windows 2000 SP4

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
I just rebuilt computer for a friend. I put his windows 2k on it and started downloading updates. After downloading and installing sp4, I can't get to the internet. Dhcp is working, I can ping my gateway, but nothing past that. If this is a know problem, can someone direct me to solution so I can burn it and load on this machine. I am trying to avoid a full reload.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""can someone direct me to solution so I can burn it and load on this machine""

if, and only if, you would tell us what you are talking about, maybe then we could direct you to the solution.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
I loaded windows 2k /w sp1 built in. When I was finished, I went to to M$ to get the 5-600MB of patches,updates and service packs. After I loaded SP4 and rebooted, I found I was no longer able to surf the net, I would click on IE, it would show the IP address of the site I was triing to go to and said connecting to site 66.218.71.113 (Yahoo) On the toolbar you can see http://yahoo.com/, but I never get there (page cannot be displayed error). The machine got an address from the dhcp and I could "ping" the gateway just fine. When I tried to ping anything past gateway, all timeouts. I got frustrated and reformatted and reloaded. I tried loading SP3 insted, to get most of the patches and the samething happened. I know the gateway/dsl is up, that is what I am using now. If anyone knows what is up, I would appreciate the help-before this machine goes out the second story window.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
is this your only machine?
what settings are on the TCP/IP when it happens?
is WPA checked on it? (most important thing)
do you get IP from the DHCP on your gateway?
what gateway you are using?

It sounds like configuration issue, it's gonna take a little knowlege to do it, but I run SP4 on everything I have and everything runs just fine. Now I am on laptop wirelessly (200 yards from the source) and ever that is working. Check for that WPA thing first (SP4 required).

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
Blah,
It is my friends machine. I do get a IP from my dhcp-I know it is good becouse I did an ipconfig release/renew. My gateway is a 2Wire dsl modem, it has dhcp and nat. I should state, this is a midtower computer and I am hardwired to switch then to gateway.
Sorry answers are scattered-I am very frustrated.
Tcp/IP settings are:
Obtain IP adress automaticallt
Obtain DNS server adress automatically

I just removed W2K SP3 and I am back to suring the net, The first time, when I put SP4, I didn't archieve and could't remove SP-my bad.

I am still dumb, er, dumbfounded as to why after downloading SP3 or 4, I can't surf. Non of the tcp/ip config was changed-by me.

Please help this most unworthy one.

Thank you for your time and effort!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
do you have any IM so we can chat a little? I have yahoo one if that matters.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
do an ipconfig /all on the problem machine, make sure the settings its getting from the dhcp are valid, check them against a working machine.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring valve security module!

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
I did and it was/is. Everything is fine once I removed the SP. This basicly my old computer with his new HD and burner. When I had it I ran 2Kpro with the service packs and had no problem. I do remember reading somewhere about some machines not being able to make it out to the internet after recieving a SP-don't remember which one. Clearly it is the SP since everything is fine when removed. I assume there is a workaround or patch to the SP-only with M$.

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
Well,
I will put it this way, before I download M$ SP's everything works fine, when I remove the serve pack, everthing works fine-durning....

Clearly, something in the SP's is causing the problem.

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
Now that I have a yahoo IM account, we just need a time (west coast) to discuss it-at you convience, of course, that and I need to know you Im name also.