A7M266 Beep problem, /me going crazy

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
I put this system togeather over a year ago, thanks in part to THG, it has running fine sense then. Yesterday i opened up the case for a dust cleaning i thought it wa due for... so i took of the CPU HS and took it outside and sprayed all of the dust off of it. I also took out the CPU (athlon 1.2) and cleaned all of the AC2 off of it. I put some AC2 back on, and stuck the HS back on, put the memory i had taken out (was blocking the HS clip) back in, power on, and was getting beep errors. I checked the memory was in all the way, which it was, Rebooted, same errors. I looked up the errors in my mobo manual, and they listened them as either Broken or Miseated DRAM or Overheated CPU resulting in the system running at a lower clock speed.

Today i took my ram down to a local shop, and asked them to test my DIMM, they did, and they said it worked fine. I cannot figure out why i get this horribly annoying beep. I plan on calling ASUS tech support as soon as i can. I would like any ideas anyone has about this problem.

For now, i'm stuck on the machine i use for listening to streaming radio, a pentium 100mhz with 32mb of ram. HELP!!

<font color=green>I can draw tyte give me the damn crayon!</font color=green>

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
the same tone, over and over and over again for the same length

<font color=green>I can draw tyte give me the damn crayon!</font color=green>

Bahumut

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
Put your ram in a different slot. The slot itself might be broken. Check your HSF to see if it's seated properly. If the problems persists, take off the HSF.
Check to see if the HSF crushed the processor.
Check to see if some AC2 is anywhere other than the die.
Check to see if the layer of AC2 on the die is too thick. Thick thermal grease can cause overheating.
Check the board itself for any trace of AC2.
If these don't work, reply and I'll check back later.

Pain is the realization of your own weakness.