Low DL bitrate - how to clean XP's Memory?

Hi

My download bitrate has averaged 4400 b/s until very recently; now it's
dropped to an average 2200 b/s.

I'm thinking that the Memory's getting clogged somehow.

I've recently defragged the system, and I'm reading through XP's help files
for clues on cleaning the cache or swap files or Memory generally.

Hopefully someone here has figured a way to fix this.

One thing I'm probably overdue to think about is a decent Registry/System
cleaner. I'm stumped by the options though. Any recommendations on a
system and Registry cleaner developed for the XP?

Thanks for any and all help.

GP
5 answers Last reply
More about bitrate clean memory

    "Greg Purvis" <safehausNOSPAM@webhart.net> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >My download bitrate has averaged 4400 b/s until very recently; now it's
    >dropped to an average 2200 b/s.
    >
    >I'm thinking that the Memory's getting clogged somehow.
    >
    >I've recently defragged the system, and I'm reading through XP's help files
    >for clues on cleaning the cache or swap files or Memory generally.
    >
    >Hopefully someone here has figured a way to fix this.
    >
    >One thing I'm probably overdue to think about is a decent Registry/System
    >cleaner. I'm stumped by the options though. Any recommendations on a
    >system and Registry cleaner developed for the XP?
    >
    >Thanks for any and all help.
    >
    >GP

    Even a 15 year old 80386 based computer with just a couple of megs of
    RAM would have no trouble keeping up with a 4400 bps download

    Are you sure you don't mean kbps? 4400 kbps would be a good high
    speed connection for cable internet. And even that is less than half
    the speed of slow (10 mbps) ethernet network connection for a LAN.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    "Ron Martell" <ron@onlinehelp.bc.ca> wrote in message
    > "Greg Purvis" <safehausNOSPAM@webhart.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >My download bitrate has averaged 4400 b/s until very recently; now it's
    > >dropped to an average 2200 b/s.
    > >
    > >I'm thinking that the Memory's getting clogged somehow.
    > >
    > >I've recently defragged the system, and I'm reading through XP's help
    files
    > >for clues on cleaning the cache or swap files or Memory generally.
    > >
    > >Hopefully someone here has figured a way to fix this.
    > >
    > >One thing I'm probably overdue to think about is a decent Registry/System
    > >cleaner. I'm stumped by the options though. Any recommendations on a
    > >system and Registry cleaner developed for the XP?
    > >
    > >Thanks for any and all help.
    > >
    > >GP
    > >

    > Even a 15 year old 80386 based computer with just a couple of megs of
    > RAM would have no trouble keeping up with a 4400 bps download
    >
    > Are you sure you don't mean kbps? 4400 kbps would be a good high
    > speed connection for cable internet. And even that is less than half
    > the speed of slow (10 mbps) ethernet network connection for a LAN.

    Hi, Ron

    I'm using XNews and a 56k modem. At the moment XNews is reading "2787 B/s".

    Thanks
    GP

    None of the options you've cited will have any effect on
    download speeds. The more likely problem is noisy phone
    lines. And someone who doesn't know the difference
    between memory and storage should not be messing with the
    registry or with registry cleaners. If you can, try
    plugging in to a different phone jack and see if it helps.

    Thanks for the advice. A telephone repair person will be looking into the
    problem.

    "Greg Purvis" <safehausNOSPAM@webhart.net> wrote:

    >Hi, Ron
    >
    >I'm using XNews and a 56k modem. At the moment XNews is reading "2787 B/s".
    >
    >Thanks
    >GP

    What does the connection icon in your system tray show? If you hover
    over the icon with the mouse you should get an information popup that
    gives the connection information and connected speed.

    If that speed is significantly higher than the speed reported by xnews
    then the problem is most likley caused by something at the news server
    end.

    And if the connection icon reports a slow connection speed (less than
    24000 bps) then there is either a modem or a phone line problem
    affecting the speed.

    The results of this check should reduce the list of possible suspects,
    making a more focussed check possible.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --