Closed

WoW FPS Question

I am getting 60fps max in WoW, and I cannot understand why. I'm running 8800GTS 640mb in SLi, I have a intel e6750, Striker Extreme and 2g DDR2 800 RAM. I am unable to get it above 60fps while in game. I have all the settings turned up at 1680x1050 resolution.

I cannot find anything wrong with my system that I know of. I haven;t overclocked it, or messed with the BIOS in anyway except to change the boot priority.Maybe its the resolutions but im not buying it at all, ive heard of lower end systems getting higher fps then I'm getting.

Any Advice?? Thanks
21 answers Last reply
More about question
  1. WOW currently limits FPS to 60
  2. I wasn't expecting that response, but thanks. I was really hoping that it wasn't a hardware issue. thanks for the help
  3. Your question has been answered, but I am just curious is to why you want more than 60 FPS? Especialy in WoW where there is no need. Just curious!

Best,

3Ball
  4. You don't have any hardware issues there. 60's the limit, as J said.
  5. Turn VSYNC off within your graphics options
  6. Turn VSYNC off and you will get over 200fps like my system
  7. Yup, WoW limits the framerate to whatever your refresh rate is on your monitor, if you have Vsync on.

Since I'm on a CRT, mine is maxed at 75fps.
  8. 3Ball said:
    Your question has been answered, but I am just curious is to why you want more than 60 FPS? Especialy in WoW where there is no need. Just curious!

Best,

3Ball

I guess its not that I want MORE FPS, just that my system should be able to produce more then 60 and i didn't want anything to be wrong with it.

Anonymous said:
    Turn VSYNC off within your graphics options

I'll try this once i get home and post back with the results
  9. I dont know where you guys got the idea that 60fps is max for WOW, but it isnt.

He just has his V-Sync on. There used to be a FPS cap which was related to dual core's. But that was resolved many patches ago.
  10. I got home and turned it off and it shot way up to 150 and around 90 in cities. thanks for the help guys.
  11. hmm Turn VSYNC off within your graphics options where do i find it is it in wow or my vido card lol ?

whats vsync stand for ?
  12. jwolf24601 said:
    WOW currently limits FPS to 60

60 fps is not the limit i have radeon 1650 pro now im geting 62 75 50 fps
  13. Its all vsync.... depending on your screen it can be 60 70 75 85 100....well you know....i have a crt that does over 100 for refresh....anyway....it not a problem and it prevents the page tearing effect some people notice....
  14. V-Sync *Vertical Sync* had my frames maxed at 60 fps, i turned them off and reached 184 FPS in World of warcraft, and averaged 300 fps *Max for Diablo 2* at all times :-)

Quad Core 2.5ghz AMD processor
    8GB of Ram
    Nvidia GeForce 9600GS 768mb
  15. /console maxfps 300 (or whatever you want)

The default is set on 60 :)
  16. I had it at a max 60 with my new HP dv6-2105ee laptop 4gb ram Radeon 4650 HD 2.5ghz dual core, turned vsync off and /console MaxFps 400 now its 80-110 in icc 25 :D thx guys
  17. it depends on your monitor's refresh rate. if your monitor can only support 60hz, u will get 60fps. if you turn vsync off and see huge spike on wow fps, those numbers are uselss if your monitor cannot support it. you will see no difference between the current 60fps and vsync-off-fps-spike.
  18. actually, theoretically no one can regardless of your screen

most ppl's eyes cant see a difference in FPS higher than 60
    the human eye sees about that much from what i've heard. Correct me if im wrong.
  19. The first 3D first-person shooter game for a personal computer, 3D Monster Maze, had a frame rate of approximately 6 FPS, and was still a success. In modern action-oriented games where players must visually track animated objects and react quickly, frame rates of between 30 to 100+ FPS are considered acceptable by most, though this can vary significantly from game to game. Modern action games, including popular console shooters such as Halo 3, are locked at 30 FPS maximum, while others, such as Unreal Tournament 3, can run well in excess of 100 FPS on sufficient hardware. The frame rate within games varies considerably depending upon what is currently happening at a given moment, or with the hardware configuration (especially in PC games.) When the computation of a frame consumes more time than is alloted between frames, the framerate decreases.

A culture of competition has arisen among game enthusiasts with regards to frame rates, with players striving to obtain the highest FPS possible, due to their utility in demonstrating a system's power and efficiency. Indeed, many benchmarks (such as 3DMark) released by the marketing departments of hardware manufacturers and published in hardware reviews focus on the FPS measurement. Even though the typical LCD monitors of today are locked at 60 FPS, making extremely high framerates impossible to see in realtime, playthroughs of game “timedemos” at hundreds or thousands of FPS for benchmarking purposes are still common.

Beyond measurement and bragging rights, such exercises do have practical bearing in some cases. A certain amount of discarded “headroom” frames are beneficial for the elimination of uneven (“choppy” or “jumpy”) output, and to prevent FPS from plummeting during the intense sequences when players need smooth feedback most.

Aside from framerate, a separate but related factor unique to interactive applications such as gaming is latency. Excessive preprocessing can result in a noticeable delay between player commands and computer feedback, even when a full framerate is maintained, often referred to as input lag.

Without realistic motion blurring, video games and computer animations would not look as fluid as on film even with the same frame rate. When a fast moving object is present on two consecutive frames there is inevitably a gap between the images on the two frames which can contribute to a noticeable separation of the object and its afterimage left in the eye. Motion blurring helps to mitigate this effect since it tends to reduce this image gap when the two frames are strung together (the effect of motion blurring is essentially superimposing multiple images of the fast-moving object on a single frame). The result is that the motion becomes more fluid to the human eye even as the image of the object becomes blurry on each individual frame.

A high framerate still doesn't guarantee fluid movements, especially on hardware with more than one GPU. The Effect is known as micro stuttering.
  20. Reviving and old thread because I was just curious and doing a search.. but all you have to do it turn off V-Sync as stated, then Close WoW.. then you can go into the WTF folder, open Config.wtf and add a line that says

SET maxFPS "0"

save, open WoW, profit.

0 being unlimited
  21. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming World Of Warcraft Striker Extreme Video Games