XP SP2?

Helen

I just got a new computer with XP last week. I am wondering if I have the
SP2 as I have been waiting for the service pack in windows update. I had
auto update, but, turned it off when I read Norton said to download their
firewall update first. I have their update and have been waiting and
checking the windows update. Could the SP2 downloaded without me knowing
before I turned it off?

This is what I have when I typed WINVER:

Version 5.1 (Build 2600 xpsp2.030422-1633: Service Pack 1)

Denny

No, you have XP SP1.
"Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new computer with XP last week. I am wondering if I have the
> SP2 as I have been waiting for the service pack in windows update. I had
> auto update, but, turned it off when I read Norton said to download their
> firewall update first. I have their update and have been waiting and
> checking the windows update. Could the SP2 downloaded without me knowing
> before I turned it off?
>
> This is what I have when I typed WINVER:
>
> Version 5.1 (Build 2600 xpsp2.030422-1633: Service Pack 1)

Helen;
You have SP-1 not SP-2.
SP-2 is not scheduled for Automatic Update until 16 August, FAQ #6:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new computer with XP last week. I am wondering if I
>have the
> SP2 as I have been waiting for the service pack in windows update.
> I had
> auto update, but, turned it off when I read Norton said to download
> their
> firewall update first. I have their update and have been waiting
> and
> checking the windows update. Could the SP2 downloaded without me
> knowing
> before I turned it off?
>
> This is what I have when I typed WINVER:
>
> Version 5.1 (Build 2600 xpsp2.030422-1633: Service Pack 1)

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:43:01 -0700, "Helen"
<Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just got a new computer with XP last week. I am wondering if I have the
>SP2 as I have been waiting for the service pack in windows update. I had
>auto update, but, turned it off when I read Norton said to download their
>firewall update first. I have their update and have been waiting and
>checking the windows update. Could the SP2 downloaded without me knowing
>before I turned it off?
>
>This is what I have when I typed WINVER:
>
>Version 5.1 (Build 2600 xpsp2.030422-1633: Service Pack 1)

Don't forget to turn Automatic Updates back on, or you will never get
it [unless you download the Network Install package -- a 266 mb file
(not to be attempted if you only have a modem connection)].

Donald L McDaniel
Keep the thread intact
Post reply to original newsgroup

Helen

Jupiter, Denny and Donald, thanks for your prompt replies.

"Donald McDaniel" wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:43:01 -0700, "Helen"
> <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I just got a new computer with XP last week. I am wondering if I have the
> >SP2 as I have been waiting for the service pack in windows update. I had
> >auto update, but, turned it off when I read Norton said to download their
> >firewall update first. I have their update and have been waiting and
> >checking the windows update. Could the SP2 downloaded without me knowing
> >before I turned it off?
> >
> >This is what I have when I typed WINVER:
> >
> >Version 5.1 (Build 2600 xpsp2.030422-1633: Service Pack 1)
>
> Don't forget to turn Automatic Updates back on, or you will never get
> it [unless you download the Network Install package -- a 266 mb file
> (not to be attempted if you only have a modem connection)].
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Keep the thread intact
> Post reply to original newsgroup

"Donald McDaniel" <orthocrossNOSPAM@cablespeedDOTcom.invalid>
wrote in message news:sspuh05pc8q2l6kvi71p3sd0hagpiq1osv@4ax.com...
RE: XP SP2

(snipped ...)

> Don't forget to turn Automatic Updates back on, or you will never get
> it [unless you download the Network Install package -- a 266 mb file
> (not to be attempted if you only have a modem connection)].
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Keep the thread intact
> Post reply to original newsgroup

Considering the download size (266mb) and for those of us not on broadband,
would you know if XP SP2 will be available on CD-Rom ?

Regards ...

--

Dave
The Sec-RAT-ary

Yes, see #1 on this link:

Also the size for Express will be significantly smaller.
The more updates you have installed, the smaller the download will be
if you use Automatic Update.

IIRC 60mb was at the low end.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"The Sec-RAT-ary" <Dave@the-rats.org> wrote in message

> "Donald McDaniel" <orthocrossNOSPAM@cablespeedDOTcom.invalid>
> wrote in message news:sspuh05pc8q2l6kvi71p3sd0hagpiq1osv@4ax.com...
> RE: XP SP2
>
> (snipped ...)
>
>> Don't forget to turn Automatic Updates back on, or you will never
>> get
>> it [unless you download the Network Install package -- a 266 mb
>> file
>> (not to be attempted if you only have a modem connection)].
>>
>> Donald L McDaniel
>> Keep the thread intact
>> Post reply to original newsgroup
>
> Considering the download size (266mb) and for those of us not on
> broadband,
> would you know if XP SP2 will be available on CD-Rom ?
>
> Regards ...
>
> --
>
> Dave
> The Sec-RAT-ary
> Real Ale Tasting Society - R.A.T.S. ®
> www.the-rats.org

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com>
wrote in message news:eFMdSL2gEHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

Re: XP SP2 on CdRom ???

> Yes, see #1 on this link:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
>
> Also the size for Express will be significantly smaller.
> The more updates you have installed, the smaller the
> download will be if you use Automatic Update.
>
> IIRC 60mb was at the low end.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/