Installation questions

Have been a constant user of 98SE and my XP has sat in its unopened
box now for about a year. Am wanting to try it out on my old computer
which I use strictly as a backup.

System
Pentium II mmx
192 mb
12 GB hard drive divided as follows
C :10GB
D: 2GB

What are recommended options for installing XP?

Can I install XP deleting all reference to W95 and W98?

Can I install xp on the D drive having the Windows system files their
and all my data and programs on C?

Looking for different feedback on what YOU would do?

If I just decide to reformat and start fresh what do I do. Can XP
partition the drive after its formatted.
1 answer Last reply
More about installation questions

    Hello GTT,

    The Pentium II should work fine as long as it's 300Mhz or higher (233 is the
    minimum), and you have at least 128 meg Ram (64 meg minimum), I'm assuming
    that the 192mb is Ram so you should be ok there. As far as recommended
    options, you can just do the standard install and add or remove options as
    needed. You can upgrade over Windows 98 but keep in mind that you may
    upgrade the OS and bring any issues with applications into Windows XP. The
    best option for any new OS is a new Install on a clean machine. With your
    current partitions you can install to the D drive but it will most likely
    fill up after installing a few applications (files get written to system
    folders when installing applications to the system even when you install the
    application to another drive. It is recommended to install the OS to the C
    drive. If this were my system, I would format the C and D drives leaving the
    partitions as is. Then install Windows XP to the C Drive. It's an older
    system so you may need to download and install some of the hardware drivers
    to make the system usable (the modem or network card being the most
    important). Turn on the firewall and download and install all of the
    available updates to get the system secure. This may take several reboots
    depending on what gets installed. Install your software (oldest software
    first). You then may need to download updates for some of those software
    applications to get them up to date. If you just wish to format and or
    repartition you can insert the CD into the CD-Rom and reboot using the CD as
    your boot drive (if your system bios support booting from a CD). If not, you
    can boot using the Windows 98 startup disk and then run Winnt.exe from the
    i386 folder on the Windows XP cd. You can partition the drive using the
    Windows XP CD.

    Hope this helps

    Thank you

    Bobby Mikkelson
    Microsoft Consumer Support

    rights.Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
    newsgroup purposes only.

    "GTT" <gthorley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Have been a constant user of 98SE and my XP has sat in its unopened
    > box now for about a year. Am wanting to try it out on my old computer
    > which I use strictly as a backup.
    >
    > System
    > Pentium II mmx
    > 192 mb
    > 12 GB hard drive divided as follows
    > C :10GB
    > D: 2GB
    >
    > What are recommended options for installing XP?
    >
    > Can I install XP deleting all reference to W95 and W98?
    >
    > Can I install xp on the D drive having the Windows system files their
    > and all my data and programs on C?
    >
    > Looking for different feedback on what YOU would do?
    >
    > If I just decide to reformat and start fresh what do I do. Can XP
    > partition the drive after its formatted.

Microsoft Windows XP