Get "Not Responding" on Internet Options

When I make a change to Internet "Options", for example adding a site in the
Security / Trusted Sites tabs, When I go to apply or click "Ok" it locks up
on me and then I get "Not Responding" message. What happenned? Can I
reinstall IE? It is very frustrating.
6 answers Last reply
More about responding internet options

    Internet Options is a part of Internet Explorer, so problems
    caused by hijacker trojans do affect Internet Options... that
    is most likely just another symptom to add to the list
    install the usual spyware removers and see if that will
    solve that issue and post any result so we may learn
    from your experience.

    The first two should do it, if it does not, install the next three.

    Spybot Search and Destroy (Free)
    http://www.safer-networking.net/

    Lavasoft AdAware (Free)
    http://www.lavasoft.de

    CWSShredder (Free)

    Hijack This (Free)
    http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    ( Tutorial: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html )

    SpywareBlaster (Free)
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    IE-SPYAD (Free)
    http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

    ToolbarCop (Free)
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

    Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free)
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html

    Browser Security Tests
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

    > When I make a change to Internet "Options", for example adding a site in
    the
    > Security / Trusted Sites tabs, When I go to apply or click "Ok" it locks
    up
    > on me and then I get "Not Responding" message. What happenned? Can I
    > reinstall IE? It is very frustrating.

    Hi Juan, Thank you for your input, most helpful. I ran the "Spybot S&D" and
    found over 20 items.
    I removed them and one came back over and over again... DSO Exploit keeps
    coming back. I try to remove (using Spybot S&D) but it keeps coming back.

    The Internet Options problem I had seem to be ok for the moment. Again
    Thanks.

    Greg

    "Juan" wrote:

    > Internet Options is a part of Internet Explorer, so problems
    > caused by hijacker trojans do affect Internet Options... that
    > is most likely just another symptom to add to the list
    > install the usual spyware removers and see if that will
    > solve that issue and post any result so we may learn
    > from your experience.
    >
    > The first two should do it, if it does not, install the next three.
    >
    > Spybot Search and Destroy (Free)
    > http://www.safer-networking.net/
    >
    > Lavasoft AdAware (Free)
    > http://www.lavasoft.de
    >
    > CWSShredder (Free)
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    >
    > Hijack This (Free)
    > http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    > ( Tutorial: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html )
    >
    > SpywareBlaster (Free)
    > http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/
    >
    > IE-SPYAD (Free)
    > http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm
    >
    > ToolbarCop (Free)
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm
    >
    > Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free)
    > http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
    >
    > Browser Security Tests
    > http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

    Try http://www.nsclean.com/dsostop.html to get rid of DSO Exploit.
    Haven't tried it myself as I don't use IE. Since swithcing to Mozilla all my
    spyware problems have gone away.

    John

    "Greg_I" <GregI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Juan, Thank you for your input, most helpful. I ran the "Spybot S&D"
    > and
    > found over 20 items.
    > I removed them and one came back over and over again... DSO Exploit keeps
    > coming back. I try to remove (using Spybot S&D) but it keeps coming back.

    Thanks John,

    I did download this program & installed it. I don't appear to have any
    problems, but when I re-run Spybot S&D the DSO Ecploit shows up again.

    Greg

    "John Rampling" wrote:

    > Try http://www.nsclean.com/dsostop.html to get rid of DSO Exploit.
    > Haven't tried it myself as I don't use IE. Since swithcing to Mozilla all my
    > spyware problems have gone away.
    >
    > John
    >
    > "Greg_I" <GregI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Juan, Thank you for your input, most helpful. I ran the "Spybot S&D"
    > > and
    > > found over 20 items.
    > > I removed them and one came back over and over again... DSO Exploit keeps
    > > coming back. I try to remove (using Spybot S&D) but it keeps coming back.

    Hi Greg:

    The DSO Exploit is a stubborn parasite.. it keeps comming back again and
    again.If my memory serves me right, I solved it by changing the registry key
    entry it creates.. How to do it; In Spybot, go to Mode menu and change it to
    Advanced Mode.. At the end of the scan, right click on the DSO Exploit and
    select\More details\jump to location\change the key value to 0 (zero) then
    Spybot should do that, nevertheless it worked for me. I have the DSO Exploit
    registered in Statistics as found five times and repaired twelve times, (in
    Info & licence\Statistics) the last time was the 30th of July.. I guess I
    gave Spybot a "helping hand" if I may say so.

    Also go to Tools\Resident\and check on SD Helper and Tea Timer so Spybot
    will intercept parasites as they try to infect your computer, and to protect
    your computer from configuration changes parasites make. Also click on
    Immunize to protect your computer from malicious web sites... Repeat it once
    in a while particularly after you have updated Spybot S&D... (this action
    adds malicious web sites to the Restricted Sites list in Internet
    Options\Security....

    > I did download this program & installed it. I don't appear to have any
    > problems, but when I re-run Spybot S&D the DSO Ecploit shows up again.
    >
    > Greg
    >
    > "John Rampling" wrote:
    >
    > > Try http://www.nsclean.com/dsostop.html to get rid of DSO Exploit.
    > > Haven't tried it myself as I don't use IE. Since swithcing to Mozilla
    all my
    > > spyware problems have gone away.
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > "Greg_I" <GregI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Juan, Thank you for your input, most helpful. I ran the "Spybot
    S&D"
    > > > and
    > > > found over 20 items.
    > > > I removed them and one came back over and over again... DSO Exploit
    keeps
    > > > coming back. I try to remove (using Spybot S&D) but it keeps coming
    back.

    Hi again Juan,

    Thanks for all your help. I no longer have the DSO Exploit problem.

    Greg

    "Juan" wrote:

    > Hi Greg:
    >
    > The DSO Exploit is a stubborn parasite.. it keeps comming back again and
    > again.If my memory serves me right, I solved it by changing the registry key
    > entry it creates.. How to do it; In Spybot, go to Mode menu and change it to
    > Advanced Mode.. At the end of the scan, right click on the DSO Exploit and
    > select\More details\jump to location\change the key value to 0 (zero) then
    > Spybot should do that, nevertheless it worked for me. I have the DSO Exploit
    > registered in Statistics as found five times and repaired twelve times, (in
    > Info & licence\Statistics) the last time was the 30th of July.. I guess I
    > gave Spybot a "helping hand" if I may say so.
    >
    > Also go to Tools\Resident\and check on SD Helper and Tea Timer so Spybot
    > will intercept parasites as they try to infect your computer, and to protect
    > your computer from configuration changes parasites make. Also click on
    > Immunize to protect your computer from malicious web sites... Repeat it once
    > in a while particularly after you have updated Spybot S&D... (this action
    > adds malicious web sites to the Restricted Sites list in Internet
    > Options\Security....

Internet Explorer Microsoft Internet Windows XP