Sign in with
Your question

DRM and You!

Last response: in Video Games

Will you boycott software if you know it has DRM like Bioshock?

Total: 0 vote

• Yes
  • 0 %
  • No
  • 0 %
  • I play console games.
  • 0 %
August 31, 2007 3:18:00 PM

PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING!

Major negatives concerning DRM combined with Bioshock on PC:

You can only install the game on 5 computers at one time. (Before the fix it was 2!)
You can only reinstall the game 5 times on one computer before that computer needs a new copy of the game.
(2K Games calls it the 5 by 5.)

Now you may think, well 5 max installs isn't so bad. I'll let you in on a little secret...it is! Until I read the forums here I didn't even know there was an installation limit on each machine.

I personally own 3 computers that can run Bioshock on high settings. All 3 of them have legit copys of Windows XP with zero pirated games in my house.

I built my most recent computer the weekend Bioshock was released. At first I installed Windows Vista to see how DirectX 10 performed and the OS as a whole. Bioshock ran fine and looked nice. After the first day the control panel and everything linked to it stopped working on Vista. No big deal I'll just install Windows XP.

After installing XP I now have 3 more installs on this one computer before I can never play the game again.

If a driver / DirectX update corrupts the game I might have to reinstall the game again. #3
If a virus or spyware gets past my registered copy of AVG anti-virus / spyware and reformat. #4
If I decide to casually reformat my hard drive to install Vista once they fix it. #5

After that the party is over.

There is nothing positive to argue about these facts, if you do you will be shot down. This will not prevent or even stop piracy, the game is already cracked and all legit copies have to deal with this.

More about : drm

August 31, 2007 3:45:52 PM

Two reasons why I bought it on steam.

1) I want to do as much business with digital distribution so these publishers move away from hard copies of games. This leads to less piracy. You also can't "scratch" a steam account.

2) Now I don't have to worry about all that

Anyone who hasn't bought bioshock yet go buy it on steam.

Edit: I wouldn't boycott the software, I say boycott the publisher.
August 31, 2007 7:19:17 PM

ummm..., its pretty hard to boycott the publisher without boycotting the software
Related resources
September 1, 2007 3:07:00 AM

Boycott them all. It was an underhanded business decision and the people at 2k made the game. The can tell whoever whatever they want regarding the distribution. They made this call because the delegated the duty to the publisher.

This is 2k's fault. No one else's. You argument sounds like a Sony argument. It wasn't our fault. We didn't know what the DRM that the 3rd party company created was going to do. HORSE**** They knew the entire time. Thats why they have classified documents and believe me I'm sure 2k has their own.
September 1, 2007 8:11:48 AM

The really really wrong thing about this is:
2K games act like there the god of videogames... you have to pay to get a glimp of their game... if you screw it up, they forbid you to play it again until you buy their game again :S

They should be happy if we buy their game...
September 1, 2007 8:21:10 AM

You're exactly right, they should treat us right. Remember the old maxim: Never bite the hand that feeds. We are the hands that feed. Without us, 2k doesn't get paid.
September 1, 2007 3:05:28 PM

Ok, i don't know anything really about this 5 installs on one machine except what i've read here.
I'd not buy any game with an install limit for one machine like i understand it to be and i don't plan on buying any game that i don't get a hard copy. I don't know about any of you but we still play some games from years ago, for example C$C series, re-volt, settlers etc etc and will be playing them now and again for a few years to come. I can't see that happening with any of this 5 installs and it's a coaster deals or the download to drive.
Sooner or later some of them companies are going to go out of business. For the older games that they no longer making $ off there will be no support for the verify your install. I can't see any business thats about to go out of business bothering to do a patch to fix this issue. The publisher will be blaming the developer and the developer blaming the publisher. Bottom line will be having to resort to a pirated copy to use your bought game.
As for starforce etc i hate it all, it always stops some other app from working especially if you use a virtual drive to save your discs from child abuse.
As far as all the DRM issues go the people who get all the hassle from it are those who actualy buy the stuff. It's gotten better but with them wanting to stiffle fair usage i can see it helping to turn more people to pirated content especially in music, it's no wonder companies are now starting to offer content without DRM. They get more sales
September 1, 2007 3:35:43 PM

Well I have MS and seven computers. Why so many. So I can play where ever I am and don't have to move or be moved to do what I want to do.

So I will not buy DRM or Bioshock for these reasons. They are not fair to the disabled. :bounce: 
September 2, 2007 4:35:44 PM

I'm a long time gamer.

I use to be a PC gamer and I disliked consoles. Simply because those games ran better on the PC with better graphics usally.

Now; I prefer consoles than PC games. With xbox 360, PS3, and the WII, games now look and run better than any PC game. In the long run consoles are cheaper on top of that. Video cards are too expensive.

With that said ... with this DRM being added to pc games it just KILLS pc gaming. It's the slamming blow the knock out punch to pc gaming. PC gaming was already on its knees before this DRM.

People hate DRM naturally to begin with. This just adds to the PC gamings death. Give me a reason to buy a PC game with DRM vs a console game that just works. I don't have to worry about not being able to play it after awhile.

If this continues I see consoles being the primary gaming systems and PC's being HD multimedia computers.

just my opinion

pokey10002 said:
PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING!

Major negatives concerning DRM combined with Bioshock on PC:

You can only install the game on 5 computers at one time. (Before the fix it was 2!)
You can only reinstall the game 5 times on one computer before that computer needs a new copy of the game.
(2K Games calls it the 5 by 5.)

Now you may think, well 5 max installs isn't so bad. I'll let you in on a little secret...it is! Until I read the forums here I didn't even know there was an installation limit on each machine.

I personally own 3 computers that can run Bioshock on high settings. All 3 of them have legit copys of Windows XP with zero pirated games in my house.

I built my most recent computer the weekend Bioshock was released. At first I installed Windows Vista to see how DirectX 10 performed and the OS as a whole. Bioshock ran fine and looked nice. After the first day the control panel and everything linked to it stopped working on Vista. No big deal I'll just install Windows XP.

After installing XP I now have 3 more installs on this one computer before I can never play the game again.

If a driver / DirectX update corrupts the game I might have to reinstall the game again. #3
If a virus or spyware gets past my registered copy of AVG anti-virus / spyware and reformat. #4
If I decide to casually reformat my hard drive to install Vista once they fix it. #5

After that the party is over.

There is nothing positive to argue about these facts, if you do you will be shot down. This will not prevent or even stop piracy, the game is already cracked and all legit copies have to deal with this.
September 5, 2007 2:31:17 AM

how does it work?

From what some people are saying, formatting and reinstalling the game will have no effect on your install limit. The only issue I could see is if they limited the amount of installs to the web based account information. Ie when you install you have to submit the account via the web. You would have to do that each time until the 5th time it says no.
!