Connecting two BEFW11S4 routers to share broadband

Glenn

My current setup is this. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 connected to my
cable modem to broadcast wireless internet. What I want to do is
connect another BEFW11S4 (that I already have) to that router using
the wireless transmission. This way I can have increased range as my
main router does not broadcast a long-range signal. What I want to
end up with in the end is having two BEFW11S4 routers connected
without any wires (except from the modem to one of the routers) to be
able to share my broadband connection by connecting wirelessly to
either router. Can this be done with the equipment I have?? Thanks.

Glenn

On 6 Aug 2004 10:44:19 -0700, razorgt@softhome.net (Glenn) wrote:

>My current setup is this. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 connected to my
>cable modem to broadcast wireless internet. What I want to do is
>connect another BEFW11S4 (that I already have) to that router using
>the wireless transmission. This way I can have increased range as my
>main router does not broadcast a long-range signal. What I want to
>end up with in the end is having two BEFW11S4 routers connected
>without any wires (except from the modem to one of the routers) to be
>able to share my broadband connection by connecting wirelessly to
>either router. Can this be done with the equipment I have?? Thanks.

Sure. You want to setup the 2nd BEFW11S4 as an access point, instead
of a router. You do this by totally ignoring the WAN port. By
"connect", I'll assume that you can run a CAT5 cable between the two
radios. You cannot use WDS (repeater mode) with the BEFW11S4.

From a previous posting:

You will need to deal with the following issues on the 2nd access
point:
1. Don't attach anything to the WAN port. It's not needed.
2. Use the same SSID on both radios.
3. Disable the DHCP server on the 2nd radio.
4. If the two radios can hear each other, use different channels
(channels 1, 6, or 11). If they are well isolated, the same channel
may be used.
5. You probably do NOT need a CAT5 crossover cable as most AP's have
some means of dealing with the ethernet cable polarity. Watch the
lights.
6. If you are using MAC address filtering on the main wireless
router, then you'll need to configure the 2nd access point in exactly
the same manner.
7. The official limit is 100m of CAT5 cable, but I know it will work
to about 900ft of cable. If you're using junk wire, CAT3, etc, about
30m is the limit. Since most routers offer no manual control over the
10/100 speed, you will have problems with >100m runs if it switches to
100baseT. Therefore you may need to install a 10baseT only hub in the
circuit to force the speed to stay at 10baseT HDX.

I'm sure I forgot something, so don't assume this is everything you
need to know.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On 6 Aug 2004 10:44:19 -0700, razorgt@softhome.net (Glenn) wrote:

>What I want to
>end up with in the end is having two BEFW11S4 routers connected
>without any wires (except from the modem to one of the routers) to be
>able to share my broadband connection by connecting wirelessly to
>either router.

Sorry. I misread your posting. (Remind me not to yack on the phone
while posting). You can't do that with the BEFW11S4 and the current
firmware incantation. You need WDS (Wireless Distribution Something)
to turn the radios into repeaters. You're only option is to run a
CAT5 cable between the radios.

"Glenn" <razorgt@softhome.net> wrote in message
> My current setup is this. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 connected to my
> cable modem to broadcast wireless internet. What I want to do is
> connect another BEFW11S4 (that I already have) to that router using
> the wireless transmission. This way I can have increased range as my
> main router does not broadcast a long-range signal. What I want to
> end up with in the end is having two BEFW11S4 routers connected
> without any wires (except from the modem to one of the routers) to be
> able to share my broadband connection by connecting wirelessly to
> either router. Can this be done with the equipment I have?? Thanks.
>
> Glenn
Not that I could find. As far as I can figure out the BEFW11S4 will not act
as a bridge. If I'm wrong someone please tell me because I've tried to do
something similar and it didn't work.
AG

> 5. You probably do NOT need a CAT5 crossover cable as most AP's have
> some means of dealing with the ethernet cable polarity. Watch the
> lights.

Sorry to pick nits, but Auto MDI/MDI-X is not the same thing as Auto
Polarity. Auto Polarity corrects incorrect wiring which was sloppy with the
+ and - wires within a pair. Auto MDI/MDI-X detects whether it is necessary
to switch the pairs so that one station is transmitting on one pair and the
other station is transmitting on the other pair.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.