Sign in with
Your question

Serious Bioshock Performance Problems

Last response: in Video Games
August 24, 2007 12:50:50 PM

Okay, so I just brough the game bioshock which is a title I have been looking forward to for AGES and lo and behold its running like crap...

Ill try to keep this post short and sweet so here is my system specs.

Cpu - Intel Q6600 running at stock speeds
Gpu - Nvidia 7900gs Running at 550 core and 690 mem
Ram - 4 Gb of GeiL Black Dragon 5-5-5-15 DDR2 800mhz RAM
Mobo - Asus p5k Deluxe stock bios - ( Everything else is working fine and have heard about issues with updated bios )
Operating System - Windows Vista Home premium 64 bit

Basically the fps is awful, there is no option to display fps in game but I estimate that one enemy causes a drop to about 15 - 25 fps Im trying to run it at 1680 x 1050 which is my native res and I assumed that a relativley powerful 7900 card which is also overclocked should have no problems..

I am using the beta drivers from nvidia made for bioshock as recommended..

I called tech support and spoke to a nice enough guy who sounded tired ( probably cause of all the complaints 2k are getting with their ludicrous copy protection system ) and all he could reccomend was turning the resolution down to 1024 x 768 - which although does improve the performance just wont do when I pay over 1000 pounds for a new computer and meet all the reccomended specs for the game..

Is anyone else having and performance problems and is it a problem connected to running in widescreen mode ?

Thanks in advance - Liam
August 24, 2007 5:19:09 PM

Bump
August 24, 2007 11:26:38 PM

That's what happens when you buy a generation old mid range videocard. Another thing that may be an issue is that you're running Vista x64; I myself have run Bioshock on Vista x64 with my 8800GTX and have found performance to be significantly hurt when enabling vertical sync, and the Direct X10 enhancements aren't worth the instability I've suffered on the OS.
Related resources
August 25, 2007 12:23:04 AM

Just for your information I didn't buy the 7900gs I reused it from an old system because I couldn't afford a card at the time.

Anyway thanks for helping I appreciate that the 7900gs isnt ideal but its certainly not a reduntant card by todays standards and I have now purchased a superclocked Evga 8800gts and should be able to max it at 1680 * 1050
August 25, 2007 12:24:28 AM

7900gs is barely card enough for this game. especialy at 1680x1050. i have a 7950gt 256mb and i get from 18-60 fps (without v-sync) at 1280x1024. i am not at all suprised you are having dificulties with your card at those resolutions.
August 25, 2007 11:35:27 AM

Thanks alot for that firetatoo =D Now I know its not just my card ^^
August 25, 2007 7:14:03 PM

spoleto said:

Well there's your problem..... :kaola: 

Seriously though, your GPU is pretty good, in general, but thats a high res to be running a new game at. Lower the res a bit and it should work great.
August 25, 2007 8:31:55 PM

I'm guessing when you get your 8800 it will make a big difference.

I'm running a a gtx(612/1000) with an e6600 at 3.2 and have noticed no slowdowns at all playing at 1680*1050 dx10,(32bit Vista).
Below is a fraps display of my typical framerates. I've have seen the occasional dip down to the 30's but typically intense scenes play in 40's.
August 25, 2007 10:44:56 PM

Thanks alot guys, hopefully the 8800 should help things go a bit more smoothly =D
August 26, 2007 11:28:59 PM

I have an 8800 gts and run at 1680x1050 at max with no slowdown. You will see a huge improvement over your old 7900gs.
August 27, 2007 6:43:53 AM

Hold on waaiiiit a second! I don't understand why so many people are having problems running this game. My system is pretty modest by todays standards, but with everything maxed and running at 1280x1024 the game ran flawlessly. Here's my specs:

CPU: C2D E4300@1.8GHz (Normally I have it o/c to 2.4 but for some reason World of Warcraft stutters and crawls unless I run at default speeds. As a result, when I played Bioshock just now my system was not overclocked in any way).
GPU: Asus EN7900GT
2 x 1 GB Kingston value ram
etc etc

To be honest, I expected the game to run like crap and was halfway out the door to jump on the 8800 bandwagon. However after playing Bioshock on max settings without a single stutter or slowdown I see no reason to upgrade as this setup plays all my games without any problems.

Oh, one more thing: I installed the nvidia beta drivers without using driver cleaner or uninstalling the previous drivers and even now thinking about it I'm blown away by how well the game runs.

Why the spiele you ask? Well I just thought for all the people believing they need to upgrade for this one - try it first, you might be surprised at your current machines capability.
August 27, 2007 12:15:37 PM

yep defo the video card.
Am running it at 1920x 1200 on system below on 64bit Vista.
A few crashes but the FPS seems to be fine. I disabled the DX10 features because frankly they're not worth the hit in fps.
August 28, 2007 6:46:15 PM

Why not try to lower the texture settings a bit and keep the native res. at least then things will look the way they should(not blurry as some lcd's are at lower resolutions) and you should get better fps too.

@ least its free that way. Once in a game most people don't have the time to take in the scenery anyway when they are killing things.

I would consider 70+ to 30(or even 40) to be quite a noticeable drop but this effects people differently. For example 60 down to 50 feels slacking(laggy). yet play on an old computer and 45 down to 35 does not have the same feeling at all.... you seem to get used to the high rates then any drop feels bad....yet if you play on a older system at a lower but more constant rate you seem to start to ignore it and play just fine. Anyone ever play GTA SA with the frame limiter on(by default anyway)...after a while(at first it hurts if you are coming from 75fps vsync'd farcry) you don't even notice you are at 25fps..It seems to be more about the drops then the actual fps for most people. Just a thought...
August 29, 2007 1:34:07 AM

Yup, wts ^^^

Problems:
- Vista. Get rin of it :p  xp will still give you better results al least for the next few months.

-7900. Get rid of that too. Ppl say Bio favours ati anyway? But either way, a gen old card on the latest games will always dissapoint.

If u consider upgrading specifically for this game, wait a month or two, see which card wins.

:) 
August 30, 2007 6:21:01 PM

spoleto said:
Okay, so I just brough the game bioshock which is a title I have been looking forward to for AGES and lo and behold its running like crap...

Ill try to keep this post short and sweet so here is my system specs.

Cpu - Intel Q6600 running at stock speeds
Gpu - Nvidia 7900gs Running at 550 core and 690 mem
Ram - 4 Gb of GeiL Black Dragon 5-5-5-15 DDR2 800mhz RAM
Mobo - Asus p5k Deluxe stock bios - ( Everything else is working fine and have heard about issues with updated bios )

Basically the fps is awful, there is no option to display fps in game but I estimate that one enemy causes a drop to about 15 - 25 fps Im trying to run it at 1680 x 1050 which is my native res and I assumed that a relativley powerful 7900 card which is also overclocked should have no problems..

I am using the beta drivers from nvidia made for bioshock as recommended..

I called tech support and spoke to a nice enough guy who sounded tired ( probably cause of all the complaints 2k are getting with their ludicrous copy protection system ) and all he could reccomend was turning the resolution down to 1024 x 768 - which although does improve the performance just wont do when I pay over 1000 pounds for a new computer and meet all the reccomended specs for the game..

Is anyone else having and performance problems and is it a problem connected to running in widescreen mode ?

Thanks in advance - Liam

I'm having these exact problems with an 8800GTS 640MB, E6600, 2GB Ballistix, Asus P5B deluxe, Raptor 150GB, XP Home at 1920 x 1200 resolution. Lower the resolution doesn't help much. Did you get it fixed?
April 4, 2009 5:16:32 AM

I have noticed serious issues with Crysis... runs super slow and the sound is all choppy. Ran fine with XP Pro SP 3. I cant even get Gears of War to install correctly on Windows 7, installation can take over an hour to decompress files towards the end of the installation.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate beta build 7057
April 6, 2009 3:35:00 AM

GSTe said:
I'm having these exact problems with an 8800GTS 640MB, E6600, 2GB Ballistix, Asus P5B deluxe, Raptor 150GB, XP Home at 1920 x 1200 resolution. Lower the resolution doesn't help much. Did you get it fixed?

And also sounds like the exact same problem I'm having. Asus 790 chipset mobo, 4gb OCZ, Phenom 9550 (2.2ghz) BFG tech 9800GT 512mb, 250gb + 80gb Sata, IDE DVD-rw Win XP64. Game runs smooth most of the time, but whenever I open a door I will get a major frame rate hit for about 10 seconds then it will go back to normal. It also happens sometimes with alot of effect and enemies on screen. I'm running it now in 1280*1024, lowering texture quality and resolution to 1024 didnt speed it up much, still slows down to a crawl periodically like its swapping to the hard drive. Running latest drivers as of a week ago i think new ones just came out, didnt change anything. Seems to get worse the longer I play. For comparision, fallout 3 I run at 1600*1200 with 2x AA and it runs very smooth 99% of the time, with extremely fast loading times between levels to boot. I know bioshock has more bells and whistles in some ways than F3, but my specs are way above the "recommended", so what gives? It should run much faster than it does.

Seems like Bioshock just doesn't like my setup. I wanna call tech support but I feel like they will just give me the run around and treat me like a noob.
July 3, 2009 12:22:04 AM

Sounds the same here the funny thing is I just upgraded my cards from 8600gt 256 to 8800gts with 640. The funny thing the game ran perfect with the 8600's no problems at all at max grapphics everything on full and 1680X1050 res now i got these new cards and It runs like crap really slow framerates.. The only thing I have changed is the cards and the drivers. Every single one of my games I can now max out including Crysis wich is amazing (not on ultra tho I only have XP no DX10) but still the only game i have trouble with is Bioshock everything else is MUCH better I don;t get it.. Seems to me the newest nvidia drivers could be part of the problem. Or possivly 2k 's gotta come out with another patch..

Sbingr

Q6600
4GB Kingston
XFX 8800 GTS w/SLI X2
P5KSLI Board
July 3, 2009 2:19:11 AM

Try without SLI.

Maybe there is a profiling issue.
July 3, 2009 2:54:25 PM

i fixed my frame rate problem by reverting to older drivers, i believe they are dated from january. now bioshock runs very smooth
July 4, 2009 11:12:04 AM

I have reported several bugs, and while it takes literal years to get them all out(Look at the NV Vista drivers, something like 9 months before any new non beta drivers for 8800GTX owners), They DID fix one that pissed me off allot. It is too bad there where so many bugs, but if they do not know, they do not fix.

Since most users have beat and re-beat bioshock(come on bioshock 2 already), there may not have been many users who have noticed this issue or played lately.
July 25, 2009 11:44:19 PM

Tried backdating my drivers and it fixed my problem went to 169.27 so it's deffinatly at nvidia's end i will send in a report too can't hurt right?

But either way when i go back to the old drivers a lot of my other games start having problems so i guess i will have to wait for a fix.
July 25, 2009 11:55:43 PM

Did the newest Nvidia that was just released(190.38) in the last week work? or did you already have that?

I was just playing bioshock, I did note that if the ambient occlusion option was on the fps would drop to 30, always 30(not lower or higher) and the mouse seemed almost lagged, but once that was off it was great again.
July 26, 2009 12:14:46 AM

Yeah I'm running 190.38 and it seems to help kinda but it's still go problems Ijust sent Nvidia some feedback. I'm sure the will figure it out. but like I said the old drivers seems to make it work finr but i'm not willing to backdate I have other games i would rather play biosock it the only one.. Shitty tho man i would like to play it. Tried the occulation didn't seem to help me. Oh well gotta love playing with pc's eh? for example just bought Mirror's edge verry pretty and runs maxed flawless at 1680 X 1050. Can;t really blame Nvidia tho there are so many variations on cards and games the struggle to keep up.. Hopefully they figure it out. :) 

Sbingr
July 26, 2009 12:16:44 AM

I agree with you Though bring on Biosock 2!
July 26, 2009 2:57:43 AM

Guess what i was just playing? Bioshock :p  This time i will kill every little sister. Wonder how it will end then.
July 27, 2009 12:16:08 AM

Rubbing it in eh? Nice that's real nice...lol I never tried playing that was either I always tend to play the good guy. :D 
!