How do i prevent my nieghbors from getting internet connec..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 7, 2004 3:34:15 AM

Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA

david
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 7, 2004 11:05:47 AM

One of the most effective ways is, if your router supports MAC address
filtering...just allow the ones from your machines, and block the rest.

Bill Crocker

"dave" <dao@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
> i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
> with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA
>
> david
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 7, 2004 3:22:06 PM

dave wrote:
> Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
> i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
> with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA
>
> david
Use encryption, either WPA or WEP, depending on what your equipment
supports.

wk
a b F Wireless
August 7, 2004 10:45:10 PM

dave wrote:
> Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
> i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
> with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA
>
> david

Use MAC filtering

Wim
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 7, 2004 10:45:11 PM

Use MAC Filtering and WEP or WPA
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 8, 2004 4:54:46 AM

dave wrote:
> Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
> i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
> with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA
>
> david

Hidden SSID. Wep encryption (128bits if possible). Mac Adress filtering.
Regular controls on association...

Aphrael :)
--
"La demande mondiale d’ordinateurs n’excédera pas cinq machines."
(Thomas Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)

First, change the default password to your router's menu. Second,
change the default SSID, enable encryption with a LONG passphrase
consisting of letters, numbers and symbols, then enable MAC filtering.
If you don't have WPA then change your WEP passphrase about once a
week. Keep in mind that these tips are not fool proof. We all know
that our networks are susceptible to someone with a lot of time,
determination and the proper equipment.
On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:34:15 -0500, dave <dao@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
>i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
>with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA
>
>david
August 13, 2004 6:33:49 PM

thanks but now how do i configure my laptop so it'll be able to get
online via wireless nic? TIa

dave

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 01:07:17 GMT, Doug Jamal
<unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:

>First, change the default password to your router's menu. Second,
>change the default SSID, enable encryption with a LONG passphrase
>consisting of letters, numbers and symbols, then enable MAC filtering.
>If you don't have WPA then change your WEP passphrase about once a
>week. Keep in mind that these tips are not fool proof. We all know
>that our networks are susceptible to someone with a lot of time,
>determination and the proper equipment.
>On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:34:15 -0500, dave <dao@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
>>i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
>>with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA
>>
>>david
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2004 5:13:49 AM

The changes I suggested must coincide with your card's settings. If
you use your card's config utility, make the SSID and Encryption
settings the same as that of your router. Afterwards, you should be
able to access the router and the internet. If you use WZC utility,
do the same.

!