Diane

Is it possible that a weapon can become less effective after a time? What
I mean is, I got this really great sword. And, when I first used it, it
seemed like I only had to hit ANYTHING once and it died. Yeah, it had to
be repaired from time to time, but now it doesn't seem as effective as it
was before. Can a weapon get repaired so much as to deem it useless after
a time?

Diane

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:27:54 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Is it possible that a weapon can become less effective after a time? What
>I mean is, I got this really great sword. And, when I first used it, it
>seemed like I only had to hit ANYTHING once and it died. Yeah, it had to
>be repaired from time to time, but now it doesn't seem as effective as it
>was before. Can a weapon get repaired so much as to deem it useless after
>a time?
>
>Diane

Nope, damage doesn't go down on weapons, but monsters *do* get more
hitpoints (even the same monster type, sometimes) as you move through
the game.

ald
"Knowledge is Power"
VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
CotSRSig #16

Diane

ald <103175.3500@compuserve.com> wrote in

> Nope, damage doesn't go down on weapons, but monsters *do* get more
> hitpoints (even the same monster type, sometimes) as you move through
> the game.
>
> ald

Yeah, that's what's happening. Just after I posted that, I managed to
go up a lvl and suddenly it seemed like my sword was better again.
Maybe b/c I put a point in SM and another into IS which would build up
my defense. However, he's just swinging wildly quite a bit and not
connecting with anything, or so it seems. This is pissing me off.

Diane

Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> typed as if devouring a plate of spoo:
> ald <103175.3500@compuserve.com> wrote in
>

>> Nope, damage doesn't go down on weapons, but monsters *do* get more
>> hitpoints (even the same monster type, sometimes) as you move through
>> the game.
>>
>> ald
>

> Yeah, that's what's happening. Just after I posted that, I managed to
> go up a lvl and suddenly it seemed like my sword was better again.
> Maybe b/c I put a point in SM and another into IS which would build up
> my defense. However, he's just swinging wildly quite a bit and not
> connecting with anything, or so it seems. This is pissing me off.

Dex. *nods*
Ask any Amazon, the Joy of Dex is a good thing ;)

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

Diane

"EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com> wrote in news:3688d3F4uponoU1
@individual.net:

> Dex. *nods*
> Ask any Amazon, the Joy of Dex is a good thing ;)

OK, more point going into DEX. Thx.
Diane

Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> typed as if devouring a plate of spoo:
> "EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com> wrote in news:3688d3F4uponoU1
> @individual.net:
>

>> Dex. *nods*
>> Ask any Amazon, the Joy of Dex is a good thing ;)
>
> OK, more point going into DEX. Thx.
> Diane

Not too many for a barb, since his AR doesn't go up with much with points in
dex - but a few extra are always useful for a sword-user. :)

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

Watchman

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002

Diane wrote:

> Is it possible that a weapon can become less effective after a time? What
> I mean is, I got this really great sword. And, when I first used it, it
> seemed like I only had to hit ANYTHING once and it died. Yeah, it had to
> be repaired from time to time, but now it doesn't seem as effective as it
> was before. Can a weapon get repaired so much as to deem it useless after
> a time?
>
> Diane

Not in D2. However, as the level of mobs goes up they have more HP's so
your weapon will seemingly do less damage. This is especially true once
you enter NM and Hell difficulties.

Watchman :)
--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'

Diane

Watchman <stryder@SPAMPHOBICwhyalla.net.au> wrote in

> Not in D2. However, as the level of mobs goes up they have more HP's
> so your weapon will seemingly do less damage. This is especially true
> once you enter NM and Hell difficulties.
>
> Watchman :)

OK, well I'm playing Chaos Empire, but I would bet that the same rationale
holds true. Makes sense, which is why I might/should look around for
another sword.

Thanks.
Diane

Doc wrote:
> Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> stared blankly into space for a short
> while before writing:
> > "EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com> wrote in news:3688d3F4uponoU1
> > @individual.net:
> >

> >> Dex. *nods*
> >> Ask any Amazon, the Joy of Dex is a good thing ;)
> >
> > OK, more point going into DEX. Thx.
> > Diane
>
> My Barbs usually don't have much more dex than I need to weild my
> weapon, you get plenty of AR (attack rating) from Barb skills and
> masteries.
>
> Every few levels check your character screen, hover your mouse
pointer
> over "Attack Rating" and it will show your chance of hitting the last
> monster that you attacked (note that if the last monster was a
Fallen,
> it'll probably show up as 95% or so. This is misleading as Fallen are
> the easiest buggers to hit:). If this gets below about 75% (some like
it
> higher) then you are probably going to be missing a bit too often.
Cure?
> Add some dex or mastery.
>
> With Barbs, you would normally add skill points only to one
mastery...
> However, in SP games this can bite you on the bum. You get to about
lvl
> 70 or so with 20 (30 in CE) points in sword mastery, then find an
über
> axe :)

As to AR, there is one thing that is rarely mentioned, so I think the
time has come to make a point here:

A players chance to-hit is not just a function of his AR, it is also a
function of his level as opposed to that of the monster in question.
This can be seen when power leveling a character in the throne room in
normal mode. Without laying out a point in DEX or pumping any skill
that adds to AR, your chance to hit will steadily go up as you level
up. That being the case, a player needs to determine how far he/she
intends to go with the character at hand. If you intend to level them
up high, then the need to plop points into DEX for AR alone is just
about useless. With few exceptions, most monsters cap out at level 85
or so. That being the case, when you make level 90 or so, your chance
to hit them will be very high even if you haven't layed out a single
point in DEX. Now, if you wish to block, that is an equine of a
different hue. But for a Frnezy, or WW barb, a Pally, a spear chucker
or piker, a combat dog or a melee assassin, points in DEX should be
used with great care.

Mickey

Once upon a time - for example, Tue, 1 Feb 2005 04:23:46 -0000 - there
was this guy, or something, called "EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com>,
and they made us all feel better by saying the following stuff:

>>> Dex. *nods*
>>> Ask any Amazon, the Joy of Dex is a good thing ;)
>>
>> OK, more point going into DEX. Thx.
>> Diane
>
>Not too many for a barb, since his AR doesn't go up with much with points in
>dex - but a few extra are always useful for a sword-user. :)

I've found that it's impossible to wear decent armour unless you have
170 strength or more. But after that, it's best to add to dexterity
because you hit better, and your defence goes up all by itself. Plus,
if you're an Amazon, you can dodge stuff. It cuts down your fighting
effectiveness, but it keeps you alive.

C&J

--
Beware of Trojans, they're complete smegheads.

- 13 & 13b of 12, the CMM Collective.
- www.afrj-monkeyhouse.org

"Chucky & Janica" <janica.hindle@kolumbus.finland> wrote in message
> I've found that it's impossible to wear decent armour unless you have
> 170 strength or more.

Say what? What armors are you referring to? You can use an upped Duriel's
Shell or even an upped Shaftstop for less than 170 strength(upped Shaft
requires 158). You can also use many of the runeword armors(both expensive
ones like CoH and Fortitude, or cheap ones like Lionheart and Smoke) in a
light elite armor for much less than 170 strength. You could make a runeword
wire fleece for 111 strength. And these are some of the best armors for a
zon, so what on earth are you talking about that requires 170 strength?

> But after that, it's best to add to dexterity
> because you hit better, and your defence goes up all by itself. Plus,
> if you're an Amazon, you can dodge stuff. It cuts down your fighting
> effectiveness, but it keeps you alive.

Adding points to vitality keeps you alive much better than adding to
dexterity.

Hi,

Chucky & Janica <janica.hindle@kolumbus.finland> wrote in

> Once upon a time - for example, Tue, 1 Feb 2005 04:23:46 -0000 - there
> was this guy, or something, called "EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com>,
> and they made us all feel better by saying the following stuff:

>>Not too many for a barb, since his AR doesn't go up with much with
>>points in dex - but a few extra are always useful for a sword-user. :)
>
> I've found that it's impossible to wear decent armour unless you have
> 170 strength or more. But after that, it's best to add to dexterity
> because you hit better, and your defence goes up all by itself. Plus,
> if you're an Amazon, you can dodge stuff. It cuts down your fighting
> effectiveness, but it keeps you alive.

which decent armor do you wear that requires 170 strength? Upgraded
Duriel's Shell or STONE runeword in a Wyrmhide armor give about 1600 def
and are less than 120 STR to wear.

Regards,

Oliver

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

"Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote in news:41fff823
@duster.adelaide.on.net:

> With Barbs, you would normally add skill points only to one mastery...
> However, in SP games this can bite you on the bum. You get to about
lvl
> 70 or so with 20 (30 in CE) points in sword mastery, then find an über
> axe :)

Oh no. I hate hearing this. I specialize in swords, and I've never
bothered at all with an axe. Well, I've been bringing my sword mastery
up very nicely. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to throw some pts into axe
mastery. I just hate wasting the points tho.

I especially enjoy chain lightening. How can I acquire that?

Diane

Hi,

"Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote in news:41fff823
@duster.adelaide.on.net:

> With Barbs, you would normally add skill points only to one mastery...
> However, in SP games this can bite you on the bum. You get to about lvl
> 70 or so with 20 (30 in CE) points in sword mastery, then find an über
> axe :)

that's why all my barbs only use axes. Most runewords work in axes and
there is always crafting axes with the blood recipe.

Regards,

Oliver

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:20:27 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Oh no. I hate hearing this. I specialize in swords, and I've never
>bothered at all with an axe. Well, I've been bringing my sword mastery
>up very nicely. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to throw some pts into axe
>mastery. I just hate wasting the points tho.
>
>I especially enjoy chain lightening. How can I acquire that?
>
>Diane

There aren't many ways to get it on your sword, none that I know of,
but if you hire an Act 3 Lightning Merc, he has it ;-)

Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> wrote in

> "Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote in news:41fff823
> @duster.adelaide.on.net:
>

>> With Barbs, you would normally add skill points only to one mastery...
>> However, in SP games this can bite you on the bum. You get to about
> lvl
>> 70 or so with 20 (30 in CE) points in sword mastery, then find an über
>> axe :)
>>

> Oh no. I hate hearing this. I specialize in swords, and I've never
> bothered at all with an axe. Well, I've been bringing my sword mastery
> up very nicely. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to throw some pts into axe
> mastery. I just hate wasting the points tho.
>
> I especially enjoy chain lightening. How can I acquire that?

I wouldn't split points between masteries, as this is kind of a waste. If
you already have about 10 points in swords, I'd stay with that.

Chain lightning on swords could be acquired through the runeword Crescent
Moon. It casts a level 17 CL on striking and level 13 Static field, too.
Runes required are SHAEL, UM and TIR.

Regards,

Oliver

Diane

Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in news:ctpseg$eg$01$1@news.t-
online.com:

> that's why all my barbs only use axes. Most runewords work in axes and
> there is always crafting axes with the blood recipe.
>
> Regards,
>
> Oliver

I had no idea. So, we live and learn. Perhaps one day I'll start a new
barb and try the axe, but at this point I've so much invested into sword
mastery, it's simply too late to make a change.

> There aren't many ways to get it on your sword, none that I know of,
> but if you hire an Act 3 Lightning Merc, he has it ;-)
>
> ald

OK, so what I have now is the Blitzen Composite Bow on my merc with 20%
chance to cast chain lightening. Seems she's doing a whole lot more
killing than I am b/c of it. I love it!!!

> I wouldn't split points between masteries, as this is kind of a waste.
> If you already have about 10 points in swords, I'd stay with that.
>
> Chain lightning on swords could be acquired through the runeword
> Crescent Moon. It casts a level 17 CL on striking and level 13 Static
> field, too. Runes required are SHAEL, UM and TIR.
>
> Regards,
>
> Oliver

I haven't split points between masteries. At this point, I have 24 pts
in sword mastery and I'll stick with that. My other points are 2 in
Increased Stamina, 8 in Iron Skin, 2 in Bash, 3 in Leap, 9 in Double
Swing, 2 in Double Throw, 2 in Stun, 2 in Concentrate, 2 in Howl, 2 in
Taunt, 2 in Find Potion, and 3 in Find Item. The point in Leap were
granted to me my an item.

As for the runes, if I need SHAEL, UM AND TIR, thus far I have the UM
and the TIR. I still need to find the SHAEL.

Thanks for the advice.
Diane

Diane

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in news:36b6lkF4ulcsvU1
@individual.net:

> It seems a lot of CE (from reading here) has things that go back to D1.
> Cool. I liked Blitzen in D1.
> --
> ~misfit~

Yep, I won't be giving it up anytime soon, he he.

Diane

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> stared blankly into space for a short
while before writing:
> "Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote in news:41fff823
> @duster.adelaide.on.net:
>

>> With Barbs, you would normally add skill points only to one
>> mastery... However, in SP games this can bite you on the bum. You
>> get to about lvl 70 or so with 20 (30 in CE) points in sword
>> mastery, then find an über axe :)
>>

> Oh no. I hate hearing this. I specialize in swords, and I've never
> bothered at all with an axe. Well, I've been bringing my sword
> mastery up very nicely. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to throw some pts
> into axe mastery. I just hate wasting the points tho.

Arrgh!!

Sorry, that wasn't the intention of my post. I was trying to say that
you should only put points in one mastery, but be prepared to be
dissapointed that you don't have points in a different mastery when you
find that nice axe or mace class weapon in the future.

--
Doc

Diane

"Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote in news:42007351$1
@duster.adelaide.on.net:

> Arrgh!!
>
> Sorry, that wasn't the intention of my post. I was trying to say that
> you should only put points in one mastery, but be prepared to be
> dissapointed that you don't have points in a different mastery when you
> find that nice axe or mace class weapon in the future.

Oh Doc. Don't worry. I'll not be disappointed. I'm focusing my attention
on equipping myself with the best swords I can find, and since I'm playing
CE, it's not hard to find good swords. Thanks.

> Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in
>

>> I wouldn't split points between masteries, as this is kind of a waste.
>> If you already have about 10 points in swords, I'd stay with that.
>>
>> Chain lightning on swords could be acquired through the runeword
>> Crescent Moon. It casts a level 17 CL on striking and level 13 Static
>> field, too. Runes required are SHAEL, UM and TIR.
>>

> I haven't split points between masteries. At this point, I have 24 pts
> in sword mastery and I'll stick with that. My other points are 2 in
> Increased Stamina, 8 in Iron Skin, 2 in Bash, 3 in Leap, 9 in Double
> Swing, 2 in Double Throw, 2 in Stun, 2 in Concentrate, 2 in Howl, 2 in
> Taunt, 2 in Find Potion, and 3 in Find Item. The point in Leap were
> granted to me my an item.
>
> As for the runes, if I need SHAEL, UM AND TIR, thus far I have the UM
> and the TIR. I still need to find the SHAEL.

what's your main attack skill - Double Swing? Stop putting points in
Double Swing, it will only increase Attack rating. At least, until you
find it difficult to hit things.. The only skills that increase the
damage of DS is your mastery and Bash.

Most barbs put lots of points into Battle Orders - it will increase your
life/stamina/mana by x percent for y seconds.

SHAEL should be lots easier to find than an UM.

Anyhow, and mebbe you don't want to hear this, but with this current
skill points assignment, I'd scrap that char and start over. Otherwise,
start putting points into Shout, Battle Orders and Battle Command. Also,
swithc to Concentrate as your main attack (skill points in BO also
increases damage of Conc).

Finally, I might be completely wrong, as I have absolutely no experience
with mods (like CE).

Regards,

Oliver

Diane

Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in news:ctr9n3$6l2$00$1@news.t-
online.com:

> what's your main attack skill - Double Swing? Stop putting points in
> Double Swing, it will only increase Attack rating. At least, until you
> find it difficult to hit things.. The only skills that increase the
> damage of DS is your mastery and Bash.

OK, so I'll have to put points into Bash.

> Most barbs put lots of points into Battle Orders - it will increase
your
> life/stamina/mana by x percent for y seconds.
>
> SHAEL should be lots easier to find than an UM.

Well, I only got access to BO this level and I didn't think to put a
point into it. So, I'll have to work on that. But, I was thinking that
BO was more for MP than SP. Well, believe it or not, I currently have 3
UM's and no SHAEL's.

> Anyhow, and mebbe you don't want to hear this, but with this current
> skill points assignment, I'd scrap that char and start over.
Otherwise,
> start putting points into Shout, Battle Orders and Battle Command.
Also,
> swithc to Concentrate as your main attack (skill points in BO also
> increases damage of Conc).

Wow, sounds like I've constructed this character completely wrong. Oh
boy, I really don't know what I'm going to do. I need to think about
this for a bit.

> Finally, I might be completely wrong, as I have absolutely no
experience
> with mods (like CE).
>
> Regards,
>
> Oliver

Well, it IS a bit different that D2 I'll say that. Maybe you should
think about giving it a shot. It's really a great mod. For as far as
I've gotten which is into Andy's lair, and then I got killed of course
b/c I didn't have any experience with these minions of hers, but for as
far as I've gotten, it's a whole lot more fun than D2, at least that's
my opinion. It sure has my attention, not that I'm addicted or
anything.

Diane