gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
My last Intel PC was a P3 I had about 2 years ago, and my last 2 PCs have been AMDs, so I'm a little uninformed about the latest chipsets for Intel. Which is the fastest chipset for a 2.8Ghz P4?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
The fastest must be a chipset that uses RDRAM (PC1066), which I dont recommend due to the high price of the RAM. But you should go for this if you want top notch performance. Otherwise I strongly recommend DDRRAM since it is much cheaper.

Take a look at SIS648. I would recommend this. Unfortunately not many board uses this chipset yet. The Asus P4S8X uses SIS648, but there have been reports about stability issues with this board.
I think that an SIS648DX is on its way. But it will take at least a couple of months before we see mobos with that and a wider selection of non-DX mobos.

With the chipsets currently readily available the SIS645DX is my preferred choise. It scores high in a lot of independent tests. Take a look in THGs mainboard section.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Take a look at SIS648. I would recommend this. Unfortunately not many board uses this chipset yet.
take a look at the gigabyte board (8SG667)...its supposed to be much much better when compared to the P4S8X....
I think that an SIS648DX is on its way. But it will take at least a couple of months before we see mobos with that and a wider selection of non-DX mobos.
dont count on it...ever since SIS stop supporting the official use of ddr400 memory (or development at least)...the 648DX went out the windows as well...
anyways...i would recommend the 845E chipset....specifically the asus P4B533(E) because it has an undocumented dipswitch trick that allows ddr354 memory speed and asus has rcently announced the support of hyperthreading on this motherboard with future P4 chipsets...
<A HREF="http://www.asus.com/inside/Intel-HT.htm" target="_new">http://www.asus.com/inside/Intel-HT.htm</A>

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek: