Motherboard Upgrade

Michaelthehibby

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
I'm just about to do a major upgrade from my ancient Gateway PII 400 to something more modern. I'd like to do it in as many stages as possible and re-use as much of my old kit as I can. I'd like to be able to keep using my Geforce 256 DDR card for a few months while the DirectX 9 cards come out and drop in price; will this work on a new motherboard like the G8IEXP?

piasabird

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
It depends what the Voltage rating is on your video card. There was a point after witch the voltage on the AGP ports changed to a lower voltage I think. So check the specs on your video card. The danger is burning up a new motherboard!

when you see smoke is that a good sign?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The voltage this last guy spoke of...
The standard for AGP2x was 3.3v, for AGP4x it is 1.5v. The earliest AGP4x cards, like the Diamond Viper V770 Ultra, had two jumpers on the card itself that were most resposible for changing the input voltage. Most subsequent cards had auto-switching.

But there were exceptions. Hercules made some AGP4x cards that were 3.3v only! Which means they violated some of the AGP4x standards!

Very few models of card were affected. You should do some research on your particular card to be certain, as it's age would put it in the timeframe of these sub-par cards.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Michaelthehibby

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Its a Creative 3D Blaster 256 Annihilator Pro which says it is AGP 4X compatible but needs a AGP2 slot. Nothing in any of the online documentation about voltages. I'll see if I can find the original manual or anything else on the web

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could ask Creative. The good news is I've never seen it on the lists of cards with this problem. Creative has user forums BTW, you could probably find out there as well.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

sbolinger2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
I beleive that if you put a 3.3v old style agp video card into a 1.5v new style agp slot, your video card simply won't work. If you buy a new mobo it most likely will be 1.5v. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS