LAN Problem

I have just installed XP on a computer that previously ran under
Win98SE. I had that computer networked with one running Win2000 Pro,
and was able to access shared folders and printers from either machine
to the other.

With XP installed, the workgroup shows on each machine, and each shows
both computers as belonging to the workgroup. I can access the shared
folders on the XP machine from the W2K machine, but not the reverse.
When I try to open any shared folder on the W2K machine from the XP
machine, a dialog box comes up saying that the folder is not accessible
and that I may not be have permission to use the network resource.

The two computers are connected to a router/switcher, and both can
access the Internet, indicating that the NICs are functioning properly.
(This is exactly the same configuration I used with Win98SE.)

I have NetBUI and TCP/IP installed on both machines, and each machine is
configured with its assigned IP address, gateway, etc.

Before I tear out what little hair I have left, please someone tell me
what is wrong and what I have to do to correct it.

Bob
--
Remove spam-suppression X from my address

Hi, :)

Xp has tighter security settings by default.

Go to Local Security Policy, +Local Policies, Security
Optons.

In right pane Look for Network Access: Sharing and
security model for local accounts.
Cnage to Classic - Local users authenticate as themselves.

Go to Shared Docucuments (or any folder you want to
share.)
0 Share ths folder
Share Name
Comment
0 Max limit
Click on Permissions button.
remove everyone
Add Authenticated users (box opens, click advanced,
schroll to authenicates users select, ok out

System will take 24 to 72 minutes to chat with each other
via broswer sevive for shares to show up get remembered.
(I think)

MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE FILE AND PRINT SHARING ON THE
EXTERNAL NET CONNECTION.

you can also remove netbui form the local net. I think
that Noveul? netbios is built into F&P and MS client.:)

SJ

P. S. Better have complex pass words on your accounts and
think about doing regular computer work under a user
account.Work on tuesday-thrusday, play admin on Sat-Sun
or visa versa.