14, 11:38 AM (ET)
>

> FARGO, N.D. (AP) - A man who said he was fed up with his cellular
> phone service went to a Fargo mall and started hurling phones across a
> store, striking an employee and causing more than $2,000 in damage,
> authorities said.
>
> Jason Perala, 22, of Fargo, told The Forum newspaper that he planned
> only to yell at employees at Verizon Wireless.
>
> "Then I just lost it," he said. "I just started grabbing computers and
> phones and throwing them. I just destroyed the place. ... I kind of
> regret that I did it, but I hope my message got across."
>
> Police said Perala took off his shirt and put on safety glasses before
> throwing around computers, phones and other items.
>
> One employee was struck in the shoulder by a phone before he and other
> workers dashed into an office, locked the door and called police, Sgt.
> Kevin Volrath said. Other businesses in the West Acres mall lowered
> their steel security gates during Thursday's incident.
>
> Perala was arrested without incident and jailed on charges of felony
> criminal mischief and misdemeanor simple assault.

Anonymous
May 15, 2004 8:52:13 PM

"Chicken Bone" <biteme@noemail.com> wrote in message
> absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.

I second that!

Where can I donate to His defence fund?
May 15, 2004 8:52:14 PM

In article <1Vrpc.5987$gr.450525@attbi_s52>,
"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Chicken Bone" <biteme@noemail.com> wrote in message
> > absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.
> >

> I second that!
>
> Where can I donate to His defence fund?

If you 2 brain surgeons want to throw away your money, why don't you
just sign up with TMobile?
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 1:55:31 AM

I see you've been there too!

"N9WOS" <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote in message
> > I've never wanted to throw anything, but I'm on
> > drugs.
>
> That's a good thing to know. :-)
>
> A new warning sign for verizon stores.
>
> "warning.....
> Only people on heavy medication should enter this premises.
> Anyone that enters this area under an inadequately medicated state
> may have episodes of psycho behavior and uncontrollable anger."
>
> :-)

Anonymous
May 16, 2004 2:36:18 AM

Chicken Bone wrote:
> absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.

If it had been me, I woudl have done it in a Cingular store.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 2:57:08 AM

"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1Vrpc.5987$gr.450525
@attbi_s52:

> "Chicken Bone" <biteme@noemail.com> wrote in message
>> absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.
>>

> I second that!
>
> Where can I donate to His defence fund?

spellchecker breezy
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 6:32:08 AM

In article <CXwpc.4642$NK3.3494@news02.roc.ny>,
ayah@frontiernet.nettttttttt says...
> Chicken Bone wrote:
> > absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.
> >

> If it had been me, I woudl have done it in a Cingular store.

Yeah, a Cingular store....count me in.
--

Drum-
Anonymous

"Gordy" <kg0wx@IHATESPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1Vrpc.5987$gr.450525
> @attbi_s52:
>

> > "Chicken Bone" <biteme@noemail.com> wrote in message
> >> absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.
> >>

> > I second that!
> >
> > Where can I donate to His defence fund?
> >

> spellchecker breezy

My Bad, *dyslexia*
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 4:03:31 PM

N9WOS <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote:

> Judge others as you would want other's to judge you.
> And in the above case, that would be....
> Without mercy.
> Good day :-)

So you don't think assault should carry a bigger penalty than jaywalking?

(Note: you don't actually have to physically touch someone for it to be
considered assault.)

May 16, 2004 4:41:13 PM

send him to abu graib prison
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 10:42:42 PM

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> N9WOS <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote:
>
> > Judge others as you would want other's to judge you.
> > And in the above case, that would be....
> > Without mercy.
> > Good day :-)
>
> So you don't think assault should carry a bigger penalty than jaywalking?

You are taking my statement out of context.
I am not saying that what he did is no worse than jaywalking.

I am saying that, if it's his first real stupid act on record,
and he did not go into the store with the original intent of trashing the
place.
And it is just something that occurred from a momentary laps in judgment.

He should be given the benefit of the doubt.
Pay for the cost of the stuff he destroyed, and it duly noted on his record,
and be done with it.

If he repeats his stupidity again, then it is time to take a heavier
punishment.

> (Note: you don't actually have to physically touch someone for it to be
> considered assault.)

Assault is only a factor if the person that was hit
by the flying phone wants to press charges.

If the person intentionally threw the phone at the worker,
then it is up to the worker if he wants to press charges.

If the worker just happen to get in a way of a flying phone,
and it was not intentionally thrown at him.
Then I would consider that worker as being a jerk if he
pressed charges.
It is his right to press charges for assault,
but I would consider him a jerk, non the less.

If I pressed assault charges on someone every time someone
accidentally hit me with a shopping cart while in the store,
I would be a worthless a$$ hole.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 10:42:43 PM

N9WOS <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote:
> I am saying that, if it's his first real stupid act on record,
> and he did not go into the store with the original intent of trashing the
> place.
> And it is just something that occurred from a momentary laps in judgment.
>
> He should be given the benefit of the doubt.
> Pay for the cost of the stuff he destroyed, and it duly noted on his record,
> and be done with it.

OK.

By the way, the point of my other statement was that you can do stuff
to people that DOESN'T involve getting physical but does meet the legal
standard for assault...

May 16, 2004 10:42:43 PM

In article
<CCOpc.70438$Ut1.1729827@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"N9WOS" <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote:

> I am saying that, if it's his first real stupid act on record,
> and he did not go into the store with the original intent of trashing the
> place.
> And it is just something that occurred from a momentary laps in judgment.
>
> He should be given the benefit of the doubt.
> Pay for the cost of the stuff he destroyed, and it duly noted on his record,
> and be done with it.

If you really think that's enough of a punishment, then you are not
thinking.

People have to pay big time for their momentary lapses.

He should pay for all the actual physical damages to cellphone and
computer equipment. That's a no brainer.

How about the fact that the store had to close, couldn't sell phones or
service, yet still had to pay employees, pay for rent on the building
that day, pay for electricity, etc..?

Aside from that, the store's insurance will pay for everything, and it's
the insurance company that will go after this guy. Do you really think
they will just let it go paying for just the stuff he physically
destroyed?

The insurance company will get this guy for broken equipment.
The Verizon store will sue this guy in small claims court for their
insurance deductible.

Then somebody will sue this guy because that somebody will never be able
to walk into a store again without the fear of having a cellphone thrown
at them.

Then, a Verizon employee will sue verizon because they couldn't secure a
safe working environment.

Cingular, TMobile, Nextel and AT&T will install metal detectors at their
stores and hire staff psychologists to interview people before they are
allowed into the actual selling area.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 11:32:07 PM

N9WOS <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote:

> The insurance will not need to pay anything if the
> person that caused the damage pays for it.

Right. This happens all the time. The insurance company pays the claim
and then nails the person who is actually supposed to be financially
responsible ...

>> The Verizon store will sue this guy in small claims court for their
>> insurance deductible.
>
> What deductible will there be if he pays for it?

They'll pay a deductible if the insurance company covers the claim, even
if the insurance company subsequently collects from the guy.

Personally, I can understand his frustration but I still hope someone nails
his family jewels to the wall. Should he be required to pay punitive damages?
Probably not (and at least in the state where I live, punitive damages have
been eliminated from the legal process). Should he be required to reimburse
the store? Hell yeah. Should he get hit with criminal charges? You bet.

This wasn't a spurious incident. It *was* premeditated. Even if he only
originally intended to spout off at the employees.

May 17, 2004 1:12:20 AM

> By the way, the point of my other statement was that you can do stuff
> to people that DOESN'T involve getting physical but does meet the legal
> standard for assault...

I get what you are getting at.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 1:12:23 AM

> By the way, the point of my other statement was that you can do stuff
> to people that DOESN'T involve getting physical but does meet the legal
> standard for assault...

I see what you are getting at.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 1:14:01 AM

> I see what you are getting at.

Ignore the second post, my news reader is acting funny.
It crashed, and I didn't think the first one went through.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 5:13:56 AM

N9WOS wrote:
> Well....
> If someone ever catches you J walking, I will make sure you are
> punished to the fullest extent of the law.
>
> There is no justification for J walking, and it creates
> a hazard to the person and the drivers around the violator.

You wont get much punishment in Akron, OH. They hadnt had any accidents
from jaywalking in the last 20 years so they removed the law from their
codes!

-SP
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 5:19:37 AM

"alphageek" <nomailplease@uhdelfia.not> wrote in

> If the employees treated him the way the employees in the stores I've
> visited treat customers, I can understand his frustration and
> contempt. What a useless bunch of people these are. I think they are
> trained to not acknowledge customers. I've never wanted to throw
> anything, but I'm on drugs.

I find it helpful to get their attention if you bring a portable air horn,
the kind you'd put in a small boat powered by freon. Most people cannot
just carry on ignoring me if I give them a 20-second-blast that empties out
the Radio Shack and Spencer's Gifts next door.....(c;

Larry

If you see a little old lady painfully standing there, waiting for her
phone to get "fixed", don't forget to steal one of the sales associates
plush chairs for her to sit in..... Dare them to take it away from her.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 5:23:25 AM

> N9WOS <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote:
>
>> The insurance will not need to pay anything if the
>> person that caused the damage pays for it.
>
> Right. This happens all the time. The insurance company pays the claim
> and then nails the person who is actually supposed to be financially
> responsible ...

You all failed to notice this irate customer was a 20-year-old, who is
probably "sue proof", having no property, money in any account a lawyer can
get his grubby hands on and living with two other drunks in a rented
apartment while he looks for work, having lost his job as dishwasher at
Applebee's when he didn't show up for work 3 days in a row.

There ARE benefits to having nothing-of-value, at times.....like these.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 10:56:47 PM

John Golden <jagolden@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't care how bad the service is, the behavior was inappropriate to
> teh point of being criminal. If you Google the guy that went berserk in
> the store, he turns out to be a collegiate wrestler competing in the
> 180 lb. (or thereabouts) weight class.
>
> 1. I'd be pretty intimidated; and
> 2. I'd press charges. It might teach the guy to grow up and stop acting
> out.

You have to understand that Larry apparently endorses criminal behavior
if someone is upset enough at their cellular carrier. I don't think he has
the balls to do anything criminal himself, which I guess would make him a
hypocrite.

Come on, Larry, let's see you start throwing stuff around a Verizon store
next time they do something you don't like. Let's see how quickly you get
carted off to jail. Let us know about your experiences once you've posted
bond and are back at your computer.

(News flash: He's not going to do it.)

June 9, 2004 2:35:54 AM

Christian <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:
> Last week I visited a VZW retail store, could not get waited on so I just
> dropped the hands free adopter in the middle of the floor and walked out
> followed by the words Sir Sir please come back. I just order the hands free
> adopter off the internet.

That's another thing altogether. I wouldn't consider that unacceptable
behavior if you were upset. But that's nowhere near what Larry was suggesting.

June 9, 2004 11:22:29 AM

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:24:28 -0400, "Christian" <nomail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>adopter

Adopter????

Adopt what children, dogs, cats?

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 4:57:58 PM

Steven J Sobol wrote:
> Christian <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:
>> Last week I visited a VZW retail store, could not get waited on so I
>> just dropped the hands free adopter in the middle of the floor and
>> walked out followed by the words Sir Sir please come back. I just
>> order the hands free adopter off the internet.
>
> That's another thing altogether. I wouldn't consider that unacceptable
> behavior if you were upset. But that's nowhere near what Larry was
> suggesting.

Acceptable? Why?

We didn't hear details. And what difference would they make anyway?

Or did you mean that the behavior would not cause you to take any
action against the person? Say, for vandalizing, littering, or causing a
disturbance? How about if they went to the rack and emptied *all* the
items onto the floor? I don't believe "how much" or magnitude enters
into the determination of right or wrong, only the response to it.

Being upset (in this case) is no excuse for any behavior that
wouldn't be acceptable if not upset. My 4yr olds do this sort
of thing pretty often but they know it's not acceptable.

Walk out (after replacing item).
Complain to manager.
Complain to VZW.
Broadcast your bad experience.
Terminate business relationship with VZW.
Sue for ETF due to lack of service.
etc.

All "acceptable" behavior.

-Quick
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 5:42:48 PM

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 1:44:39 AM

Quick <dhorwitz@nospamcisco.com> wrote:

> Or did you mean that the behavior would not cause you to take any
> action against the person? Say, for vandalizing, littering, or causing a
> disturbance? How about if they went to the rack and emptied *all* the
> items onto the floor? I don't believe "how much" or magnitude enters
> into the determination of right or wrong, only the response to it.

I personally would put the merchandise on a table somewhere, not drop it
on the floor, but:

(a) Vandalizing? How? I don't think so.
(b) Littering you could make a cause for.
(c) Causing a disturbance? If you just *walk out*?

And if the person is already angry, I would just (as a store employee) walk
over and pick up the product and put it back. If you think pressing charges
for littering is the proper response in such a situation, my guess is that
you've never worked in retail.

> Walk out (after replacing item).

OK, well that was *almost* what was being discussed, now wasn't it?

The difference is that you are replacing the item first. I agree that that's
the best way to handle things, but my guess is that the OP's intent wasn't
to break anything or cause a scene, but rather to make a statement. Going
after him for *littering* is an extremely heavy-handed response.

Feel free to disagree with me...

June 10, 2004 3:03:01 PM

Steven J Sobol wrote:
> Quick <dhorwitz@nospamcisco.com> wrote:
>
>> Or did you mean that the behavior would not cause you to take any
>> action against the person? Say, for vandalizing, littering, or
>> causing a disturbance? How about if they went to the rack and
>> emptied *all* the items onto the floor? I don't believe "how much"
>> or magnitude enters into the determination of right or wrong, only
>> the response to it.
>
> (a) Vandalizing? How? I don't think so.

It's a matter of degree. Would emptying all the product in the
store onto the floor be vandalizing? Or does one have to destroy
something?

> (b) Littering you could make a cause for.
> (c) Causing a disturbance? If you just *walk out*?

It's not the walking out, it's dropping stuff on the floor.
Again a matter of degree.

> And if the person is already angry, I would just (as a store
> employee) walk over and pick up the product and put it back. If you
> think pressing charges for littering is the proper response in such a
> situation, my guess is that you've never worked in retail.
>
>> Walk out (after replacing item).
>
> OK, well that was *almost* what was being discussed, now wasn't it?
>
> The difference is that you are replacing the item first. I agree that
> that's the best way to handle things, but my guess is that the OP's
> intent wasn't to break anything or cause a scene, but rather to make
> a statement. Going after him for *littering* is an extremely
> heavy-handed response.
>
> Feel free to disagree with me...

I was not addressing the *severity* of the act or suggesting that
it warranted a response (I certainly don't think so).

I was nit picking your statement that it was "acceptable". Technically
I don't think it is "acceptable".

Do I think it warrants more response than a glance? No.
Would I draw an overall negative opinion of the person because of this? No.
Would I think it abnormal behavior and surprising? No.
Do I classify it as "acceptable" behavior? No.

-Quick
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 8:25:25 PM

Quick <dhorwitz@nospamcisco.com> wrote:

>> (a) Vandalizing? How? I don't think so.
>
> It's a matter of degree. Would emptying all the product in the
> store onto the floor be vandalizing? Or does one have to destroy
> something?

If we want a legal definition we'll probably have to ask a lawyer. To me
personally, vandalism implies some kind of damage. I'll concede that the
legal definition is likely to be different.

> I was not addressing the *severity* of the act or suggesting that
> it warranted a response (I certainly don't think so).
>
> I was nit picking your statement that it was "acceptable". Technically
> I don't think it is "acceptable".

I probably should have said "less unacceptable."

June 27, 2004 2:59:47 AM

Kev wrote:

> <...> Imagine having someone
> walk into your home and acting like that, what would you do? <...>

So, when I walk into a store, I'm walking into someone's home?

Isn't it illegal for them to actually dwell there?

\\P. Schultz
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 3:07:32 AM

Quick wrote:

> Being upset (in this case) is no excuse for any behavior that
> wouldn't be acceptable if not upset. <...>

"Being upset" was not the issue and not the cause of the
reaction. Being ignored was. It wasn't the customer's fault that
the staff was rude to him. You can call rudeness to their
attention without being "upset".

When I come up to supermarket checkouts that are understaffed,
with closed registers and employees sauntering about despite the
long lines, I leave my loaded cart behind, calling their
attention to it as I walk out the door. If the employees are too
lazy to man a register, I kick their asses by making them put all
my stuff back on the shelves. Ha ha.
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 10:03:25 AM

Last time I was in a Verizon store waiting at "Customer Service" I waited in
line for 2 hours... there were 4 people in front of me when I arrived. We
all three waited 35 minutes before anyone came over to customer service,
then it took 45 minutes for the guy to help the lady in front of me change
her account so that her 2000 minute plan went all to his husband's phone and
to write up a new account for her..... Ridiculous. The next lady had
attempted to put a face plate on an Samsung flip-phone she bought, the face
plate came from elsewhere... Some moron sales associate had told her that
the Verizon service department would put it on for her. Customer service
disagreed and it was settled in the back room between the sales associate
and the customer service rep...Took about 30 minutes.. One of the people in
front left, she was trying to ask a question about a feature of her phone
and the sales associates sent her to customer service for an answer.

