How do i prevent my nieghbors from getting internet connec..

Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA

david
8 answers Last reply
More about prevent nieghbors internet connec

    One of the most effective ways is, if your router supports MAC address
    filtering...just allow the ones from your machines, and block the rest.

    Bill Crocker

    dave wrote:
    > Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
    > i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
    > with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA
    >
    > david
    Use encryption, either WPA or WEP, depending on what your equipment
    supports.

    wk

    dave wrote:
    > Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
    > i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
    > with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA
    >
    > david

    Use MAC filtering

    Wim

    Use MAC Filtering and WEP or WPA

    dave wrote:
    > Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
    > i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
    > with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA
    >
    > david

    Hidden SSID. Wep encryption (128bits if possible). Mac Adress filtering.
    Regular controls on association...

    Aphrael :)
    --
    "La demande mondiale d’ordinateurs n’excédera pas cinq machines."
    (Thomas Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)

    First, change the default password to your router's menu. Second,
    change the default SSID, enable encryption with a LONG passphrase
    consisting of letters, numbers and symbols, then enable MAC filtering.
    If you don't have WPA then change your WEP passphrase about once a
    week. Keep in mind that these tips are not fool proof. We all know
    that our networks are susceptible to someone with a lot of time,
    determination and the proper equipment.
    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:34:15 -0500, dave <dao@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
    >i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
    >with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA
    >
    >david

    thanks but now how do i configure my laptop so it'll be able to get
    online via wireless nic? TIa

    dave

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 01:07:17 GMT, Doug Jamal
    <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >First, change the default password to your router's menu. Second,
    >change the default SSID, enable encryption with a LONG passphrase
    >consisting of letters, numbers and symbols, then enable MAC filtering.
    >If you don't have WPA then change your WEP passphrase about once a
    >week. Keep in mind that these tips are not fool proof. We all know
    >that our networks are susceptible to someone with a lot of time,
    >determination and the proper equipment.
    >On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:34:15 -0500, dave <dao@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
    >>i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
    >>with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA
    >>
    >>david

    The changes I suggested must coincide with your card's settings. If
    you use your card's config utility, make the SSID and Encryption
    settings the same as that of your router. Afterwards, you should be
    able to access the router and the internet. If you use WZC utility,
    do the same.

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:33:49 -0500, dave <dao@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >thanks but now how do i configure my laptop so it'll be able to get
    >online via wireless nic? TIa
    >
    >dave
    >

    >On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 01:07:17 GMT, Doug Jamal
    ><unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>First, change the default password to your router's menu. Second,
    >>change the default SSID, enable encryption with a LONG passphrase
    >>consisting of letters, numbers and symbols, then enable MAC filtering.
    >>If you don't have WPA then change your WEP passphrase about once a
    >>week. Keep in mind that these tips are not fool proof. We all know
    >>that our networks are susceptible to someone with a lot of time,
    >>determination and the proper equipment.
    >>On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:34:15 -0500, dave <dao@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi i have just set up the a wireless routor(dlink 614+) with sbc dsl.
    >>>i don't want neighbors with wireless card to be able to get online
    >>>with my routor. how do i set that up? TIA
    >>>
    >>>david

Wireless Internet Wireless Networking