muc0n

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
What is the default program used to open file folders? Under tools->folder options->file types, when i select file folders and go to advanced the only thing in the white box is find. Now everytime i double click a folder the find window opens. Ive tried using explorer but then all the folders open in separate windows, which is annoying. Is there any other program used to open folders other than explorer, that might open a folder? Thanks for any help.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Open Explorer, click on Tools / Folder Options / the View tab / go down the list until you reach 'Launch folder windows in a separate process' and uncheck the box.

<font color=green>===</font color=green> Never assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>====</font color=green>

muc0n

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
I have tried it with that box both checked and unchecked multiple times and it changes nothing. I also tried a registry tweak to get the folders opened in the same windows. None of those things worked.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Well, I'm stumped. It must be something getting in the way with a contradictory setting. I checked my own system (which works just fine) and 'find' was listed, but nothing else you'd have loaded. The default program is Windows Explorer. Even the new 'Set program access and defaults' doesn't mess with it.

<font color=green>===</font color=green> Never assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>====</font color=green>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peartree on 05/11/04 12:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

muc0n

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
Yeah, im stomped too. I havent even installed or changed anything to cause this. Just came out of no where. Thanks for the help.