Sign in with
Your question

SHOULD I WAIT TO BUY A NEW GAMING PC?!?!

Last response: in Video Games
August 15, 2007 11:10:58 PM

I have saved up quite a bit of money, and plan to blow it all on a new gaming PC, the question is should I wait? or go ahead and throw down some serious cash? Is PCI-Express 2.0 coming out soon enough? Should I wait for AMD's 4x4 platform?.........? Is this technology expected to be available by next spring?...Any comments/response is welcome! Thanks!

More about : wait buy gaming

August 16, 2007 9:04:11 AM

Wait, there's no point in speculating as to what might play the new DX10 games now, wait till December when there will be new chip sets, CPU's, and graphics cards, and there will actually be benchmarks for the DX10 games, then build.

Seriously, you'll kick yourself if you build now and in 2 months time you're system isn't good enough, when you could have waited a bit and got a kick *** system that dominates everything for the same price.

Besides, you're current setup looks good enough to carry you for at least another couple months.
August 16, 2007 9:21:35 PM

Well are there any rumors as to when PCI-Express 2.0 and AMD 4x4 might come out?
Related resources
August 16, 2007 10:25:29 PM

PCIE 2 should be out with the next set of Intel and AMD chipsets which are coming out in the next couple weeks, AMD will probably have phenom (new desktop dual and quad cores) out around November-December and nVidia will have new graphics cards around November as well, so there's a lot of new hardware about to be released to the masses, and a good number of DX10 games between now and December to, so you can see how the new hardware performs on DX10.
August 17, 2007 12:57:29 AM

GeoMan said:

Seriously, you'll kick yourself if you build now and in 2 months time you're system isn't good enough, when you could have waited a bit and got a kick *** system that dominates everything for the same price.

I highly doubt current systems running quad cores or the e6xxx line of core 2's are going to not be good enough. They are actually ahead of their time because games and apps right now don't utilize two cores, let alone four. And other than ddr3, ram isn't going anywhere fast. The same with HDD's, other than speed. And now that mobos are being futureproofed, such as gigabyte's p35c-ds3r, which boasts support for ddr3 and the penryn line of Intel cpus, they will be ready for dx10 and the future also. The only thing I'd worry about upgrading are video cards, because those get dated fast.
August 17, 2007 4:40:52 AM

Actually new cpu's only will give you so much. Read this article comparing gpu/cpu combinations. My amd cpu X2 4400 (duel core socket 939 running ddr2gb) still kicks butt with a cheap 320mb 8800 gts(£150).
What you upgrading from.
For as little as £50-100 you can get an awesome duel cpu right now. PCI express mark 2-well nice as it sounds-not going to impact that much initially-maybe in a year or two but by then something else will be on the horizon.
My advice-build a system thats Mid range with a good gpu-and spend £100-200 every year or two to upgrade and youll get the best bang for buck every year.
I'm still on ddr1 and beating 96% of all machines tested on 3dmark 05-running vista(thats actually good),direct 10 ready and not spending thousand every couple of years-oh and very happy to be a pc gamer(except we dont jhave guitar hero-damn).
August 17, 2007 8:00:30 AM

Even if there weren't new CPU's and chipsets coming, i'd still wait for the new nVidia cards in November.

Crysis will start to utilize quad cores properly, as will the new valve engine, so future games will start to utilize multiple cores much better, hence i'd wait for the new quads as well, just to see how they stack up.
August 17, 2007 5:35:59 PM

So did I make a mistake by upgrading to an e6600 a month ago?
August 17, 2007 6:12:23 PM

AMD's 4x4 has been out for a long time. You only get one choice of a dual-socket motherboard and FX70,FX72 or FX74. The 4x4 currently isn't a good system and we'll have to wait to see if K10 will be better for it.
August 17, 2007 9:57:24 PM

no you didnt .thats still a sweet cpu.!mines o/c ed to 3.5ghz on air... 33-37 idle,48-52 full load. 3-dmark 06=12400+ 8800gtx s/c
August 17, 2007 10:50:29 PM

Eucharistadorer, I don't think you waisted you're money, its still a sweet CPU. I'm still using my good ol AMD 4200 X2 which has seen a lot of service, I've got the money, but I'm still putting off my next build because of 2 main factors.

I want to see how a couple DX10 games run on the new DX10 cards and if newer games will actually use two or more cores effectively.

That and i have the luxury of time, I'm going to be starting a new 3 month contract soon, so I'll be living in the bush somewhere looking at rocks. So i wont be put out by not being able to play the new games i want because of my computer. It will be because I'm probably going to be out in the sun, running away from snakes, angry locals and catching malaria :) 

As it stands now, many games claim to be dual core optimized, like Supreme Commander, but if i keep the system monitor running, I still see one core running a good solid 98% usage, and the other core as little as 5% usage. Duel core optimized my a**

So if i had to upgrade in the last couple months i would have got the e6600, or the e6750 if I'd waited for the price drops, because they give the best bang for you're buck right now... for gaming, which is the only criteria in any of my builds, i don't care if i have to wait an extra 20 min when encoding movies, i do care how good my game experinece is.

But don't worry, even if i do decide to get a 4 core phenom, Intel will release a new killer chip a couple months later, then AMD will come back with the next Intel killer after that and so on. I just want to see if Crysis, the new valve engine, and Hellgate London play well on duels or quads and what graphics card to get.
August 18, 2007 4:08:01 AM

GeoMan said:
Eucharistadorer, I don't think you waisted you're money, its still a sweet CPU. I'm still using my good ol AMD 4200 X2 which has seen a lot of service, I've got the money, but I'm still putting off my next build because of 2 main factors.

That's good to know, thanks.
!