Ugh, Max Payne help please...

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
So, I was goin through all of my games, and Stubled across Max Payne 1 & 2... I've got both installed, but I can't get MP1 to work... It crashes after the intro movie, during the load screen. Is it possible that my hardware is just too new? I will try it on my older computer later tonight... (Athlon XP 2200+, ATI 9250). Any help and/or suggestions would be much appreciated!

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Did you fully update the game? I remember having problems with MP1 on my last build running it un-patched. It might be an ATi thing. It also might be a problem with mods, if you are running any, the Kung Fu mod gave me headaches until it got updated.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Version 1.05? Is my sig showing up? I haven't been on much since the format change of the forums... I run an Athlon 4600+ with a 7900GT.. 2GB Ram, and other stuff... The things I think would effect it would be possibly the Dual core, or too new of a graphics card... I'm still trying to get my old computer to work, so I can get it on there, and try that...

CAn you see my Sig? with my rig specs?

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Didn't see the specs before, but I can't imagine it being a problem with the hardware being too new. It has been a while since I have messed with MP1, but in the launcher does it give you the choice of DirectX or OpenGL? That might be another issue, if the drivers have compatibility issues. It would usually hang for a while during loading if I had texture settings up too high, but that was with a 64Mb Video card and 512Mb RAM. You might try different video drivers, something they changed may conflict with MP1. At work I can't access any "gaming" sites to investigate further.

When it crashes, does it give you any error messages or event viewer log anything about it? And is it just this game doing this?

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007

It is just the game... All other games work fine... In fact, I dunno why I am craving MP, when I have tons of other newer better releases right here, that I haven't beat... I don't care enough to hassle with differnt video drivers, I'll just stick to the latest ones... there is no choice of DX or OpenGL. Thanks for your assistance so far though! Id still like to get it to work...

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
The only other thing I can really think of is applying a NO-CD patch, might be an issue with the copy protection, but I think it was before starforce...

Edit.
I just installed and updated it, no problems, so it's shouldn't be a dual-core problem. Don't know what to tell you, does MP2 work ok at least?

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
It might be your codecs... i had something similar with nomad soul, i had new codecs that crashed the game when it tired to play the intro.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
codecs? as in video and audio codecs? or do you mean drivers? It plays the movie, it crashes during the first loading screen. I think I will go try it on my old computer right now... (Athlon Xp 2200+, ATi 9250, 512MB ram)

bigsnyder

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
The Indeo codec usually is the culprit. I had the same trouble with Mafia. Aborting the entry movie before it starts will often avoid the problem.

Props to you for replaying Max Payne. One of my personal favorites of all-time.