One person behind me got fed up and left too. If all their stores are like
this, they should be a lot better.

-Jeremy

"The Grammer Genious" <schultzp@erols.com> wrote in message
> Kev wrote:
>
> > <...> Imagine having someone
> > walk into your home and acting like that, what would you do? <...>
>
> So, when I walk into a store, I'm walking into someone's home?
>
> Isn't it illegal for them to actually dwell there?
>
> \\P. Schultz

Anonymous
June 27, 2004 10:03:26 AM

"Jeremy Deats'" <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Last time I was in a Verizon store waiting at "Customer Service" I waited
in
> line for 2 hours... there were 4 people in front of me when I arrived. We
> all three waited 35 minutes before anyone came over to customer service,
> then it took 45 minutes for the guy to help the lady in front of me change
> her account so that her 2000 minute plan went all to his husband's phone
and
> to write up a new account for her..... Ridiculous. The next lady had
> attempted to put a face plate on an Samsung flip-phone she bought, the
face
> plate came from elsewhere... Some moron sales associate had told her that
> the Verizon service department would put it on for her. Customer service
> disagreed and it was settled in the back room between the sales associate
> and the customer service rep...Took about 30 minutes.. One of the people
in
> front left, she was trying to ask a question about a feature of her phone
> and the sales associates sent her to customer service for an answer.
>
> One person behind me got fed up and left too. If all their stores are like
> this, they should be a lot better.
>
> -Jeremy

Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations, but cheer up! It could be
a whole lot worse. While your phone renews every two years, you have to deal
with the DMV folks to renew your license every four years, and they are a
whole lot worse! Imagine twice as long twice as often.... <shudder>
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 2:23:35 PM

Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations, but cheer up! It could be
> a whole lot worse. While your phone renews every two years, you have to deal
> with the DMV folks to renew your license every four years, and they are a
> whole lot worse! Imagine twice as long twice as often.... <shudder>

Depends on the state. In California I personally haven't had problems with
license or plates (and I just moved from out of state last year, so I had
to do everything!) but my sister-in-law waited three or four hours to take
her driving test... she just got her license... and she *had an appointment.*

In Ohio, the state oversees operation of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles
licensing facilities, but they're *owned* by private companies. Things tend to
go quickly there (relatively speaking :)  because the owners of the facilities
want to get people in and out ASAP to maximize revenue. Ohio has some other
advantages too, like being able to print driver's licenses on the spot at the
license bureau...

June 27, 2004 5:47:12 PM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations, but cheer up! It
could be
> a whole lot worse. While your phone renews every two years, you have
to deal
> with the DMV folks to renew your license every four years, and they
are a
> whole lot worse! Imagine twice as long twice as often.... <shudder>

Not in New York State. My wife and I renewed our licenses on line (8
Years $45), we renew our registration on line as well. No hassle no
fuss or muss. You do need to get an eye exam before you proceed to
enter the id of the doctor etc. but it was still less than 10 minutes.
You can use a master card, visa, Amex or bank debit/check card. You
get an instant receipt and if you want your picture to reflect your
true appearance they can age it for you or you can go to the motor
vehicle office and have another one made. (That may be a longer wait)

But years ago they could have placed hot dog stands inside the
building so at least you had dinner while waiting. Ha ha

Elector
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 11:39:35 PM

Next time that happens, hold your phone to your ear inside the store
and start yelling "Can you hear me now?" until they have had enough
and deal with you.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 06:03:25 GMT, "Jeremy Deats'" <jeremy@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Last time I was in a Verizon store waiting at "Customer Service" I waited in
>line for 2 hours... there were 4 people in front of me when I arrived. We
>all three waited 35 minutes before anyone came over to customer service,
>then it took 45 minutes for the guy to help the lady in front of me change
>her account so that her 2000 minute plan went all to his husband's phone and
>to write up a new account for her..... Ridiculous. The next lady had
>attempted to put a face plate on an Samsung flip-phone she bought, the face
>plate came from elsewhere... Some moron sales associate had told her that
>the Verizon service department would put it on for her. Customer service
>disagreed and it was settled in the back room between the sales associate
>and the customer service rep...Took about 30 minutes.. One of the people in
>front left, she was trying to ask a question about a feature of her phone
>and the sales associates sent her to customer service for an answer.
>
>One person behind me got fed up and left too. If all their stores are like
>this, they should be a lot better.
>
>-Jeremy
>

