BioShock Soaked in DRM Fiasco

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
It's such a shame (or maybe not) that they're going to lose a ton of sales because of this. I played the demo, really liked it, but am extremely irritated that it left crapware on my PC that shouldn't be there.

No way in HELL am I going to spend money on that game or any other game released by anyone involved in this mess.

Not for a long while.

I thought I was done with this after starforce was shunned. Are they TRYING to push PC gamers towards consoles?

I do feel bad for all of the programmers who worked so hard to make a great game.

belal

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2005
What I'm really curious about (And haven't heard anything on yet) is if the online delivered version (Through Steam) is affected by the same problems. Has anyone heard? I got the online version as I had an Amex gift card I couldn't use anywhere up in Canada, but I'm not brave enough to try uninstalling and re-installing it just to see if it will crap out on me.

Anyone know? RobWright? ^^

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I'll eventually get the game, but I will not pay full price. I got the Prey special edition brand new from gamestop a few weeks ago for $10. When Bioshoc reaches that price.. I may consider it.

tlmck

Distinguished

I pretty much do the same. It is about the same time that the games start to work under Wine in Linux. Only paid $9.99 ea. for COD2 and HL2: Episode 1.

Tried to run the Bioshock demo, but the SecuROM would not run under Wine. No SecuROM, no demo, and no money from me.

eskimo68

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
What something like this boils down to in my book, I wouldn't touch this software with a bargepole.

Fact: I have one analysis software installed (which cost several hundred bucks) with a wicked protection scheme. I'm dead scared the activation server some day will just disappear but it has been up for more than three years now. But my PC is soon to be upgraded so... :)

jools33

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I wont buy another Take Two product - until they issue a statement to show that they wont use this kind of DRM in the future - I would encourage all developers considering using this publisher to think twice and insist on no malware with their work.
This kind of copy protection means that in 5 to 10 years time no-one will be able to play Bioshock -as all original owners will have reached the limit - it just shows the publishers are in this for short term gains - and screw the end user community. The best response is don't buy it - ever!

gochichi

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
It's sad that they didn't make an exclusive deal with Steam. Steam works, it protects against piracy, which is really important b/c PC gaming is collapsing due to piracy.

I think it's important to aknowledge their need to protect their software. However, I hate having to plug in my CD into drive. HATE IT.

The new 5 installs with the possibility of uninstalls is REALLY lax, I don't know who could have a problem with the new rules. Still though, going exclusive with Steam would have made for a smoother release. I don't know what was up with Circuit City selling this game for $40.00 on release date though... so I jumped on it. WIsh I had Steam though. The hard release should have gone through Steam, and playing the game should require an internet connection... I don't like piracy and this method is ticking people off which is exactly what gets a PC game cracked to begin with.

I give it a few months before Bioshock is cracked... cracked so that you don't need a stupid disk, and cracked so you can actually play the thing. Way to go.

And by the way, the game is SERIOUSLY overrated.

zincas

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
When will the producers learn that DRM will ALWAYS hurt their customers and promote piracy. For one hand, the hackers will always be one step forward. They will always be able to crack any kind of protection. So, using this ridiculous DRM tecnics will only make genuine customers to search for EXE or NOCD crack for the games they've bought. Eventually, they will stop to buy games, and just download them from internet. Why to pay for the game, if you have to crack it? Doesn't make any sense...
:pfff:

randomizer

Champion
People remember this:
Every company that exists, exists solely to make a profit, nothing else.

If they can try prevent you copying the game "illegally", and/or make you buy it more than once they are more than happy to do that. Customer service/satisfaction is just a side benefit that is not really intended it is just a consequence of "industry standards." Long term customers are not their focus, by then newer games will make them far more money.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I remember the low grumble that occured (all those years ago) when Alpha Centauri didn't require the CD to be present in the drive but the expansion did and reverse engineered Alpha Centauri to require it as well.

But it died down. I think we all realized that it was a necessary and fair step to ensure the game's profitablilty as far as the general piublic goes. We gamers can be reasonable.

I think they're pushing a bit too far here. IMO this is (among other things) a blatant attempt to block a certain segment of gamers from beating the game and reselling it, sharing it with friends (LEGALLY), or just giving it away. Maybe even an attempt to explore the possibilty of drying up used PC game sales all together.

And what do they have to lose? If every gamer is a console gamer in 10-20 years they'll still make the money on sales and they won't have to worry about piracy.

PC Gamers are just a necessary evil to them. Why make the experience pleasant? My wish is for one of those $%^* to travel to my house on their own time and clean my PC of the crap their demo left on it.

I'm assuming that won't happen.

zincas

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

True, but we that buy games instead of downloading piracy do it for 3 reasons:
1st: Support develop of more games (maybe not everyone does this...)
2nd: Because of the beautifull box and all manuals that comes with it (ehehehe)
3rd: People are just too lazy to download it from the internet

Concerning the 3rd reason, imagine this: you can have 2 options- a) buy the game and go trough a living hell on the install / error / failure of your OS because of all the crappware that is installed along with the game (Starforce or other DRM crap) or b) download a "safer..." pirate copy from the internet, apply the crack and forget about it, and still save some bucks... Ok, i've bought this game... ok, the company made proffit with it... ok, i WILL NOT buy any more games from this or any other company that uses DRM schemes.
Bottom line is: Instead of collect the eggs, 2K killed the chicken to have them all at once. Now, there is no chicken and no more eggs.

randomizer

Champion

4th reason: You can't be fined/arrested for buying a game legally.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
The Unreal (not counting u2) games have done well on PC (why else wouldn't it still be around), UT and UT2k4 (i'm assuming ut2k3 aswell) did not need cd/dvd in the drive, I hope UT3 does the same.

OMG NO MORE CHICKEN - I'M GOING TO STARVE WHEN I GO TO KFC!!

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
This is a great post!

Is man not entitled to the game he buys?

NO, says the man at Securom. It belongs to 2K.
NO, says the man at 2K. It belongs to us.
NO, says the man at Microsoft. It belongs to our license purchasers.

I rejected those answers.

Instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...piracy! Where the gamer would not be censored, where the PC owner would not be bound by petty encryption, where the buyer would not be constrained by corporate greed. And with the downloading of your torrents, piracy could become your salvation.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=149500&postcount=3

extremefire

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I have some upgrades coming in for my gaming rig this week, faster CPU and a DX10 card. I was looking forward to going out and purchasing BioShock after I got everything changed out and Windows set back up. I guess that isn't going to happen now, at least not until they quit using the DRM crap. WGA is bad enough, I am not going to start dealing with that style of DRM/activation to run an app or game.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
What happens when they decide they dont want to support the game anymore and take down the Secure Servers that allow you to install? I guess you wont be able to install and have a nice coaster instead of a game. Nice...