ASUS A7V333 Problem

olds75

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Hey guys I just built a new computer and I am having some problem with the startup. Everytime it starts the computers comes up with the message Scanning for IDE drives. I know this is normal for the first time the computer is started but it shouldn't do it everytime. After it searches everything works fine but I would still like to track down the porblem. Does any one have any idea how to fix this. By the way its an ASUS A7V333 motherboard. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
actually it should do it every time... but how long it takes is the issue. how long does it take?

if it takes more than just a few seconds, you need to look at your jumper settings. all EIDE devices have an intergraded controller. if you have no jumpers, and two devices on the same EIDE cable, both of those devices will fight for control to be master. also look at the IRQs and make sure there are no conflicts.

a bios update is also a good idea anyway. there are other things that could be the problem as well. take a look at your jumpers and if thats not the problem give us a little more info and we'll see if we can help you better.

<b><font color=orange>*my favorite bum on 21st street*

-please help-
will code HTML for food.
-god bless you-

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
btw, all EIDE devices are set to default at the manufacturer.

<b><font color=orange>*my favorite bum on 21st street*

-please help-
will code HTML for food.
-god bless you-

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
You happen to have an A7V333-RAID just as I do... Look in the manual and find the jumper RAID_EN it's located in the lower right quarter of the board. Set it to disable.

1 2 3
[=] * Enabled
* [=] Disabled

Now the Promise controler won't look for a RAID array uselessly every single time you boot.

Fok Speling Misstake

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
That´s normal in the A7V333. This is the only thing I don't like of this motherboard...it takes too long to boot.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
The A7V333-RAID don't "takes too long to boot", it's the onboard Promise RAID controller that scans for a RAID array of IDE drives by default. Standard issue newbies never read their motherboard manual, thats why so many A7V333-RAID users are ranting about the board boot time. They run to THG forum expecting to be spoon feed a solution to a well documented "issue" they did'nt investigate.

Fok Speling Misstake