Help, I just bought a new notebook which come pre-
installed with Windows Xp home. But after loading some
DOS applications from my old desktop, I found that those
application runs don't run very well. And the
applications slow down the whole PC when it is running.
The application runs fine on my desktop PC which runs
Windows 98SE. By the way, those application are develope
using Clipper and XBase database.
My question is; Can windows XP run old DOS applications?
If not, can I just install my desktop Windows 98SE onto
the notebook, would that be consider as piracy? After
all, I do have a license for Windows XP which I can't use.

"Joe Lim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Help, I just bought a new notebook which come pre-
>installed with Windows Xp home. But after loading some
>DOS applications from my old desktop, I found that those
>application runs don't run very well. And the
>applications slow down the whole PC when it is running.
>The application runs fine on my desktop PC which runs
>Windows 98SE. By the way, those application are develope
>using Clipper and XBase database.
>My question is; Can windows XP run old DOS applications?
>If not, can I just install my desktop Windows 98SE onto
>the notebook, would that be consider as piracy? After
>all, I do have a license for Windows XP which I can't use.

If you don't need the modern software and hardware that requires
Windows XP in order to run then perhaps you need to reconsider your
need for the new notebook. Check into the possibility of returning
it and then shop around for a used notebook running Windows 95 or 98
if you need the portability.

XP can run *most* DOS applications provided they are properly
programmed and do not use *cute programmer tricks* such as bypassing
the operating system function calls and directly accessing the
computer hardware. Windows XP, like all NT based versions of
Windows, strictly enforces the separation of the application programs
from the hardware and the must use the operating system functions for
all hardware related activity such as disk access, video, printing, or
serial port communications.

If your DOS applications are commercial products then you may be able
to get some advice or assistance from others who have used, or tried
to use, the same applications under XP. Post a response back here
with the application names if this is the case.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP