Turning off fan on kt7a

gingit80

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2002
Hello there!

I'm wondering if someone knows if it's OK to turn of the fan on the North Bridge on an ABIT kt7a motherboard.

I've got a Noise Control Big ATX Case w/ a PAPST 300 PSU.
That's a very noise-isolated case (quite big though)
My system temp is around 37 oC in normal use.

Is there someone who tried this?

Thanks!
/b

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
It all depends on
A. case temps
B. Size of MB heatsink
C. amount of heat output from the NB.

Whats the size and dimension of the actual heatsink?

If there is a moderate sized heatsink then yes you can try, then while running, put your finger on the heatsink and feel how hot its getting. Anything uncomfortable to touch is probably too hot.
If your computer also crashes thats a good indicator too!
But companies like Zhalman produce big NB heatsinks that work well without fans, so you could get one of them.

<b> :cool: I :smile: think :frown: I'm :redface: addicted :wink: to :eek: these :mad: ever :eek: so :tongue: cute :cool: smiley :lol: faces! :wink: </b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Don't think you should just turn it off. I had a KT7 (KT7A predecessor). The northbridge failed without me knowing it. The system was very unstable for a while until I discovered the faulty fan.

I removed the fan (but left the heatsink). It worked fine from then on even overclocked (not that the FSB on the KT7 can be overclocked very far). The KT7 is still running, 1.5 years later.

Try removing the northbridge fan and see how stable the your system is. It should work. Plenty of KT133A motherboards were sold without active nortbridge cooling.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>