OEM Windows XP Pro

I have recently purchased Windows XP Pro OEM from a third party retailer
(http://www.qualityoemsoft.biz/). After installing it I found the product id
to be xxxxx-640-xxxxxxx-xxxxx, but I expected xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx. Was I
scammed into purchasing a bogus copy of windows ? I really want a legit copy.

Greetings --

Actually, if you had read that site's self-contradictory, broken
English "FAQ," you'd probably have known it was a scam.

Full OEM CDs that are full retail versions that are legal as
backup media? Shipped from Eastern Europe? Definitely not
legitimate CDs.

That is definitely _not_ an OEM license. That is one of the
well-known "leaked/pirated" Volume License Product IDs. See this
article for details:

The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

You'll need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy of
WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
using the new CD and Product Key, if you wish to continue using WinXP.

Remember, you should also report whomever sold you the pirated
software to the pertinent law enforcement agencies; you've been
defrauded.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"tidus1" <tidus1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently purchased Windows XP Pro OEM from a third party
>retailer
> (http://www.qualityoemsoft.biz/). After installing it I found the
> product id
> to be xxxxx-640-xxxxxxx-xxxxx, but I expected
> xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx. Was I
> scammed into purchasing a bogus copy of windows ? I really want a
> legit copy.

Greetings --

Oh, I forgot to mention.... You should also immediately contact
your financial institution to get them to stop payment on this
particular purchase, if it's not too late, and -- most importantly --
to cancel the card used and get a new card with a new account number.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

> Greetings --
>
> Actually, if you had read that site's self-contradictory, broken
> English "FAQ," you'd probably have known it was a scam.
>
> Full OEM CDs that are full retail versions that are legal as
> backup media? Shipped from Eastern Europe? Definitely not
> legitimate CDs.
>
> That is definitely _not_ an OEM license. That is one of the
> well-known "leaked/pirated" Volume License Product IDs. See this
> article for details:
>
> The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904
>
> You'll need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy
> of WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade)
> installation, using the new CD and Product Key, if you wish to
> continue using WinXP.
>
> How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341
>
> Remember, you should also report whomever sold you the pirated
> software to the pertinent law enforcement agencies; you've been
> defrauded.
>

> Bruce Chambers
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. - RAH
>

> "tidus1" <tidus1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have recently purchased Windows XP Pro OEM from a third party
>>retailer
>> (http://www.qualityoemsoft.biz/). After installing it I found the
>> product id
>> to be xxxxx-640-xxxxxxx-xxxxx, but I expected
>> xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx. Was I
>> scammed into purchasing a bogus copy of windows ? I really want a
>> legit copy.

Probably, check here:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/default.mspx

If it is invalid, contact the seller IMMEDIATELY.
Also contact Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]