Can a desktop computer be used for wireless internet?

"Compaq" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> In an RV? Thanks in advance.

Yes. Same limitations of distance apply to any type of computer wireless
access.

--
Bob Alston

---

Compaq <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
> In an RV? Thanks in advance.

Certainly. Not while moving, if that's what you want.
Some cellular company's "3G" offerings might work while moving.

If you are in a campground, many of them offer free WiFi for their renters.
Or you could park in the lot near a Starbucks, if you had a T-Mobile
account.

The expectation would be that you had a laptop, but that makes no
difference in the wireless connection.

You would probably want a USB-adapter, so you could put the desktop where
you want, and the USB-adapter (with it's associated antenna) either in a
window, or outside, for better signal.

Currently, I like the DLink DWL-122. Cheap, small, and easy to stick into
a coffee can for a little more range.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=175

--
---

dold@CanXaXdesk.usenet.us.com wrote:

> Compaq <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
> > In an RV? Thanks in advance.
>
> Certainly. Not while moving, if that's what you want.
> Some cellular company's "3G" offerings might work while moving.
>
> If you are in a campground, many of them offer free WiFi for their renters.
> Or you could park in the lot near a Starbucks, if you had a T-Mobile
> account.
>
> The expectation would be that you had a laptop, but that makes no
> difference in the wireless connection.
>
> You would probably want a USB-adapter, so you could put the desktop where
> you want, and the USB-adapter (with it's associated antenna) either in a
> window, or outside, for better signal.
>
> Currently, I like the DLink DWL-122. Cheap, small, and easy to stick into
> a coffee can for a little more range.
> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=175
>
> --
> ---
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5

Thanks for the answer. Could you make a desktop use a cell phone for example,
or do you have to buy a wireless inter net card?\ is there web pages to help
someone get up to speed about wireless/ Thanks a lot!!!

Compaq <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the answer. Could you make a desktop use a cell phone for example,
> or do you have to buy a wireless inter net card?\ is there web pages to help
> someone get up to speed about wireless/ Thanks a lot!!!

Yes. The "3g" class of wireless access, or GPRS, can use certain
cellphones, or dedicated cards. None of the access methods care whether
your device is a laptop or desktop. There are some PCMCIA cards that won't
fit in a standard computer without an adapter, but USB or PCI devices will
work for you.

http://www.attwireless.com/business/plans/mobileinternet/
http://www.t-mobile.com/locator.asp?referer=/plans/default.asp%3Ftab%3Dinternet

PCMCIA - laptop: