FSX and www.avsim.com hit rock bottom?

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anyone else think www.avsim.com content quality is at rock bottom?

It used to be a pretty good resource site to address issues with Microsoft's flight sim series. Now the site has turned into more of a PR site for Phil Taylor (Microsoft Flight sims project manager). And what is with their "forum" layout? Seems like a left over format from circa 1998.

I was reading thru some interesting 32bit vs 64bit thread that has now just vanished. Too bad it was one of the few times I got to some non-filter info.

They used to have some good resources for information there, but now it only seems to be a PR forum or a forum for the good old boys club where "JackDanielsDrinker" is deemed a valuable asset (serious). I know FSX has got some serious problems:

1. Performance issues remain with SP1
2. Blurry scenery
3. Popping buildings
4. 32bit limitations
5. no SLI support

Too bad the good resource sites for FSX seem to be disappearing.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why? Does someone need to agree Jack? Aaah, the follower mentality.

Phil "PR" Taylor has lead the FS community down a slippery road of deception. And now we find out more details for the Train Sim crew about the FSX engine that we all suspected for a long time. A re-write of the FSX engine should have happed between FS9 and FSX, but didn't. Phil was damage control for that lack of effort.

Then there was the SP1 to SP2 and the problems that caused the third party community.

So compatibility got tossed, the engine wasn't re-written, and we got rewarded with a bunch of bugs that were not fixed in SP2 and some new bugs introduced in SP2 -- yeah, I can see Phil did a great "service" to the FS community. Who is AVSIM serving? If I want to read an advertisment site, I will. Just look at the AVSIM reviews of aircraft, they ALWAYS end the review on "add that to my stable" -- I guess everyone gets a "A" for effort? Is that the deal? Well that doesn't help anyone except those pimping their products -- and that is what AVSIM appears to be about.

The fact you even bothered to search for this very old thread is surprising.

JackDanielsDrinker

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
I didn't bother to search for this thread. I found it accidentally searching for radeon 4850 fsx or something. I thought it was hillarious that a: I found it, and b: it existed.

Don't worry, you drove Phil to reduce his communications and shut down his blog's comments. Too much venom...

I agree with the aircraft reviews...they always (on balance) like them.