Help, I've been zealed

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 1, 2005 2:17:05 PM

I finally joined the dark side and tried a pally. Oh boy, isn't he
confusing? Why does he have gazillions of spells, each looks useful but
can't be turned on all at once? Resist Fire, Resist Cold, Resist
Lightning. Great, so do I need to hit the keys real fast that the game
thinks I have resistance to all those elements?

My pally is now lvl 47, 190 stat points & 46 skill points saved. He
deals whopping 4-14 damage with his yellow Sabre given by the ever
generous Grizwold of Tristram, the rest of the gears include white
Sash, white Targe, white light gauntlets, and other über items.

I learned few basic things about pally yesterday. Zealot = Fanatic /
Freezer / Shocker (ummm, why no roaster?). Hammerhead = Concentrate.
Avenger = Convicted. Medic = ?
Avenger looks fun, but maybe to slow in killing the baddies. Medic
doesn't like to solo. Hammerhead has gotta be the most boring character
there is. Okay, okay, before you chase my neck for saying your
Hammerhead is boring, I know he's very powerful, possibly the most
powerful. I've seen a lot of Enigmadins raising their batons yelling
"Yay! Yay!" But uh, excuse me, Mr. Hammerhead, Sir, the Cheerleader
audition was last week.

Anyways, Fanatic Zealot seems to be the most interesting build to me.
Plus don't those two words go together anyways?
So would you folks provide your invaluable insights on this matter?

Sacrifice = 20
Zeal = 5 or 20? Since the #hits is topped at 5.
Fanaticism = 20
Holy Shield = ??
Non prerequisites = ??

I see three ways to deal with PI's right now. Weapon switch. Vengeance.
Any one of the 3 Holy's. Which would you recommend?

How about item selections? Let's suppose I have access to all
uniques and sets. Please suggest any runewords too as you see fit.
This is what I'm currently thinking (never say I can afford all
these).

(Oh yeah, Griz set with the right socketings can be devastating, but
this is way out of my league, so let's skip that pls)

Hat: Andy's, Guillame
Body: Duriel (upgraded?), Guardian Angel (upgraded?), Duress, upgraded
(twice?) Twitchroe, Glad Bane
R Hand: Stormlash, Death Cleaver, Azurewrath, Crescent Moon phase
blade, Schaeffer, Heaven's Light, Asteron, Famine berserker axe.
L Hand: HoZ (no other worthy contenders here)
Gloves: Dracul's (ditto)
Shoes: Goreriders (ditto)
Belt: Verdungo, Nosferatu, String of Ears
Neck: Highlord, Mara, Metalgrid
R Finger: Raven Frost
L Finger: Bul Kathos, Dwarf Star, Wisp Projector

How about his companion? Might, Defiance, Holy Freeze, or Prayer?
Suppose he is a Might one with Beast, would it make a good Zealot with
0 Fanaticsm, 20 in either HF or HS?

How about a Might desert warrior with Beast stick, Holy Freeze Zealot
with Dream helm, Exile shield, and Azurewrath? Won't that make him
pretty with 6 auras? :)

More about : zealed

February 1, 2005 6:02:00 PM

Chris Lansdell wrote:

> A couple of other options that you didn't mention. They're not
optimal, but
> they work nicely...
>
> Lawbringer in a 3s +3 fanat caduceus or such. The 20% chane to cast
lvl18
> Decrep is guaranteed to go off every Zeal, thereby removing the PI.
> Reaper's Toll on the merc.
> Upped Fetid Sprinkler CAN cast Decrep, but more often casts Confuse
which
> can allow you to escape.

Uh yeah, when I was browsing thru the runeword list I noticed that. I
also considered Reaper's on desert warrior. But at a quick glance, I
don't think it's a good idea to have other curse casting item. My guess
is that the Life Tap in Dracul's will activate most of the time since
Zeal is fast, and that should help taking care of leech requirements.

> Open Wounds combined with ele dmg will allow you to keep the PI guy
> bleeding.

What weapon does this? Azure does quite a bit of elemental damage, but
I don't remember it having OW.
This is my first attempt at pally, and third attempt at a melee char
(other two being IK barbs), fourth if melee Enchantress counts. Since
I've been playing mostly sorcies, I never pay attention to
melee-oriented items. So now I have no idea what choices are there
(well, maybe I now have the basic idea after talking to several people
and browse the runeword list).
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 8:12:53 PM

"Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
?news:1107285425.869663.236450@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

> I finally joined the dark side and tried a pally. Oh boy, isn't he
confusing? Why does he have gazillions of spells, each looks useful but
can't be turned on all at once? Resist Fire, Resist Cold, Resist Lightning.
Great, so do I need to hit the keys real fast that the game thinks I have
resistance to all those elements?

No, you only can have one on at a time. However, Salvation adds to all your
resistances at once though.

>I learned few basic things about pally yesterday. Zealot = Fanatic /
Freezer / Shocker (ummm, why no roaster?).

Cause Holy Fire is much weaker damage wise than Holy Shock and Holy Freeze.

> Anyways, Fanatic Zealot seems to be the most interesting build to me.
> Plus don't those two words go together anyways?
> So would you folks provide your invaluable insights on this matter?

Considering zealots are my build of choice, gladly.

> Sacrifice = 20

Yes.

> Zeal = 5 or 20? Since the #hits is topped at 5.

20, but max it last. It does boost your damage(from point 5 onwards it adds
damage) and AR.

> Fanaticism = 20

Yep.

> Holy Shield = ??

20.

> Non prerequisites = ??

Get one in Vigor and all it's pre-reqs. One in Salvation is optional, some
people want it, some do not. One in Vengeance for anti-PI use. After your
main 4 skills are maxed, you have 1 in each pre-req, and one in
Vigor/Salvation/other skills you want, you can put points in
Defiance(synergizes Holy Shield) or the single resistance auras(for every 2
points you have in Resist Fire/Cold/Lightning, you get +1 to your MAX
resists in that element)

> I see three ways to deal with PI's right now. Weapon switch. Vengeance.
Any one of the 3 Holy's. Which would you recommend?

Weapon switch works. Especially if you have a Gimmershreds on switch, cause
you can use them as an anti-IM weapon as well. Or you could make a
Lawbringer, zeal till the decrep casts(usually removing the immunity) then
switch back to your main weapon. You could also use Reaper's Toll on your
merc. The Holy auras require too many skill points to use as an anti-PI
weapon on a fanatic zealot, so just get a point in vengeance to help out
till you get a good elemental weapon.

> Hat: Andy's, Guillame

Both good choices. Crown of Ages is very good too(probably my first choice,
it or Guillames), and even the old shako is nice.

> Body: Duriel (upgraded?), Guardian Angel (upgraded?), Duress, upgraded
(twice?) Twitchroe, Glad Bane

Glad's Bane and Twitch are not needed. Guardian Angel is decent, but
requires a lot of strength when upped. Upped Duriels is a good armor too.
Duress is a GREAT zealot armor, Fortitude and Chains of Honor are good as
well. Duress or Fortitude would probably be my first choices for zealot
armor.

> R Hand: Stormlash, Death Cleaver, Azurewrath, Crescent Moon phase
blade, Schaeffer, Heaven's Light, Asteron, Famine berserker axe.

Schaefer's requires too much IAS for me to recommend it, same with Famine(it
would be a good anti-PI weapon switch choice though). For pure PvM play,
Stormlash is a zealot's best friend, it's widely considered THE best PvM
zealot weapon, and I would agree with that. But the other weapons you listed
are all fine choices(as is Nord's Tenderizer, Frostwind, Crescent Moon
cryptic sword, Doom zerker axe, and eBotD zerker). If you can get a
Stormlash, that would be my choice by far.

> L Hand: HoZ (no other worthy contenders here)

Yep, it's unbeatable.

> Gloves: Dracul's (ditto)

Yep, very handy.

> Shoes: Goreriders (ditto)

Ideal.

> Belt: Verdungo, Nosferatu, String of Ears

Yep. Verdungos first choice, then SoE, then Nosferatu or TGods.

> Neck: Highlord, Mara, Metalgrid

Highlord's, definitely.

> R Finger: Raven Frost

Yep, a must for me.

> L Finger: Bul Kathos, Dwarf Star, Wisp Projector

I would go with a rare dual leech/resist ring myself.

> How about his companion? Might, Defiance, Holy Freeze, or Prayer?

I prefer Holy Freeze, though Might merc with Doom would be even better.

> Suppose he is a Might one with Beast, would it make a good Zealot with
0 Fanaticsm, 20 in either HF or HS?

Not doable, see below. If you made a Beast zerker it's a good choice for a
Holy Freeze zealot weapon though.

> How about a Might desert warrior with Beast stick,

No such thing as a Beast stick, Beast is swords and hammers only.
February 1, 2005 8:17:09 PM

> What weapon does this? Azure does quite a bit of elemental damage, but
> I don't remember it having OW.

You don't need to have them on the same source. Basically, you have to
damage the enemy to get OW to trigger, so to damage a PI, you must have some
sort of elemental damage. Doesn't matter if it's the cold/magic damage from
Azurewrath, the lightning damage on Stormlash, or even the cold damage on
Ravenfrost, if you can damage an enemy, you have a chance for OW to trigger
if you have it(and Draculs+Gore Riders alone gives you 35%, add Duress and
you're up to 68%).
February 1, 2005 9:34:34 PM

Shiflet wrote:
> No, you only can have one on at a time. However, Salvation adds to
all your
> resistances at once though.

Oooh, haven't looked at Salvation yet, that could be a good spell to
have.

> > Anyways, Fanatic Zealot seems to be the most interesting build to
me.
> > Plus don't those two words go together anyways?
> > So would you folks provide your invaluable insights on this matter?
>
> Considering zealots are my build of choice, gladly.

Awesome, thanks :)

> > Sacrifice = 20
> Yes.
> > Zeal = 5 or 20? Since the #hits is topped at 5.
> 20, but max it last. It does boost your damage(from point 5 onwards
it adds
> damage) and AR.
> > Fanaticism = 20
> Yep.
> > Holy Shield = ??
> 20.
> > Non prerequisites = ??
> Get one in Vigor and all it's pre-reqs. One in Salvation is optional,
some
> people want it, some do not. One in Vengeance for anti-PI use. After
your
> main 4 skills are maxed, you have 1 in each pre-req, and one in
> Vigor/Salvation/other skills you want, you can put points in
> Defiance(synergizes Holy Shield) or the single resistance auras(for
every 2
> points you have in Resist Fire/Cold/Lightning, you get +1 to your MAX
> resists in that element)

Oh wow, that's interesting, if I can somehow get my resists that way
up, I will probably invest the rest of the skills there.

> > I see three ways to deal with PI's right now. Weapon switch.
Vengeance.
> Any one of the 3 Holy's. Which would you recommend?
>
> Weapon switch works. Especially if you have a Gimmershreds on switch,
cause
> you can use them as an anti-IM weapon as well. Or you could make a
> Lawbringer, zeal till the decrep casts(usually removing the immunity)
then
> switch back to your main weapon. You could also use Reaper's Toll on
your
> merc. The Holy auras require too many skill points to use as an
anti-PI
> weapon on a fanatic zealot, so just get a point in vengeance to help
out
> till you get a good elemental weapon.

Having a weapon on a switch, mean I will need to have a second shield
placed there too, right? Will one point in Vengeance be enough to take
care of PI's?

> > Hat: Andy's, Guillame
>
> Both good choices. Crown of Ages is very good too(probably my first
choice,
> it or Guillames), and even the old shako is nice.

CoA is probably way out of my league, so I think I will go with
Guillame, or Ral'ed Andy (due to lack of FR/IAS jewel) if I need the
Poison Resist.

> > Body: Duriel (upgraded?), Guardian Angel (upgraded?), Duress,
upgraded
> (twice?) Twitchroe, Glad Bane
>
> Glad's Bane and Twitch are not needed. Guardian Angel is decent, but
> requires a lot of strength when upped. Upped Duriels is a good armor
too.
> Duress is a GREAT zealot armor, Fortitude and Chains of Honor are
good as
> well. Duress or Fortitude would probably be my first choices for
zealot
> armor.

Fortitude and CoH are again beyond me, but nice to know what armors
work :)  I think I will go with Duress. Ouch, this will take tons of
cow runs to find the suitable base armor. What would you suggest as
the base armor for this?

> > R Hand: Stormlash, Death Cleaver, Azurewrath, Crescent Moon phase
> blade, Schaeffer, Heaven's Light, Asteron, Famine berserker axe.
>
> Schaefer's requires too much IAS for me to recommend it, same with
Famine(it
> would be a good anti-PI weapon switch choice though). For pure PvM
play,
> Stormlash is a zealot's best friend, it's widely considered THE best
PvM
> zealot weapon, and I would agree with that. But the other weapons you
listed
> are all fine choices(as is Nord's Tenderizer, Frostwind, Crescent
Moon
> cryptic sword, Doom zerker axe, and eBotD zerker). If you can get a
> Stormlash, that would be my choice by far.

Then Stormlash it is :)  Is this coupled with one point in Vengeance
enough to take care of PI's?

> > L Hand: HoZ (no other worthy contenders here)
>
> Yep, it's unbeatable.
>
> > Gloves: Dracul's (ditto)
>
> Yep, very handy.
>
> > Shoes: Goreriders (ditto)
>
> Ideal.
>
> > Belt: Verdungo, Nosferatu, String of Ears
>
> Yep. Verdungos first choice, then SoE, then Nosferatu or TGods.
>
> > Neck: Highlord, Mara, Metalgrid
>
> Highlord's, definitely.

Aah, need to find a trader. Pity that I have a Mara sitting in a mule,
but not a Highlord :(

> > R Finger: Raven Frost
>
> Yep, a must for me.
>
> > L Finger: Bul Kathos, Dwarf Star, Wisp Projector
>
> I would go with a rare dual leech/resist ring myself.

Unfortunately, I don't have such ring. I think I have to use Bul Kathos
instead, for the LL, or Nature's Peace for the RIP and PMH.

> > How about his companion? Might, Defiance, Holy Freeze, or Prayer?
>
> I prefer Holy Freeze, though Might merc with Doom would be even
better.

HF because Fanatic already boosts damage enough? Doom is beyond my
league unfortunately.

> > Suppose he is a Might one with Beast, would it make a good Zealot
with
> 0 Fanaticsm, 20 in either HF or HS?
>
> Not doable, see below. If you made a Beast zerker it's a good choice
for a
> Holy Freeze zealot weapon though.

Well, I can't afford a Beast, but out of curiosity, for a Beast zerker
wielding Zealot, would you recommend still maxing Fanaticism, going for
Freeze / Shock, or other types of Zealots?

> > How about a Might desert warrior with Beast stick,
>
> No such thing as a Beast stick, Beast is swords and hammers only.

Ah ha, I see, I was browsing the list quickly and apparently missed the
base weapon.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:07:44 AM

> Duress & HoZ (+3 Anya quests) will bring resistances to:
> Cold = 144 - 100 = 44
> Rest = 104 - 100 = 4
>
> Yikes!

HoZ+pdiamond=69
Duress=15(45 cold)
Anya x3=30
Total 114(144 cold)-100=14 all, not 4 all.

If you've got an Anni that's another 10-20. An Um in place of the p diamond
would boost you up another 3.

> Nature Peace, interesting, this will help when fighting Gloams backed
> with mummies. I haven't encountered a rare dual leech ring, let alone
> one with resistances, otherwise it sure looks nice, perhaps even just
> LL with resists.

Gamble enough and you'll get a nice dual leech/resist one, it can take
awhile though. I found one awhile back, 6 life leech, 4 mana leech, 13
resist all, +8 strength, +~9 min. damage.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:21:40 AM

> Oooh, haven't looked at Salvation yet, that could be a good spell to
> have.

Maybe. I can honestly say I never use it though, and consider it a wasted
skill point on the zealot I gave it to. The only reason I'd use it is in PvP
against FoH pallies and cold sorcs or against a gloam boss pack with
Conviction.

> Oh wow, that's interesting, if I can somehow get my resists that way
> up, I will probably invest the rest of the skills there.

It's not a bad idea.

> Having a weapon on a switch, mean I will need to have a second shield
> placed there too, right?

Yeah, pretty much.

> Will one point in Vengeance be enough to take care of PI's?

Yeah.

> CoA is probably way out of my league, so I think I will go with
> Guillame, or Ral'ed Andy (due to lack of FR/IAS jewel) if I need the
> Poison Resist.

I would honestly recommend shako over Andy's, the life/mana and the 10% DR
of shako is more useful than the mods on Andy's IMO. Guillame's is likewise
a better choice IMO. FHR is great(breakpoints are 48 and 86), Guillame's has
30, Duress has 40, Verdungo's has 10, so if you use those 3 you're almost at
the last breakpoint, use a couple 5% FHR charms and you're set.

