Windows 7/8 Install on SSD.

Proverbs

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hey guys. I'm buying a new 120GB SSD which I plan to partition into two 50GB Partitions for Win7/8 (the remaining 20GB will be used for a Linux Distro at some point).

I own a 3 license upgrade of Win7, I've used 1 on my laptop, and will use another on the first partition of the SSD. Now what I want to know is can I just image that partition, buy the $40 win8 upgrade, and then put that image back on the other 50GB partition? Since I only have 2 licenses to work with I don't really just want to blow one so I can upgrade it to win8.

I don't think there's any other way of doing it. I have win7 on my laptop which has a friend mobo, but I read you can't transfer a HDD install to a SSD and I'll be forced to use at least 1 license.

Additionally is there anyway to make a backup disk that I can do a complete install with and not worry about using licensing or are those days pretty much over now?

Thanks for the help - Tanner.

PS - This may have needed to be created in the Win 7 forum? Not sure please feel free to move.

Solution

You'll probably be able to use the 7 for a while, but having used the licence to upgrade to 8, eventually the 7 install will display the Msg 'This copy of Windows is not Genuine' and gradually shut down operations. (your desktop background disappears 1st). Wait and see what the full version of 8 is going to cost, see if you can do it cheaper by buying a copy of XP on Ebay for about $60 and upgrading...
As far as I know the Win8 upgrade will absorb your Win 7 licence, ie you will only have one OS operating on one Win 7 licence plus the 8 upgrade. To run 7 and 8 on the one drive will require two licences,but there is nothing to stop you buying an OEM XP licence and using that on the 2nd partition to upgrade, thus preserving your 3rd 7 licence

Kajcha

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Well, I'd use the 2nd Win7 to do a fresh install on SSD. While installing, you should format partitions in to 3 parts. When there pops up 1 called System reserved, you should see 4 of them. Now click on the 2nd 1 and delete it, and then extend the System Reserved partiton and click on it, then proceed with the installation.
When you install Windows 7, just wait for the 8 to come out and when it does, buy a retail version, or just download retail version.
After download, you need to make a disc.
Use PowerISO.
You just open the w8.iso and click Burn (slowest speeds)...
After that you insert that disc, and boot from it.
Just select the 2nd partiton and install.

I suspect the full retail value of 8 will be considerably higher than the introductory upgrade offer...

Proverbs

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
So I couldn't image the drive with win 7 installed, upgrade it to win 8, and then throw that win7 image back on the 2nd partition and run it? I really don't want to buy a retail version of win 8 or nerf my last license :(

You'll probably be able to use the 7 for a while, but having used the licence to upgrade to 8, eventually the 7 install will display the Msg 'This copy of Windows is not Genuine' and gradually shut down operations. (your desktop background disappears 1st). Wait and see what the full version of 8 is going to cost, see if you can do it cheaper by buying a copy of XP on Ebay for about $60 and upgrading...

Solution

Proverbs

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
I have a copy of XP already which I plan on installing and upgrading to 7 via 1 of my licenses. But since I can't image the drive like I would have wanted I guess I'll either wait and see how much retail 8 is or if they even support a XP > 8 upgrade. Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: They are offering a $40 upgrade from XP to 8, this solves the whole problem. No idea why I didn't think of this. :cry: