How to go from wireless back to wired network?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi,

I have an 802g network in my house. But I have some
networking needs for devices that can't do WiFi, but
do have Ethernet ports.

So my question - does anyone make a wireless receiver
that has as its output a 4 port hardwired switch that will
create a 'wireless bridge' to my network?

Thanks

Dave
devarim at hotmail dot com

"Dave" <Devarim@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I have an 802g network in my house. But I have some
> networking needs for devices that can't do WiFi, but
> do have Ethernet ports.
>
> So my question - does anyone make a wireless receiver
> that has as its output a 4 port hardwired switch that will
> create a 'wireless bridge' to my network?

I recently purchased WatchGuard FW appliances (all wired). I also had a
Linksys BEFW11S4 router that is wireless with a four port switch, which I
configured the 11S4 to be a switch and connected to the WG. The 11S4 *B
series* can have a wireless computer or wired computer using the 11S4 and
computers connected to the WG or 11S4 can access each other on the LAN
and all can access the Internet. The WG is the gateway device.

So what kind of equipment do you have in place?

Duane :)

"JR" <bloon@telstra.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I am using an Alcatel 570 Wireless modem which has one ethernet port
> on the rear of it. I have that connected via a crossover cable to a
> switch/hub and my non wireless computers and print server are also
> connected to the hub.

The Alcatel 570 Wireless/wired is modem/router. What is the wired port on
the Alcatel a WAN or LAN port?

You can get a G series router from Linksys, D-Link, Netgear or Belkin
that is a wireless/wired 4 port Access Point Switch. Most wireless/wired
routers in that class have a built in switch.

Duane :)

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 16:32:32 GMT, "Dave" <Devarim@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an 802g network in my house. But I have some
>networking needs for devices that can't do WiFi, but
>do have Ethernet ports.
>
>So my question - does anyone make a wireless receiver
>that has as its output a 4 port hardwired switch that will
>create a 'wireless bridge' to my network?

Maybe I am missing something but why cant you just buy a Wireless
access point with a 4 port Ethernet switch ?
That way you can accomodate as many Wireless clients as you want and 4
Ethernet clients via the Ethernet ports on the back of the switch,

These Wireless Access Points are by definition bridges between the
Wired and the Wireless networks.

<sam1967@hetnet.nl> wrote in message
> On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 16:32:32 GMT, "Dave" <Devarim@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have an 802g network in my house. But I have some
> >networking needs for devices that can't do WiFi, but
> >do have Ethernet ports.
> >
> >So my question - does anyone make a wireless receiver
> >that has as its output a 4 port hardwired switch that will
> >create a 'wireless bridge' to my network?
> >
> Maybe I am missing something but why cant you just buy a Wireless
> access point with a 4 port Ethernet switch ?
> That way you can accomodate as many Wireless clients as you want and 4
> Ethernet clients via the Ethernet ports on the back of the switch,
>
> These Wireless Access Points are by definition bridges between the
> Wired and the Wireless networks.

The OP is trying to wirelessly bridge two wired LANs. You need a wireless
bridge. Because there is not yet a standard in place for doing this, you
should use a bridge that is the same brand as your router. You neglected to
say what the make and mode is. We could be more specific if you had.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.