> Fortitude and CoH are again beyond me, but nice to know what armors
> work :)  I think I will go with Duress. Ouch, this will take tons of
> cow runs to find the suitable base armor. What would you suggest as
> the base armor for this?

Archon Plate ideally. Light elite armors are good in general, really. My
pally uses one in a boneweave and has around 1400 defense, but it's also a
medium armor so it's not as good as an Archon.

> Then Stormlash it is :)  Is this coupled with one point in Vengeance
> enough to take care of PI's?

It should be. My Stormlash zealot doesn't even need Vengeance to take out
PIs unless they're also lightning immune, so 1 Vengeance is plenty.

> Aah, need to find a trader. Pity that I have a Mara sitting in a mule,
> but not a Highlord :(

Maras is very nice, but it's more suited for a caster type than a fanatic
zealot.

> Unfortunately, I don't have such ring. I think I have to use Bul Kathos
> instead, for the LL, or Nature's Peace for the RIP and PMH.

Use BK. Open Wounds prevents healing too and it lasts 8 seconds per
activation, and with Dracs+Duress+Gore Riders you have 68% open wounds. So
it will trigger every zeal and will last 8 seconds. And by the time 8
seconds has passed, it will have triggered again, lasting another 8 seconds.

> HF because Fanatic already boosts damage enough?

Holy Freeze cause it's safer. With the gear you're aiming for and lvl 20+
holy shield, you'll have 75% block and 10-12k def, combine that with the
slowing effects of HF and you take VERY few hits.

> Well, I can't afford a Beast, but out of curiosity, for a Beast zerker
> wielding Zealot, would you recommend still maxing Fanaticism, going for
> Freeze / Shock, or other types of Zealots?

Using Beast on a Fana zealot is pretty much a waste, it's most suited for a
HF zealot IMO(Holy Shock zealots are tailor made to take a Cres. Moon phase)

> Ah ha, I see, I was browsing the list quickly and apparently missed the
> base weapon.

That's okay, it's a common mistake, heh.
February 2, 2005 1:52:50 AM

Shiflet wrote:
> HoZ+pdiamond=69
> Duress=15(45 cold)
> Anya x3=30
> Total 114(144 cold)-100=14 all, not 4 all.

And once again, you are right :)  Either I read the stat incorrectly or
my head just got hit real hard.

> If you've got an Anni that's another 10-20. An Um in place of the p
diamond
> would boost you up another 3.

Anni ... not sure if I can afford to trade for one after I get the rest
of the gears, but yes looks like I will need one with high resist.

> Gamble enough and you'll get a nice dual leech/resist one, it can
take
> awhile though. I found one awhile back, 6 life leech, 4 mana leech,
13
> resist all, +8 strength, +~9 min. damage.

Ok, I should start muling some gold. I lost gold due to death or
paying medical bills.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:11:23 AM

> Anni ... not sure if I can afford to trade for one after I get the rest
> of the gears, but yes looks like I will need one with high resist.

Anni's are generally too risky to trade unless you know the person well IMO.
It was more a suggestion if you had a spare, hehe.

> Ok, I should start muling some gold. I lost gold due to death or
> paying medical bills.

Get a character that can run hell council with some decent gold find and you
can make money pretty quick that way, that's how I do it. My hammerdin MFer
can run shenk/eldritch/pindle/council in one pretty quick game, and even if
he doesn't find many items he can easily make 200k a run if he takes the
armors and such that drop and sell them.
February 2, 2005 10:35:33 AM

Alice wrote:
> I finally joined the dark side and tried a pally. Oh boy, isn't he
> confusing? Why does he have gazillions of spells, each looks useful
> but can't be turned on all at once? Resist Fire, Resist Cold, Resist
> Lightning. Great, so do I need to hit the keys real fast that the game
> thinks I have resistance to all those elements?
>
> My pally is now lvl 47, 190 stat points & 46 skill points saved. He
> deals whopping 4-14 damage with his yellow Sabre given by the ever
> generous Grizwold of Tristram, the rest of the gears include white
> Sash, white Targe, white light gauntlets, and other über items.
>
> I learned few basic things about pally yesterday. Zealot = Fanatic /
> Freezer / Shocker (ummm, why no roaster?). Hammerhead = Concentrate.
> Avenger = Convicted. Medic = ?
> Avenger looks fun, but maybe to slow in killing the baddies. Medic
> doesn't like to solo. Hammerhead has gotta be the most boring
> character there is. Okay, okay, before you chase my neck for saying
> your Hammerhead is boring, I know he's very powerful, possibly the
> most powerful. I've seen a lot of Enigmadins raising their batons
> yelling "Yay! Yay!" But uh, excuse me, Mr. Hammerhead, Sir, the
> Cheerleader audition was last week.
>
> Anyways, Fanatic Zealot seems to be the most interesting build to me.
> Plus don't those two words go together anyways?
> So would you folks provide your invaluable insights on this matter?
>
> Sacrifice = 20
> Zeal = 5 or 20? Since the #hits is topped at 5.
> Fanaticism = 20
> Holy Shield = ??
> Non prerequisites = ??

for a pure zealot
sacrifice, holy shield, zeal and fanaticism are all maxed, all the prereq's
1 point and salvation 1 after that its personal preference some add 1 to
vengence to deal with PI's. It all depends on your playing style and gear
after that, if your ar is a little low blessed aim, if you like to run
through areas vigor

> I see three ways to deal with PI's right now. Weapon switch.
> Vengeance. Any one of the 3 Holy's. Which would you recommend?
>
> How about item selections? Let's suppose I have access to all
> uniques and sets. Please suggest any runewords too as you see fit.
> This is what I'm currently thinking (never say I can afford all
> these).
>
> (Oh yeah, Griz set with the right socketings can be devastating, but
> this is way out of my league, so let's skip that pls)
>
> Hat: Andy's, Guillame
> Body: Duriel (upgraded?), Guardian Angel (upgraded?), Duress, upgraded
> (twice?) Twitchroe, Glad Bane
> R Hand: Stormlash, Death Cleaver, Azurewrath, Crescent Moon phase
> blade, Schaeffer, Heaven's Light, Asteron, Famine berserker axe.
> L Hand: HoZ (no other worthy contenders here)
> Gloves: Dracul's (ditto)
> Shoes: Goreriders (ditto)
> Belt: Verdungo, Nosferatu, String of Ears
> Neck: Highlord, Mara, Metalgrid
> R Finger: Raven Frost
> L Finger: Bul Kathos, Dwarf Star, Wisp Projector
>
> How about his companion? Might, Defiance, Holy Freeze, or Prayer?
> Suppose he is a Might one with Beast, would it make a good Zealot with
> 0 Fanaticsm, 20 in either HF or HS?
>
> How about a Might desert warrior with Beast stick, Holy Freeze Zealot
> with Dream helm, Exile shield, and Azurewrath? Won't that make him
> pretty with 6 auras? :)

holy freeze is always good since it helps prevent you being swamped.

as to items, I'll leave that to someone who has all those uber goodies. I
get by with mainly rares in hell

Craig
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 4:27:01 PM

On 1 Feb 2005 18:34:34 -0800, "Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote:

[all snip]
Hey Alice, i think i can hook you up with a descent armor, we surely
have something suitable on the mules..

Kai
February 3, 2005 12:10:52 AM

~misfit~ wrote:
>I can let you have a 'Lash if you can't find one by the time he's lvl
84
> (lvl req for 'Lash). You've done me enough favours. :-)

I got Stormlash already, thanks.
Perhaps you should make a Zealot for your extra Lash :)
February 3, 2005 12:14:39 AM

Kai Scholz-Starke wrote:
> On 1 Feb 2005 18:34:34 -0800, "Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> [all snip]
> Hey Alice, i think i can hook you up with a descent armor, we surely
> have something suitable on the mules..
>
> Kai

Thanks Kai, I made the Duress already on a 499 Archon :)
Pretty nice armor, first time I made that, too bad I can't wear it yet,
it has clvl req of 63.
February 3, 2005 1:07:44 AM

Thanks Shiflet for the very detailed explanation regarding skill
allocation and item selections.
Also, thanks everyone who posts and whom I talk to in B.net for your
advice and for sharing your experience with your Zealots.
My Zealot is still young but have been progressing quite nicely. After
following everyone's suggestions, I started giving him skills (lvl 50
then), working toward maxing Sacrifice, Fanaticsm, and Holy Shield,
after getting Zeal to 5 hits. From lvl 50 onward, he has 150 unassigned
stat points and no unassigned skill points. Also, at this point, I
raided the agdpub and slap together whatever items were there. A friend
gave me a HoZ. Finally, from my own mule, I gave him RavenFrost and
GoreRiders.

Gosh, he is tough already even with those humble items. I normally get
rushed in normal and nightmare, but this being my first pally, I
thought I'd better get used to one. So, I get rushed by a friend on
A1, to be able to get HF stick-master quickly. Then, I joined a full
game, and solo'ed the entire A2 & A3, in a 5-8 players game. Yup,
starting at lvl 50, 150 unassigned stat points. I got 7 levels
throughout and no deaths! Starting A4 at lvl 57, still 150 unassigned
stat points. Resistances are very bad, despite I already muled over
25+ resistance GC of each kind. Since he wasn't ready to deal with IM,
I just switched to a sorcie to clear CS, he offed Diablo pretty easily.
Ancient was a little trouble, got killed twice, one due to FE, another
when the WW guy was extra strong, another was PI (didn't notice till
later since I kept my mouse clicked at the WW guy; does extra strong
mean he packs extra punch? He sure hit real hard). Third time is a
charm. Started Baal runs at lvl 58. He was tough enough to be the one
who ran to Throne most of the time (what will it take to get everyone
to walk in Baal runs?). He is now lvl 62, a long time to go before
being able to wear all those nice items.

I expect resistance to be a problem in Hell. They are not maxed even
in NM. Looks like I will need to add more charms there.

Gameplay, I like to use Charge to close in quickly, especially on those
ranged nasties. One minor setback is that Charge knocks them back, is
there a better way to handle these ranged monsters? Also, I haven't
given much thought about dealing with IM. What weapon would be a good
choice to be put on switch? Gimmer/HoZ, Burito, Hellrack, Widowmaker,
etc?

I finally get a hand on a dual leech ring, it has 10+ Poison, Fire, and
Lightning resist too!
Just need an Anni with x/20/x now :)  C'mon, Dclone, come out please.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 3:08:55 AM

> Thanks Kai, I made the Duress already on a 499 Archon :)

Wow, nice. Considering 520 is the max def on an archon(if it's a superior
15% ED one), your base armor is very near the top. What def/damage % did
yours turn out as? My zealots is 20% damage(perfect), 151% def(almost as far
from perfect as possible;-)
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 3:56:49 AM

> Thanks Shiflet for the very detailed explanation regarding skill
> allocation and item selections.

Sure thing!

> does extra strong mean he packs extra punch?

Aye, extra strong=double damage, I believe.

> Gameplay, I like to use Charge to close in quickly, especially on those
> ranged nasties. One minor setback is that Charge knocks them back, is
> there a better way to handle these ranged monsters?

Nope, just rush in and zeal really. Unless you fight fire with fire(see
below).

> Also, I haven't given much thought about dealing with IM. What weapon
would be a good
> choice to be put on switch? Gimmer/HoZ, Burito, Hellrack, Widowmaker,
> etc?