>"The Grammer Genious" <schultzp@erols.com> wrote in message
>> Kev wrote:
>>
>> > <...> Imagine having someone
>> > walk into your home and acting like that, what would you do? <...>
>>
>> So, when I walk into a store, I'm walking into someone's home?
>>
>> Isn't it illegal for them to actually dwell there?
>>
>> \\P. Schultz

Anonymous
June 27, 2004 11:46:24 PM

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in

> But years ago they could have placed hot dog stands inside the
> building so at least you had dinner while waiting. Ha ha
>
> Elector

Not quite a hot dog stand, but before we called it Verizon, before we
called it GTE Wireless, we called it Cellular One of Charleston. In the
plush "customer lounge" you were invited to sit in while waiting for
service to work on your equipment, or put a phone in your car, there was
cable TV, free coffee and donuts, a Coke machine, two couches and two
recliner chairs around a coffee table full of magazines, none of which were
Cellular One advertisements.

GTE started the dismantling of our customer lounge when they pulled out
cable TV and installed rabbit ears. Verizon moved one store to the left,
eliminating all remnants of it, including places to sit, even a counter to
lean against at the service desk.

At least at DMV they give you plastic chairs to sit in. At Verizon YOU
STAND OR LEAVE.
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 11:50:37 PM

> When I come up to supermarket checkouts that are understaffed,
> with closed registers and employees sauntering about despite the
> long lines, I leave my loaded cart behind, calling their
> attention to it as I walk out the door. If the employees are too
> lazy to man a register, I kick their asses by making them put all
> my stuff back on the shelves. Ha ha.

I'm the guy loudly calling over the PA system at the supermarket,

"ALL CASHIERS TO THE FRONT, PLEASE! A-L-L CASHIERS NOW MAN YOUR
REGISTERS!"

I've received several standing ovations from the crowd backed up down the
aisles with loaded carts who pay their salaries. One manager escorted me
out of the store, once. I'd estimate 25 people simply walked away from
their carts to follow me out and leave the frozen food melting for him to
put away.

Leave the PA system microphones unattended. MAKE MY DAY!

Larry
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 12:32:54 PM

Look at this people....an entire thread of practically Verizon bashing!
Don't tell me you all are happy with this pathethic company???????????

"The Grammer Genious" <schultzp@erols.com> wrote in message
> Kev wrote:
>
> > <...> Imagine having someone
> > walk into your home and acting like that, what would you do? <...>
>
> So, when I walk into a store, I'm walking into someone's home?
>
> Isn't it illegal for them to actually dwell there?
>
> \\P. Schultz

Anonymous
July 2, 2004 11:03:57 AM

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 10:23:35 -0500, Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations, but cheer up! It could be
>> a whole lot worse. While your phone renews every two years, you have to deal
>> with the DMV folks to renew your license every four years, and they are a
>> whole lot worse! Imagine twice as long twice as often.... <shudder>
>
>Depends on the state. In California I personally haven't had problems with
>license or plates (and I just moved from out of state last year, so I had
>to do everything!) but my sister-in-law waited three or four hours to take
>her driving test... she just got her license... and she *had an appointment.*
>
>In Ohio, the state oversees operation of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles
>licensing facilities, but they're *owned* by private companies. Things tend to
>go quickly there (relatively speaking :)  because the owners of the facilities
>want to get people in and out ASAP to maximize revenue. Ohio has some other
>advantages too, like being able to print driver's licenses on the spot at the
>license bureau...

I recently lost (as in misplaced) my driver's license and went in for a
replacement. While I was at it, I also got a state ID card. After getting a
number for that interminable wait, I got a new sticker for my plates (which
only took a few minutes). The problem with getting an ID is that you have
to already have an ID to get it (further complicated by Homeland Security
regulations), but they finally did the necessary paperwork, sent me to the
cashier (total $9 for both items, which I thought was remarkable), had me
fill out a signature card, and sent me to the photo counter. The new DL
came out with my previous picture on it (from their computer file) and the
ID with the new picture. Total time: maybe an hour and a half. When the
license expires (unless things have changed), I can just send in my $10 (or
do it online for an extra service fee (could also do that for the plate
sticker)) and they will send me a sticker with a new expiration date to put
on my license.

Just think how efficient it could be if the secretary of state got along
with the governor...

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we *are* a part of NATO. We have a firm
commitment to Europe. We *are* a part of Europe." - Dan Quayle
!