cr33ch

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
arrrgghhhh :s

Every time i turn on my computer now i get a blue screen right before im about to get the log on screen. It only tells me that there has been a fatal error.

Right before this started to happen i tried to access task manager when the puter started runing really slow, and it complained that it couldnt start task manager because of some missing dll (of course i forgot to note which dll) :S

So im sitting here with absolutely no clue as to what i should do. I cant boot into safe mode to try a system restore point because the same blue screen appears.

Can anyone help me out here? Or tell me where i could find out what i should do ?

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Can you boot from the Windows XP Install CD and use the "repair installation" function?

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

cr33ch

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I made a backup of my winxp cd and it doesnt seem to be working, it is not being recognised as a bootable volume, i think.

I cant find where the original went either, this day just keeps getting worse :/

ok, i was gonna say that might be the problem, but b4 you say that. there is a command if you can get it into safe w/ command prompt... that will run your reapir, i think it is fdisk /fixmbr, but you are prolly wanna go and ask toejam first, i know he would know.

"This Steel ain't stainless, Your bloodstains are all over this steel."

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Messianic Maniac.}=-</A>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
You can get the manufacturers hard drive utility and run test on full test on the drive using a floppy.

You can also test your memory with memtest86+.

Both are avaliable as part of the 100MB Ultimate Boot CD, which is currently my favorite multiboot utility CD.

BTW I always install from XP CDs customized with answer files. I use EasySFVCreator(free)to create an .sfv (cyclical redunancy code for each file) of the orriginal CD. I then add that to the iso image using UltraISO(not free).

Many consider this overkill, but if an install goes wrong I can quickly pop the CD into another computer and verify the CD is still 100%, which is one less thing to worry about.

Of course to be 100% certain you test the CD with the CD-ROM you will be using durring the install.