I have 3 recommendations, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.
1)Gimmershreds. You get a ton of elemental damage so you can use it as
anti-PI as well as anti-IM. But it's also rather slow, both with zeal and
with throw.
2)Lacerators. The chance to cast Amp can greatly increase your kill speed,
and also removes physical immunity, so it can be used anti-PI as well. A
good anti-PI tactic is to smite the enemy until Amp goes off(33% chance
means it won't take long), then switch back to main weapon and zeal the
enemy to death. Also has high % open wounds(in fact, Lacerator+Duress+Gore
Riders+Draculs=OW every single hit). And the monster flee can help clear a
path to the oblivion knights, to kill them directly. It's also fast, which
is nice. Downside is that it's quantity is limited, and even with the
replenish you can go through a full stack pretty quickly in areas with IM.
Also, someimes the monster flee overwrites the Amp, which is kinda annoying.
3)Buriza. Damage is high, you get 100% pierce(awesome for a bow pally), you
get cold damage and freezes target, and you can fight ranged attacks with a
ranged attack of your own. Can also be used to snipe enemies you can't reach
directly and may not want to approach too closely(ie, a boss pack of fanatic
yetis on the other size of a stream in the Frozen River). With 250 shots per
quiver, and bolts being dropped by enemies fairly often, you rarely have to
of course have no shield, so your resistances take a big dip.

Widowmaker can wok, but since it only hits 1 target at a time, yet lacks the
nice mods and higher damage of Gimmers/Lacerators and requires you have no
shield as well, it's not recommended. Hellrack for the same reason-it lacks
the Buriza's pierce so it's a 1 target at a time weapon, and as far as
damage goes, you get more damage with Gimmers, plus you don't lose the
benefits of a shield.

> I finally get a hand on a dual leech ring, it has 10+ Poison, Fire, and
> Lightning resist too!

Hey, nice one.
February 3, 2005 4:53:54 AM

Shiflet wrote:
> "Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Kai, I made the Duress already on a 499 Archon :)
>
> Wow, nice. Considering 520 is the max def on an archon(if it's a
superior
> 15% ED one), your base armor is very near the top. What def/damage %
did
> yours turn out as? My zealots is 20% damage(perfect), 151% def(almost
as far
> from perfect as possible;-)

It is 15% damage, 182% defense. Can't complain, it has been such a
great armor :)  First time I ever made this armor. I sometimes see
several of Lister's buddies in nightmare drop dead by themselves. Open
wound is really cool. I'm currently using Guillame, Heaven's Light
(clean), Duress Archon, HoZ, Magnus Skin, Verdungo, GoreRiders,
Highlord, Raven Frost, dual leech ring. Need few more level for
Dracul's and hello infinite health, well, almost :)  A lot of levels
before Stormlash.
February 3, 2005 5:04:11 AM

Shiflet wrote:
> I have 3 recommendations, each with their own advantages and
disadvantages.
> 1)Gimmershreds. You get a ton of elemental damage so you can use it
as
> anti-PI as well as anti-IM. But it's also rather slow, both with zeal
and
> with throw.
> 2)Lacerators. The chance to cast Amp can greatly increase your kill
speed,
> and also removes physical immunity, so it can be used anti-PI as
well. A
> good anti-PI tactic is to smite the enemy until Amp goes off(33%
chance
> means it won't take long), then switch back to main weapon and zeal
the
> enemy to death. Also has high % open wounds(in fact,
Lacerator+Duress+Gore
> Riders+Draculs=OW every single hit). And the monster flee can help
clear a
> path to the oblivion knights, to kill them directly. It's also fast,
which
> is nice. Downside is that it's quantity is limited, and even with the
> replenish you can go through a full stack pretty quickly in areas
with IM.
> Also, someimes the monster flee overwrites the Amp, which is kinda
annoying.
> 3)Buriza. Damage is high, you get 100% pierce(awesome for a bow
pally), you
> get cold damage and freezes target, and you can fight ranged attacks
with a
> ranged attack of your own. Can also be used to snipe enemies you
can't reach
> directly and may not want to approach too closely(ie, a boss pack of
fanatic
> yetis on the other size of a stream in the Frozen River). With 250
shots per
> quiver, and bolts being dropped by enemies fairly often, you rarely
have to
that you
> of course have no shield, so your resistances take a big dip.

Very nice analysis. I will try each one and see which works best for
me :)
February 3, 2005 6:15:42 AM

~misfit~ wrote:
> I got a newsletter from my ISP yesterday explaining why my connection
suxors
> so much. They are waiting on another 155Mbit ATM circuit to be
implemented
> by the upstream company who supplies them with bandwidth.

Oooo, I don't know, is this a lie they tell to keep their customers
with them? (I don't know what's ATM circuit, but that's a different
story :)  )

> This company is
> the infamous NZ Telecom, a greedy, self-serving monopoly who is
beyond the
> control of even the NZ government.

There is no anti-trust law?

> There's no way I can play an "on the edge" character at the moment, I
get
> lag-spikes of 10 seconds plus sometimes. (Although the display at the
top of
> the screen in D2 doesn't appear to be able to show above 4,999ms).
It's
> seriously interfering with my ability to play in Team Rainbowfeet and
> consequently then whole team as the HF guy is fairly important. If
we're in
> a tight spot and I die, suddenly all the monsters are moving twice as
fast.
> It happened today a couple of times. Not being egotistical (as it's
the
> character, not me) but the HF guy is pretty crucial to the team's
success.
> Hence today I exited the game several times and re-entered to get my
body
> back after I died. With the lag I have (at least) once today I was
killed
> two whole rooms away from where I appeared on my screen.

