X3 Renunion, Whats the lifespan?

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Guys,
I'm casually playing Doom3, Quake4 and Test Drive unlimited most of the time. However I want a completely different challenge. Can anyone tell me what the best bits of X3 are and whether it's worht buying. (and obviously Bioshock) are i'm contemplating buying this soon.

Thanks.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Depends if you liked Elite or not. If you did, get X3. If you hated it, definately don't.

If you DO buy it, run all the patches before playing - the retail release was very buggy.

For what it's worth, I love the X games and have spent many, many hours playing them.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
X3 will last VERY long, it has AWESOME graphics and is just generally a lot better than x2 in that it is not the hardest game in the universe anymore. Though it is a lot less challenging. If you love space sims then get this it looks stunning. I have never stared at a planet for 10 minutes in any other game.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Totally agree. You'll complete the plot quite quickly if you concentrate on it , but the X games have never been just about the plot (you're missing so much if you do that).

I can spend ages just sitting in space, watching Kingdom's End slowly spin below me...

snyderm

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
What is the X3 reunion Lifespan? Well, I have been playing for a year and a half. When its appeal runs out, I will tell you.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Bloody hell, now thats value for money. I think you can get this for about £20.00 now, so if it's about that to watch a game of football which is all over in 90mins that incredible value for money.
Right wheres that game shop?

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Reading this thread really makes me want to buy X3.

I have X2 and was always really intrigued by it, but it never captivated me enough to dive in full time.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
They have it on Steam for $19.99. I might just go that route.

I haven't had any problems with Steam yet (crossing my fingers).

So - It's easier to get into than X2?

snyderm

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
No, its tough to get in to. It has annoying layers of menu items, its interface is tough to get used to, it has some design issues that leave you scratching your head sometimes. DO NOT EVEN LOAD UP THE GAME WITHOUT THE LATEST PATCH, YOU WILL BE SORRY.

Once you get used to it, though, it has some serious value. A buddy I work with still plays it over 3 hours a day. After playing it longer than I have! No one else makes this type of 'sandbox' game to play in. Its basically a create your own empire type of game. I recommend the XTM 7.2 Mod once you have seen basically all there is to see. Despite the Mod being very buggy, it adds some seriously cool new ships.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
AWESOME. Takes some getting used to the new menu's X2 was easier imo to control your stuff.

You are VERY likely to never see our own real world sun again after you buy the game.

And it is VERY VERY VERY VERY pretty.

seinat

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hey Guys,

I wish I could answer the question in a different way, but I had nothing but trouble trying to play the game even after installing the patches. I was disappointed beyond words because there simply are no games like this being made anymore. I cut my gaming teeth on the wing commander series. I found the game to be beautiful, gigantic, and so frustrating that I couldn't play it. The camer keys seemed not to work at all. There seemed to be some weird, ultra-fast repeat going on when I tried to scroll through the menus--on and on I could go. I'm no newbie, and I really wanted to like this game, but I just couldn't play it. If I'm missing something here maybe you guys who have played it so much could help. I bought it last fall and installed all the patches, but no luck. It's basically a coaster now.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
This might sound like a babyish question but can you actually land on any planets like you could in Elite 2 (Frontier)? This would be awesome.

nevasumma

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
No landing on planets. (insert frown here) I too wanted to like the game more but found it too complex to get into. You really could spend 12 hrs. p/day and keep playing it forever. I just go in and shoot stuff now. IT IS BEAUTIFUL"!" There really is no other game like it, using shader 2. I played it yesterday and I could have sworn it was DX10.1 and shader 5. I AM addicted to playing it despite the complicated interface and campaign following issues. I've had it for a long time and whenever I want to fly using my flight stick, shoot aliens and see a HUGE and amazing looking game, I play X-3.

nevasumma

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
With the latest patch and the latest updates for Vista it will be fine.
I understand your concern. I wonder what all of the games I like to play are like on Vista. Particularly Vista 64bit.
I keep hearing that there is hope. The latest updates and fixes have supposedly made everything compatible with Vista.
Truly an awesome game. I'd hate to see it's life span get cut off by the next big thing in operating systems. However... sorry for rambling but there is a new service pack "3" coming for WinXP and SP1 for Vista. After that we will be able to do whatever we want with either O.S. Even game in DX10 with WinXP and true hardware support, giving the same experience as with Vista and DX10.