games laggy with dual core.

kit352

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
i just got a new comp and im having trouble playing some of my favorite games on it. im pretty sure its a dual core issue from reading all the forums. the games im having the biggest issues with are battlefield, bf 2, and painkiller. i get the herky jerky stuff (also know as benny hill effect) even at the lowest settings. im running an amd64x2 4400 on vista32. ive tried running in compatability mode with no luck. ive also downloaded the amd dualcore optimizer as well as setting affinity to cpu0 with only slightly better results. i still cant really play them at all fps is around 30. is their anything else i can do or am i stuck. i know some people are able to get them to run i just cant figure it out.

dj_pee_zee

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Games really need a combination of a good video card AND cpu to play properly even if you have a high end CPU. They both work hand in hand with each other. You will also need to have a minimum of 2GB of RAM, especially if you are running Vista, 4GB recommended.

What video card are you using? Try getting an 8800GTS 320MB...it's expensive but worth it if you are a gamer. Good luck!

kit352

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
done a defrag as well as all other clean ups i could do to try to free up resources. as for the system its an amd64x2 4400 on vista 32. 2 gigs of ram. geforce 7600gt vid card but ive only got onboard sound so that may be an issue but i dont think its to bad of one. the thing is i can run brand new games fine. dark messiah runs well (probably at 75% full settings) as well as oblivian. hl2 runs perfect and i know thats more of a system drag than painkiller. even at the lowest of setting on painkiller is crazy slow and jerky. ive uninstalled and reinstalled it with no luck. if i play it on my old juihb 1700 running at 2.0 ghz on xp with an old ti force card it works fine. im gonna try roling back some drivers to see if that helps but im not expecting too.

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
look and see if your antivirus program is running a scan. if not that then make sure ur firewall is allowing bf2 access. if neither of those check out then maybe ur internet connection is too slow for bf2 or it could just be the servers ur trying to play on.

malachi1612

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
For Painkiller you have to switch off one of the cores through Windows Task Manager while the game is running. Thats what I did to stop the game from being laggy when I had my 4200 X2

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Heres the rub, i bet the games will run fine under XP with the same system. Graphicsa card drivers for Vista are buggy. DX10 is still new, and is buggy. Vista is definately buggy, and games themselves are going to be buggy on vista. The platform is still so new that everyone is killing themselves to try and make their stuff work right, its a process that is going to take time. Dual boot XP if possible, and use it for gaming untill a DX10 title you absolutely must play comes out for Vista, then worry about the performance issues at that point, because by the time Crysis comes out I garuntee the performance of Vista, DX10, and graphics card drivers will be much better.

kit352

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
thanks guys. im just gonna have to run some games on my other system at reduced setting till i figure it out. im gonna try upping my graphics card cause i think its a little screwed up, hopefully itll fix it but im not sure.

aggiestudd07

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
disabling onboard audio really helped me run bf2. install a pci soundcard and it will free the processor from rendering audio.

also make sure that your ram is running at specified speeds, b/c most motherboards downclock ram, but you can go into the bios and fix that real quick, that could help a little

Dual boot XP if possible
I dual booted xp/vista earlier this summer and i wouldnt recommend it.

_________Gaming Rig_________
Intel Q6600 @ 2.4GHZ
eVGA 680i SLI (A1)
eVGA 8800GTX
OCZ 2GB DDR2 1066 SLI Memory
OCZ GameXStream 600W
Razer AC-1 Barracuda
Logitech Z-5450
RaptorX 150, Seagate 320 SATA PR
XP Pro 32-Bit
Thermaltake Shark Full ATX
Olevia 27" LCD

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Make sure that Cool 'n Quiet isn't kicking in when it shouldn't be. I don't know if its a problem in Vista, but in XP if I have the power profile set to something where it allows the CPU to throttle it invariably does when I'm running games and they are pretty unplayable. If I set the power profile to something like "Always On" that doesn't allow throttling then things play just fine.

-mcg

G

In Vista, it's in the Power Options, setting this to Performance should help, but I doubt that is the problem.

civilDis

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
First off cool and quiet doesnt run on vist-yep bf2 has xfi problems and is memory sensitive but sound like dj_pee_zee
is right. Sounds like most likely ya graphics card-and yep would recogmend a 8800gts 320 but they run real hot so make sure ya case is up for that. Mine runs BF2 at 1600x1200 with no probs at 60-100 fps.

kit352

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
turned out to be a halfway bad vid card. swapped it with a x1650 i had and everything works fine. i dont understand why some games like hl2 would run perfect but lesser games (bf,bf2 painkiller) would be almost unplayable. ill probably stick with the 1650 for now seeing as how it runs well. i also think ill stay away from nvidia for now, i never seem to learn my lesson.

G

Cool and Quiet is supported in Vista without the need for the AMD driver (that was for XP). If it's not functioning, then it's either disabled in the BIOS or the BIOS needs updating.

tech4808

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
aggiestudd 07 why are you suggesting NOT to dual boot xp & Vista? I have been doing it for sometime now with xp32 & vista64. I love that I can play games on xp and still have vista to play around with! Just curious on why you made that statement...

ivanski

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Maby he didnt do it right,I have dual boot and love it.
Only games on gonna play on Vista are DX10 ones.
For those of you who are curious about what we are talking about,I will try to explain in plain english.
Dual boot mean to have 2 operating systen installed on the same computer.
Here is the quick non technical,plain english which I googled and did it myself.
You first have to partition your drive or just have 2 drives.
You must have XP installed first,then get the the OEM version of Vista or full version,but not the upgrade version.
Pop in Vista and it will ask you if you want to replace or create in available drive space,choose create.
Once installed in that manner avery time you boot up you'll get a choice of XP or Vista...WALLA no more compatability issues.

MickyDee

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Definintly don't run games on Vista (or ME 2 as we refer to it) but set it up as dual boot. I set it up useing the "upgrade" for Vista and it works fine the only thing you have to make sure you do is on the first screen that asks what type of install make sure you specify a "clean" install; it will ask for your "old" windows disk (i showed it my 98 disk) then put Vista back in and it installed fine in my "D" partition. I don't know if i'm missing anything by doing it this way but I only wanted an install of Vista on one of my machines so I could play with it (so far I have to say it's a bit of a love hate thing) but it does allow you to test hardware and software to find out what does or does'nt work.

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
It is interesting to me just how bad this new operating system seems to be. I remember XP having problems, but they were mostly compatability problems with old W98 software, not constant driver instability issues this far after the fact. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong though.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Don't recomend a dual boot? Why would you not recommend it? Personaly, I run a triple boot (XP-Pro32, XP-Pro x64, and Vista Ultimate 32) and I have no problems what so ever. I've been dual booting since 98/XP. If it's done right you don't have any problems what so ever.