Sign in with
Your question

Are These Mice Good for Gaming?

Last response: in Video Games
August 22, 2007 1:18:03 PM

The computer peripheral arena is a cluttered battlefield of gimmicks and confusion. Wading through it to find a quality mouse for gaming can be an arduous task so we grabbed four high-profile mice and put them to the gamer's test.

http://www.twitchguru.com/2007/08/22/mice_for_gaming/

More about : mice good gaming

August 22, 2007 2:16:36 PM

I beg to differ about the MX Revolutions not being good for gaming. Sure the sensitivity might not be the best but using the UberOptions addon for the Logitech software (http://www.mstarmetro.net/~rlowens/uberOptions/) I can assign ALL the buttons on the mouse to keystrokes and thus set all the buttons up to be used in whatever game I play. It's quite fun playing an realism fps when you have 13 different inputs on your mouse all set up as some function in game. :) 
August 22, 2007 2:40:58 PM

I have to say there is not a single logitech ever made that is good for gaming. Er I will they are are "good" but the best are Razer mice, always.

BTW on the fly DPI settings are not as important as on the fly sensitivity settings. Im not sure why so many people find the DPI to be so important. Either way you can map both dpi and sens settings to any key on a razer.
Related resources
August 22, 2007 3:27:23 PM

Not sure what you mean about the free spinning wheel being an issue with MX Revolution? All you have to do is click down on the wheel and it goes from free spinning to a precise notched spin???? Overall its not really a gaming mouse but its fast enough, comfortable enough and has plenty of features that make it a mouse thats also good for gaming. Plenty good for all but the elite gaming snobs.
August 22, 2007 5:04:21 PM

IMO the "potato" style logitech "gaming" mice are the worst mice to use for gaming, period. The mouse is too large for precision movement, end of story, doesn't matter what else it has if you can't get past that.
August 22, 2007 5:40:13 PM

Not to mention their error rate and inaccuracies are high. In most cases with higher DPI settings and faster polling rates logitechs have an incredibly high error rate. You get a mouse like a death adder according to tests it has almost none even at high speeds.

Not to mention on the fly sens and dpi was copied from razer, they did invent that.
August 22, 2007 8:46:53 PM

Personally i despise all logitech products. I had a g7 and i swapped it for a razer diamondback. One thing i have always wanted to try though is with the mx revolution: set scroll to fire your weapon, and then spin the wheel as fast as it can go. BOOM headshot.

Also laser mice are not any good at all, i have used both and the difference between the razer and the g5 and g7 is insane. Also Logitechs are for right handers. Though i do like the new blue cover on the g5.... looks really good.

Final note: it is not the mouse, it is the player.
August 22, 2007 11:49:46 PM

I used to use a regular optical mouse at work (not for gaming) and soon found out that after 8 hours it was not the most comfortable, and regardless of what mouse speed/acceleration settings I tried, always having to move my arm around got tiring. Another problem I had using my laptop (at home) for games was that the trackpad got so hot it made cursor movement and scrolling difficult, and the tip of my index finger didn't like all the friction and heat.

I decided to try a trackball, and picked up a Logitech Trackman Wheel. I realize most gamers out there will want to shoot me for saying it, but after having used this trackball for two years, I can say that it is just awesome.

Using your thumb to move stuff around instead of having to move your entire arm makes a big difference with an 8 hour workday. I find it so much more accurate to control, especially when drawing/cropping where single-pixel accuracy is important. It is also much faster.

As for the laptop the big advantage was that I now only needed 1/3 of the space of a mouse. Gaming with it is surprisingly good - sports, arcade, fps and rts games are very much playable. I have found that this trackball is much better than using a mouse. Yes, it takes a while to get used to, but once you do, your hand will work twice as better with hardly any effort.

As I said, gamers may shoot me, but a trackball is worth a try for those who have trouble with mice and need something that gives better control. For me, it has worked out extremely well.
August 23, 2007 1:58:45 AM

warezme said:
Not sure what you mean about the free spinning wheel being an issue with MX Revolution? All you have to do is click down on the wheel and it goes from free spinning to a precise notched spin???? Overall its not really a gaming mouse but its fast enough, comfortable enough and has plenty of features that make it a mouse thats also good for gaming. Plenty good for all but the elite gaming snobs.

I have this mouse but do have to agree, I am unable to get the free wheel function and using the wheel (third button) to work at the same time. I have played around with the settings, but now I simply have the free wheel option set and am able to use it as a 3rd button. I just have to be careful otherwise I end up selecting a weapon or something when I dont mean to
August 23, 2007 4:08:36 AM

Yeah, great article except for one glaring error.
a mouse and a keyboard are not the best setup for a first person shooter. If the game can be played with a joystick I find it vastly superior to use the mouse to look around with my left hand and do everything else with a mutifunction joystick. It's only because of the console kiddies that the standard FPS stopped providing joystick support, but it is so much better to have all you imput devices "analog" and so much more intuitve accurate and fast to use a joystick (that is set up right). If you haven't ever tried it, it is time to stepup--once you get the hang of it you will never tap buttons again--except your trigger button and your hat switch. You can play in a totally dark room and you dont have to look at the damn keyboard--all commands are at hand. Seriously i curse the console kiddies for allowing all these great games to be developed without native joystick support. Some of them can easily be programed into some joysticks, but you just get the feeling that the game developers dropped it because of lazyness or cause they were to young and dumb to have ever experienced Doom with a joystick.
August 24, 2007 12:37:24 AM

Wish that i could have afforded a joystick when i was younger. Though unless it has 16 buttons i will never be able to choose one over a kb.
August 24, 2007 10:09:32 AM

I use an old Freedom 2.4 cordless joystick. You can map eight different keys to the hat switch and eight more to it on alt settings. So there are your 16 keys on only one switch. That leaves ten other buttons and their alts giving twenty other buttons plus the slider for speed and the joystick itself for forward, backward, strafe, and general 360 degrees of motion Think that will do it for you? Face it crew there is a reason why the militay uses joysticks on fighter jets. They could use any imput device they wanted on fly by wire weapons. I suggest you set up a joystick used for FPS games with strafe mapped to the appropriate left and right positions of the joystick instead of turn left or right. This way you can run and gun most effectively and at all angles. Then you have the other commands to map as are best for you. Using a good wirless mouse and joystick setup you switch on the big screen turn out the lights and sit back in the lazy boy or prop yourself up in bed. Which is far better for your neck and back than to be hunched over at a desk. A huge plus is that your joystick, because of the type of motions you make will be much less likeley to cause any repetitious motions syndromes. And since you only use the mouse to look around and maybe the mouse wheel to choose weapons quickly, you don't need to use it on a mouse pad, you knee or the arm of your chair or the sheet on your bed will do fine.
August 24, 2007 5:33:59 PM

anomaloustango said:
I use an old Freedom 2.4 cordless joystick. You can map eight different keys to the hat switch and eight more to it on alt settings. So there are your 16 keys on only one switch. That leaves ten other buttons and their alts giving twenty other buttons plus the slider for speed and the joystick itself for forward, backward, strafe, and general 360 degrees of motion Think that will do it for you? Face it crew there is a reason why the militay uses joysticks on fighter jets. They could use any imput device they wanted on fly by wire weapons. I suggest you set up a joystick used for FPS games with strafe mapped to the appropriate left and right positions of the joystick instead of turn left or right. This way you can run and gun most effectively and at all angles. Then you have the other commands to map as are best for you. Using a good wirless mouse and joystick setup you switch on the big screen turn out the lights and sit back in the lazy boy or prop yourself up in bed. Which is far better for your neck and back than to be hunched over at a desk. A huge plus is that your joystick, because of the type of motions you make will be much less likeley to cause any repetitious motions syndromes. And since you only use the mouse to look around and maybe the mouse wheel to choose weapons quickly, you don't need to use it on a mouse pad, you knee or the arm of your chair or the sheet on your bed will do fine.

That's something I need to try, but instead of using a joystick/mouse combo I'm gonna try a joystick/trackball combo. Hell it may just be the best thing yet.
September 1, 2007 12:14:40 PM

Ordered the G9 laser mouse. It hasn't come in yet, but it appears to blend the best of the logitech gaming mice with the best of their professional line, so i had to have it. So glad it's not another "potato" (mx518 style). And the customizable grip is HUGE imo. And i saw an image of it next to a mx518, it's not as long as the 518 so it doesn't fit all the way into your palm, meaning it will probably be a mouse you can rest your wrist on the table and move with your fingers, like the mx310. Looks like logitech is FINALLY figuring out what a "gaming" mouse is. I just hope the laser is more accurate than the G3. My G3 clearly has the 2000dpi or whatever. But when the mouse is moved slowly, in an attempt to drag the edge of a window frame on a very high res screen, or to edit an image, the arrow jumps all over the place, no matter what surface i use it on. Very annoying to have an expensive laser mouse that jumps all over the place.
!