Dual channel DDR chipset?

kernel32

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
What is the advantage of having a motherboard with dual channel DDR opposed to a non-dual channel mb? Does this mean that 2 sticks of ddr 400 can be used without clocking it down? Please define dual channel.

kernel32

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
I understand there's going to be a performance increase i.e. 128bit, but is the only difference with that the fact that it now runs synchronously? Does it have anything to do with how many sticks of ddr you can use?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i have one question....
have you seen <A HREF="http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=506435" target="_new">this</A>?

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DDR400 is already faster than the Athlon XP processor, so all you get is a little less latency when compared to a slower memory type at the same setting, say, Cas2. A very minute performance increase not worth the effort.

But for the P4, DDR400 only has the same bandwidth as Intel's slower "400" bus. To get the same bandwidth as their "533" bus with DDR memory, you need at least dual channel PC2100.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS