Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Get "Not Responding" on Internet Options

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:27:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

When I make a change to Internet "Options", for example adding a site in the
Security / Trusted Sites tabs, When I go to apply or click "Ok" it locks up
on me and then I get "Not Responding" message. What happenned? Can I
reinstall IE? It is very frustrating.
August 19, 2004 5:54:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Internet Options is a part of Internet Explorer, so problems
caused by hijacker trojans do affect Internet Options... that
is most likely just another symptom to add to the list
install the usual spyware removers and see if that will
solve that issue and post any result so we may learn
from your experience.

The first two should do it, if it does not, install the next three.

Spybot Search and Destroy (Free)
http://www.safer-networking.net/

Lavasoft AdAware (Free)
http://www.lavasoft.de

CWSShredder (Free)
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Hijack This (Free)
http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
( Tutorial: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html )

SpywareBlaster (Free)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

IE-SPYAD (Free)
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

ToolbarCop (Free)
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free)
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html

Browser Security Tests
http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/



----------------Original Message-------------
"Greg_I" <Greg_I@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:1D2F2B27-9ABE-44FC-8CC0-B7E7C6843FE3@microsoft.com...
> When I make a change to Internet "Options", for example adding a site in
the
> Security / Trusted Sites tabs, When I go to apply or click "Ok" it locks
up
> on me and then I get "Not Responding" message. What happenned? Can I
> reinstall IE? It is very frustrating.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 1:57:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi Juan, Thank you for your input, most helpful. I ran the "Spybot S&D" and
found over 20 items.
I removed them and one came back over and over again... DSO Exploit keeps
coming back. I try to remove (using Spybot S&D) but it keeps coming back.

The Internet Options problem I had seem to be ok for the moment. Again
Thanks.

Greg


"Juan" wrote:

> Internet Options is a part of Internet Explorer, so problems
> caused by hijacker trojans do affect Internet Options... that
> is most likely just another symptom to add to the list
> install the usual spyware removers and see if that will
> solve that issue and post any result so we may learn
> from your experience.
>
> The first two should do it, if it does not, install the next three.
>
> Spybot Search and Destroy (Free)
> http://www.safer-networking.net/
>
> Lavasoft AdAware (Free)
> http://www.lavasoft.de
>
> CWSShredder (Free)
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
>
> Hijack This (Free)
> http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
> ( Tutorial: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html )
>
> SpywareBlaster (Free)
> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/
>
> IE-SPYAD (Free)
> http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm
>
> ToolbarCop (Free)
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm
>
> Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free)
> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
>
> Browser Security Tests
> http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
>
>
>
> ----------------Original Message-------------
> "Greg_I" <Greg_I@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
> news:1D2F2B27-9ABE-44FC-8CC0-B7E7C6843FE3@microsoft.com...
> > When I make a change to Internet "Options", for example adding a site in
> the
> > Security / Trusted Sites tabs, When I go to apply or click "Ok" it locks
> up
> > on me and then I get "Not Responding" message. What happenned? Can I
> > reinstall IE? It is very frustrating.
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 11:45:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Try http://www.nsclean.com/dsostop.html to get rid of DSO Exploit.
Haven't tried it myself as I don't use IE. Since swithcing to Mozilla all my
spyware problems have gone away.

John

"Greg_I" <GregI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F6CAA060-D2F4-4D2E-91D3-B1C4252EA678@microsoft.com...
> Hi Juan, Thank you for your input, most helpful. I ran the "Spybot S&D"
> and
> found over 20 items.
> I removed them and one came back over and over again... DSO Exploit keeps
> coming back. I try to remove (using Spybot S&D) but it keeps coming back.
>
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 11:46:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks John,

I did download this program & installed it. I don't appear to have any
problems, but when I re-run Spybot S&D the DSO Ecploit shows up again.

Greg

"John Rampling" wrote:

> Try http://www.nsclean.com/dsostop.html to get rid of DSO Exploit.
> Haven't tried it myself as I don't use IE. Since swithcing to Mozilla all my
> spyware problems have gone away.
>
> John
>
> "Greg_I" <GregI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F6CAA060-D2F4-4D2E-91D3-B1C4252EA678@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Juan, Thank you for your input, most helpful. I ran the "Spybot S&D"
> > and
> > found over 20 items.
> > I removed them and one came back over and over again... DSO Exploit keeps
> > coming back. I try to remove (using Spybot S&D) but it keeps coming back.
> >
>
>
>
August 20, 2004 12:11:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi Greg:

The DSO Exploit is a stubborn parasite.. it keeps comming back again and
again.If my memory serves me right, I solved it by changing the registry key
entry it creates.. How to do it; In Spybot, go to Mode menu and change it to
Advanced Mode.. At the end of the scan, right click on the DSO Exploit and
select\More details\jump to location\change the key value to 0 (zero) then
go back and click on Solve the Problem. This seems rather illogical because
Spybot should do that, nevertheless it worked for me. I have the DSO Exploit
registered in Statistics as found five times and repaired twelve times, (in
Info & licence\Statistics) the last time was the 30th of July.. I guess I
gave Spybot a "helping hand" if I may say so.

Also go to Tools\Resident\and check on SD Helper and Tea Timer so Spybot
will intercept parasites as they try to infect your computer, and to protect
your computer from configuration changes parasites make. Also click on
Immunize to protect your computer from malicious web sites... Repeat it once
in a while particularly after you have updated Spybot S&D... (this action
adds malicious web sites to the Restricted Sites list in Internet
Options\Security....

------------------Original Message--------------------------

"Greg_I" <GregI@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:75B5B2A3-86FC-4AB6-96C6-77D73451AA0D@microsoft.com...

> Thanks John,
>
> I did download this program & installed it. I don't appear to have any
> problems, but when I re-run Spybot S&D the DSO Ecploit shows up again.
>
> Greg
>
> "John Rampling" wrote:
>
> > Try http://www.nsclean.com/dsostop.html to get rid of DSO Exploit.
> > Haven't tried it myself as I don't use IE. Since swithcing to Mozilla
all my
> > spyware problems have gone away.
> >
> > John
> >
> > "Greg_I" <GregI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:F6CAA060-D2F4-4D2E-91D3-B1C4252EA678@microsoft.com...
> > > Hi Juan, Thank you for your input, most helpful. I ran the "Spybot
S&D"
> > > and
> > > found over 20 items.
> > > I removed them and one came back over and over again... DSO Exploit
keeps
> > > coming back. I try to remove (using Spybot S&D) but it keeps coming
back.
> > >
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 3:31:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi again Juan,

Thanks for all your help. I no longer have the DSO Exploit problem.

Greg

"Juan" wrote:

> Hi Greg:
>
> The DSO Exploit is a stubborn parasite.. it keeps comming back again and
> again.If my memory serves me right, I solved it by changing the registry key
> entry it creates.. How to do it; In Spybot, go to Mode menu and change it to
> Advanced Mode.. At the end of the scan, right click on the DSO Exploit and
> select\More details\jump to location\change the key value to 0 (zero) then
> go back and click on Solve the Problem. This seems rather illogical because
> Spybot should do that, nevertheless it worked for me. I have the DSO Exploit
> registered in Statistics as found five times and repaired twelve times, (in
> Info & licence\Statistics) the last time was the 30th of July.. I guess I
> gave Spybot a "helping hand" if I may say so.
>
> Also go to Tools\Resident\and check on SD Helper and Tea Timer so Spybot
> will intercept parasites as they try to infect your computer, and to protect
> your computer from configuration changes parasites make. Also click on
> Immunize to protect your computer from malicious web sites... Repeat it once
> in a while particularly after you have updated Spybot S&D... (this action
> adds malicious web sites to the Restricted Sites list in Internet
> Options\Security....
>
> ------------------Original Message--------------------------
>
> "Greg_I" <GregI@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
> news:75B5B2A3-86FC-4AB6-96C6-77D73451AA0D@microsoft.com...
>
> > Thanks John,
> >
> > I did download this program & installed it. I don't appear to have any
> > problems, but when I re-run Spybot S&D the DSO Ecploit shows up again.
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > "John Rampling" wrote:
> >
> > > Try http://www.nsclean.com/dsostop.html to get rid of DSO Exploit.
> > > Haven't tried it myself as I don't use IE. Since swithcing to Mozilla
> all my
> > > spyware problems have gone away.
> > >
> > > John
> > >
> > > "Greg_I" <GregI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:F6CAA060-D2F4-4D2E-91D3-B1C4252EA678@microsoft.com...
> > > > Hi Juan, Thank you for your input, most helpful. I ran the "Spybot
> S&D"
> > > > and
> > > > found over 20 items.
> > > > I removed them and one came back over and over again... DSO Exploit
> keeps
> > > > coming back. I try to remove (using Spybot S&D) but it keeps coming
> back.
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
>
>
>
>
!