Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PS3 component output problem

Last response: in Video Games
August 27, 2007 12:58:03 AM

Okay, so I have my PS3 hooked up to my home theater system.. It runs digital audio output, no problems yet.. But when it comes to the video itself, using Component output hooked up to the projector, whenever we watch Blu-Ray movies, play games, or use the thing to begin with, the color seems to be WAY off. To be exact, it's way too green then it should be.

Any fix to this? I'd really love to play my games and watch Blu-Ray movies on my projection screen but the color is WAY too green.. And yes, I've triple checked to make sure the component cables are hooked up properly. No red being plugged into green by accident or any of that nonsense.

Thanks!
August 28, 2007 10:33:57 PM

Anyone know how to fix this? Anyone? 50 views and nothing?
September 14, 2007 6:06:51 AM

Have you tried playing around with the PS3's Display Settings? Go to Settings then Display Settings, then Video Output Settings.
Related resources
September 14, 2007 2:11:57 PM

check the presets on the projector, make sure that the colour temp isnt set to the wrong colour. most of the time it takes a while to set up a projector.
September 11, 2008 3:04:16 AM

SAGEKILLA I HAVE THAT SAME PROBLEM, I'M THINKING MAYBE ITS THE BRAND OF COMPONENT CABLES I BOUGHT BUT NOT SURE, JUST WONDERING WHICH ONES YOU BOUGHT, IF THEY ARE THE SAME IT MIGHT BE A GOOD PLACE TO START
September 11, 2008 3:05:16 AM

AND MINE IS HOOKED TO OUR TV, SO I DOUBT ITS THE PROJECTOR
October 9, 2008 8:17:32 PM

Hi I have the same problem did you manage to find a solution to the problem?
Thanks
November 5, 2008 9:52:51 PM

Hi, it sounds to me like you are using RGB component and the PS3 is switching to YPrPb for blu-ray content.

In YPrPb (also ambiguously called component) 'Y' is the juicy luminescence channel (effectively a black and white version of the video.) Perhaps not so coincidentally this pin is shared with the 'green' RGB channel..!

Thus if the PS3 switches into YPrPb component mode and you are using your displays RGB input - you will suddenly be seeing green..!

Now, the resolution of the RGB/SCART component output is limited to 640x480, while the YPrPb component output supports proper HD resolutions (720p etc). I think the PS3's logic will be something like: "Hey, you are trying to play HD content so i will switch to an HD output mode.."

Because the RGB output pins are shared with the YPrPb output pins the PS3 may be confused into thinking that a YPrPb output is available..? Other then that i am really not sure why it does this.

I believe that many of the 'proper' PS3 RGB cables have active circuitry in them and are really YPrPb --> RGB converters. This lets them support higher resolutions and get around this weird mode switching issue. YPrPb --> RGB conversion is non trivial so you basically need a fancy ASIC to do it... Hence these cables/converters cost quite a bit...

So all i can say is... Use YPrPb component or complain to Sony about it, as it seems to be there problem..

Cheers, Jesse

http://waas.ca/pivot/entry.php?id=7&w=waasca_-_hardware
April 22, 2011 9:19:07 PM

Sagekilla said:
Okay, so I have my PS3 hooked up to my home theater system.. It runs digital audio output, no problems yet.. But when it comes to the video itself, using Component output hooked up to the projector, whenever we watch Blu-Ray movies, play games, or use the thing to begin with, the color seems to be WAY off. To be exact, it's way too green then it should be.

Any fix to this? I'd really love to play my games and watch Blu-Ray movies on my projection screen but the color is WAY too green.. And yes, I've triple checked to make sure the component cables are hooked up properly. No red being plugged into green by accident or any of that nonsense.

Thanks!

Dear sage,
Th problem you have,( or I'm pretty sure you have ) is that there is a missing connection inside the cord. T going to gamestop or best buy and purchase a new one ( 5$) , or you can try to plug the chord into a tv and see if it does the same. If that is not the same then the projector is out of date or the ps3 output is too advanced. There is no cheap fix for a bad projector.

- broliodriver
April 22, 2011 9:47:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!