Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 RC Upgrade

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 25, 2009 1:32:18 PM

Hey everyone,

I built my PC around 1 month ago and I am using the Windows 7 RC. I am really liking it and want to get it when it comes out but...

...Do I have the option to buy an Upgrade disk, or will I have to buy the regular version?

More about : windows upgrade

a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2009 7:02:42 PM

To add to scotteg's post, you can use the Easy Transfer Wizard to save your files and settings before you do a clean install of W7 to another drive or cd/dvd.
This utility works great, so you can save your Address book, Favorites and cookies so you can log onto your forums without having to remember all the passwords and enter again.
m
l
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 25, 2009 10:39:15 PM

To activate the Win7 upgrade disk, you need a valid license key from a previous version of Windows. So if you have no previous version of Windows for this machine, you'll need to buy a full version of Win7.

I've seen some folks claiming that you can activate the upgrade version if you have an activated RC installation, but I find that pretty difficult to believe.
m
l
September 26, 2009 4:56:05 AM

We will know what will constitute as "Authentic" as soon as MS releases the DVD's.
It has been kept quiet. Makes me believe the spectrum is broad. (SPECULATION)
I am running the 90 day Enterprise. I pre-purchased W7 Pro when it came out for the $99.99 deal. I'll be giving that (The Upgrade) the work out just because I am obsessed ,OCD or what ever they call it. What I think will end up happining is the upgrade W7 will go to my wife's laptop and Ultimate (From "House Party") will go on my PC. I have a copy of XP Pro X64 that I bought brand new maybe 3-4 years ago, can you believe $39.00, just sitting in the drawer. My wife didnt lke it because spell check did not, will not, never will work ( you can work around it but she wont).
Nobody is listining are they???, OK dont tell them that MS purges OS keys like every 6 months anyway. You ever noticed if you have to reinstall an OS like a year later it goes right through? With-in a couple of months you have to call, right? You get where I am going. Anyway its all part of the obsession.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2009 7:40:57 PM

sminlal said:
To activate the Win7 upgrade disk, you need a valid license key from a previous version of Windows. So if you have no previous version of Windows for this machine, you'll need to buy a full version of Win7.

I've seen some folks claiming that you can activate the upgrade version if you have an activated RC installation, but I find that pretty difficult to believe.

While it's possible (not recommended) to upgrade W7RC and Microsoft allow it, the problem arises when you need to reinstall after the expiration date of the RC, when you will need to have a valid legal Windows disk with serial key to enter.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2009 12:02:30 AM

sminlal and I have one at it before over this question... Notice that in in the blog that sminlal referenced, the answer to the last question says that you will have to do a "custom install". A custom install is possible with the upgrade disk. The real question is whether or not the RC qualifies as the necessary previous version of Windows. Here's my source that says it does: Dwight Silverman's blog post. I guess no one really knows until Oct. 22. Until then, it's unsure.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2009 12:14:53 AM

Bolbi said:
sminlal and I have one at it before over this question... Notice that in in the blog that sminlal referenced, the answer to the last question says that you will have to do a "custom install". A custom install is possible with the upgrade disk. The real question is whether or not the RC qualifies as the necessary previous version of Windows. Here's my source that says it does: Dwight Silverman's blog post. I guess no one really knows until Oct. 22. Until then, it's unsure.

A quote from his article July 10, 2009,
"But there's a catch. If for some reason you later need to reinstall the finished version of Windows 7 from scratch using the upgrade copy you bought, you'll first need to install and activate Windows XP or Vista"
is much the same thing I said, main difference I did read on another Windows 7 forum more recently, a reply by someone stating they were part of the Microsoft team that instalation would not be required, but you would need to insert the disk and product key when prompted.
As you say we will know soon enough, but it's a pity Microsoft couldn't have supplied this information on their Windows 7 page at least.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 27, 2009 1:48:07 AM

Bolbi said:
The real question is whether or not the RC qualifies as the necessary previous version of Windows. Here's my source that says it does: Dwight Silverman's blog post. I guess no one really knows until Oct. 22. Until then, it's unsure.

The reason why I'm really, really skeptical about this one is that I believe Dwight and/or his "Microsoft Source" have mixed up the difference between these questions:

- "Is it possible to upgrade from RC to RTM" (the technical capability to do an upgrade), and

- "does RC qualify as a previous version for licensing purposes"

I believe that the information from the "Microsoft source" about doing the custom install and having the old installation end up in the "Windows.old" folder answers the first question, not the second. I say this because I've done a "custom install" of the RC on top of a previous RC version, and was still asked for a license key.

Hopefully we'll know for sure in a few more weeks...
m
l
!