Firewall in XP (sp2) -cannot connect over VPN

Hi,

I use Cisco VPN client to connect to remote project
servers over WAN.
My sys: Intel '86, 512 Mb
It used to work fine with XP, professional - ServicePack 1

But with SP2 could only connect when I disable the
Firewall settings.

Where can I get details of how to disable firewall for
specific programs/ ports/ remote servers.
(I played with the Exceptions tab in WindowsFirewall
dialog but only cud connect if I disable Firewall
completely)

After connection re-enabling the Firewall settings seems
to have effect on the established connection - Cud read/
write to the remote http/ CVS servers.

Any clues ?
3 answers Last reply
More about firewall cannot connect

    "Jeevan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I use Cisco VPN client to connect to remote project
    >servers over WAN.
    >My sys: Intel '86, 512 Mb
    >It used to work fine with XP, professional - ServicePack 1
    >
    >But with SP2 could only connect when I disable the
    >Firewall settings.

    See "Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service
    Pack 2" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=875357).

    --
    (tm)

    With firewall enabled I tried the VPN s/w.
    It did not connect but did not get the 'Security Alert'
    dialog/ baloon or whatever as the KB article says. - WHY ?

    The article says, that this message _may_ pop up. Try using the manual
    configuration as described under "Configuring Windows Firewall by
    using the Windows Security Center".

    --
    (tm)

Windows XP Connection vpn Firewalls Servers