That is why I treat those desert warriors as companions instead of as
mercs, and esp. not as walking auras. They deserved to be taken care
of, nurtured, and fed with nutritious fruit juice. HF IS crucial (at
least in my case), the few seconds it provides could mean charging
snakes or dead snakes.

> My ISP say that, hopefully, the problem will get better soon. They've
asked
> all the gamers to please stop ringing the helpdesk

Gamer: Hello, is this the helpdesk?
Helpdesk: Yes, how may I help you?
G: This is the 3rd time my Hardcore Paladin got killed by Dark Lancers
20 meters away from him. I demand explanation!
H: Ah, that's nothing at all, the previous person who called before you
said he's lost 47 characters that way. Why don't you give us a call
back when you exceed his number?
Is that how they tell the gamers to stop calling? :)
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:01:10 AM

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> I like the Widowmaker for the guided arrow, just try to
> pick off the OKs, then take out the others afterwards meleeing. Not easy
by
> any means though.

Buriza's 100% pierce means you can pick off the OK regardless of what other
monsters are in front of him, and you can damage anything else in the way in
the process. And considering with a non-upped Buriza you can do between 1
and 4k per shot(not counting deadly strike!), it's more efficient than
Widowmaker(which on my PvP pally gets 2k tops) IMHO.

> ~misfit~

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:03:08 AM

> Down to 124 unassigned now, level 71. I think I already put too many in
> dexterity, 118 (with items) now, I don't remember why I put that many,
> blocking is max obviously, with Holy Shield on, and has been maxed
> since the last 5 levels without adding to dexterity..

Don't worry, once you get in the 80's or so you'll need more than 118 to
keep 75% block, so no points have been wasted.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:09:17 AM

> I do too, I never use charge.

Well I do sometimes, usually not needed though.

> Interesting reading. I've never used throwing weapons, mainly 'cause I've
> never found decent ones on my MF runs I guess.

I try out everything reasonable, really. Lacerator I use a lot, cause an eth
one is my PvP weapon.

> LOL, for a while I tried having a wand on switch. Low physical damage but
> something like 1-377 lightning and 80-240 fire. I died... quickly. I
figured
> low PD means low PD returned, I didn't think about the fact that it also
> meant *very* low leech.

Indeed.

> --
> ~misfit~

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:14:53 AM

> It is 15% damage, 182% defense. Can't complain, it has been such a
> great armor :)

It is VERY nice. I so love this armor for so many builds. Melee druids,
frenzy barbs, zealots and smiters, kickers and blade fury assassins...

> First time I ever made this armor. I sometimes see
> several of Lister's buddies in nightmare drop dead by themselves. Open
> wound is really cool.

Aye, it's been much improved in 1.10. And it's damage increases as your
level increases.

> I'm currently using Guillame, Heaven's Light
> (clean), Duress Archon, HoZ, Magnus Skin, Verdungo, GoreRiders,
> Highlord, Raven Frost, dual leech ring. Need few more level for
> Dracul's and hello infinite health, well, almost :)  A lot of levels
> before Stormlash.

Can't argue with that setup at all, very very efficient. And just wait till
you see the Stormlash in action. With it and Highlords you'll be getting 6.2
attacks per second(I so love zeal with a fast weapon), that means LOTS of
crushing blow, open wounds, and static/life tap going off;-)
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:30:16 PM

Gabriele Neukam wrote:
> On that special day, ~misfit~, (misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz) said...
>
> > This company is
> > the infamous NZ Telecom, a greedy, self-serving monopoly who is
beyond the
> > control of even the NZ government. They don't like the fact that
they've
> > been ordered to wholesale ADSL by the government
>
> Heh, this sounds *very* much like the situation about five years ago
> here in Germany, where the German telekom was the monopolist.
>
> It took years to make them hand over the "last mile" (ie the copper
> cable from the distributing device at the end of the big line, to the

> customer) to the private companies. First, they licensed them more or

> less, then they rented them to the competitors, and got a slap at the

> wrist for demanding as much for that part of the line, as if they had

> let them to a single customer, instead of a redistributor. Only last
> year, the Telekom had to give up this behaviour, and leave the
devices
> to the competitors for a reasonable price.
>
> Since then, DSL prices have dropped, and many offer new connections
> where they will refund the first installment of the DSL line (at the
> DSLAM device, you'll get a respective connection, which costs EUR 99;

> mine has been refunded, too), and there is now considerable
competition
> there, with service packets of all sorts. I decided to take one with
1.5
> gig as traffic limit. I won't exceed it, as I am no downloader of
emule
> or bittorrent things, in fact I only use 500 Mb average per month.
But I
> can stay online as long as I want for that, while on analog line, I
had
> to pay for the minute.
>
> This gives you a lot more freedom to look around in the 'net without
> having to keep an eye on the stop watch all time.

This is a phenomenon I am unaquianted with. I have had a cable modem
since July 7, 1994. Nice to live in a test zone :)

Mickey
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 9:01:46 PM

On that special day, ~misfit~, (misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz) said...

> This company is
> the infamous NZ Telecom, a greedy, self-serving monopoly who is beyond the
> control of even the NZ government. They don't like the fact that they've
> been ordered to wholesale ADSL by the government

Heh, this sounds *very* much like the situation about five years ago
here in Germany, where the German telekom was the monopolist.

It took years to make them hand over the "last mile" (ie the copper
cable from the distributing device at the end of the big line, to the
customer) to the private companies. First, they licensed them more or
less, then they rented them to the competitors, and got a slap at the
wrist for demanding as much for that part of the line, as if they had
let them to a single customer, instead of a redistributor. Only last
year, the Telekom had to give up this behaviour, and leave the devices
to the competitors for a reasonable price.

Since then, DSL prices have dropped, and many offer new connections
where they will refund the first installment of the DSL line (at the
DSLAM device, you'll get a respective connection, which costs EUR 99;
mine has been refunded, too), and there is now considerable competition
there, with service packets of all sorts. I decided to take one with 1.5
gig as traffic limit. I won't exceed it, as I am no downloader of emule
or bittorrent things, in fact I only use 500 Mb average per month. But I
can stay online as long as I want for that, while on analog line, I had
to pay for the minute.

This gives you a lot more freedom to look around in the 'net without
having to keep an eye on the stop watch all time.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:03:35 AM

I think it was "Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> that wrote something
like...

>~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> I hope you didn't still have all those unallocated stat points at
>that stage
>> Alice? You have a pretty good idea of where they have to go now, no
>point in
>> killing him if you don't have to.
>
>Down to 124 unassigned now, level 71. I think I already put too many in
>dexterity, 118 (with items) now, I don't remember why I put that many,
>blocking is max obviously, with Holy Shield on, and has been maxed
>since the last 5 levels without adding to dexterity..

Well, you need a fair amount of dexterity if you ever plan on using a
phase blade.

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:01:04 PM

On that special day, ~misfit~, (misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz) said...

> Just no
> enhanced damage. However it has 150-210 fire and 130-180 cold, 20% CTC
> Decrep and lvl 18 Sanctuary, -50% TD 7% LL, RIP, +10 dex +200-250 def v
> missiles and 75% extra gold.

Don't you think this would be a good anti-OK weapon, together with
Revenge? It seems to be tailored for this. OK are undead, after all. Oh
well, Life Leech doesn't work on undead, as my firestrafer reported.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
February 4, 2005 10:50:41 PM

Shiflet wrote:
> "Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm currently using Guillame, Heaven's Light
> > (clean), Duress Archon, HoZ, Magnus Skin, Verdungo, GoreRiders,
> > Highlord, Raven Frost, dual leech ring. Need few more level for
> > Dracul's and hello infinite health, well, almost :)  A lot of
levels
> > before Stormlash.
>
> Can't argue with that setup at all, very very efficient. And just
wait till
> you see the Stormlash in action. With it and Highlords you'll be
getting 6.2
> attacks per second(I so love zeal with a fast weapon), that means
LOTS of
> crushing blow, open wounds, and static/life tap going off;-)

Who would have thought that a 1 socket CoA only costs Um to Ist? So, I
got a hand on a 1s CoA, 28% resist, 15% DR. It comes with a 35%ed jewel
when I trade for it. Would you suggest this over Guillame? The
required str is a whopping 182. I'm currently level 78 with 134 str
(after items).

Another thing, what factors should I be paying attention when equipping
Emilio? He is now wearing Vamp Gaze, Shaftstop, and Eth Kelpie Snare.
Thinking about switching Eth Kelpie to non-eth Hone Sundan, upgrading
Shaftstop, and keeping Vamp Gaze. He currently does well, hardly ever
got killed.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:24:02 AM

> Who would have thought that a 1 socket CoA only costs Um to Ist? So, I
> got a hand on a 1s CoA, 28% resist, 15% DR. It comes with a 35%ed jewel
> when I trade for it. Would you suggest this over Guillame?

Yeah, especially once you can use the Stormlash.

> The required str is a whopping 182. I'm currently level 78 with 134 str
> (after items).

Hmm, that strength might be a problem.

> Another thing, what factors should I be paying attention when equipping
> Emilio? He is now wearing Vamp Gaze, Shaftstop, and Eth Kelpie Snare.
> Thinking about switching Eth Kelpie to non-eth Hone Sundan, upgrading
> Shaftstop, and keeping Vamp Gaze. He currently does well, hardly ever
> got killed.

Gaze and upped(or eth) Shaft are both good choices armor wise. Weapon I'd go
with something nice like a Tomb Reaver, Bonehew, Obedience, or other hard
hitter.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 9:20:26 AM

> Level 78 huh? :-) Only six more to Stormlash!

4 more. Stormlash is lvl 82 requirement.

> ~misfit~

February 5, 2005 3:16:24 PM

Shiflet wrote:
> "Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > The required str is a whopping 182. I'm currently level 78 with
134 str
> > (after items).
>
> Hmm, that strength might be a problem.

It's lower than 182 actually, 178 or something, forget again.
I forgot to mention that I still have over 100 stat points saved. So,
there is no need to stick -req jewel there either :)  I just wanted to
know if it's worth investing the str just to wear the hat. Knowing
that, now I will get enough str and spend the rest on Vitality, no more
saved points, as CoA is the last and heaviest item. (I can't imagine
wearing hat so heavy myself)

This guy is really really tough, unless the few occasions where I
forget to renew Holy Shield. For those who are interested in this
build, here is the price guide in West soft ladder:
Crown of Ages 1 socket: Um to Ist
Stormlash non eth: Mal to 1.5 Ist
3 socket armor: dirt cheap to 2 Ist (2 Ist being 15% ed 3s Archon)
Duress: Shael Um Thul
HoZ non eth: Um to 2 Ist
Dracul's Grasp: 10 pgems to Pul
Gore Riders: 10 pgems to Um
Verdungo: 10 pgems to Um
Highlords: Lem
RavenFrost: 5 pgems to Ist
Dual leech ring: ?? (mine is 5ML 8LL 10+ Light,Fire,Poison resist, for
a Pul)
Single resistance charms: dirt cheap, just don't get 11% sc or 30% gc,
each of those can go up to 10 pgems, slightly lower ones are probably
around 2-5 pgems.

Ist = 2 Mal = 3 Um = 6 Pul = 12 Lem = 24 Ko = 240 pgems

Total budget is somewhere around 2 Ist, not terribly expensive for a
real strong build, not to mention party friendly, the fanaticsm aura
covers about twice screen size and about double party damage.
!