What is the BEST Chipset for P4???

boogiemon

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
I just purchased the SiS 648 chipset. I am waiting for my DDR 333 - right now I am running DDR 266. I have read that the SiS 648 has trouble running DDR 333. I am consdering the P4PE chipset or the 845G.

Please reply with your experiences with different chipsets (please keep it to chipsets, not motherboards). Please give reasons why you prefer 1 chipset over another. Please list problems that you have had with a chipset. I would like focus to stay on quality, not speed. Benchmarks are meaningless if the chipset is unstable.

Thanks

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
What board do u have? The SiS 648 should be able to run DDR 400 without any trouble. If u throw in some Corsair PC-3200 Cas 2.0 u will have one of the best setups out there. There will be no major difference with that and an 850E PC-1066 setup, unless u overclock.

I seriously considered using the 648 but switched to the 850E at the last second. They are both awesome chipsets and u shouldn't have any problems besides the AGP 8X problem with the Radeon 9700 PRO; and this is only with certain boards, not all the chipsets are affected.

Your board should easily run DDR 333. U also should have a stable setup and not have any huge problems.

boogiemon

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
The board I currently have is the Asus P4S8X. You can do a bio update that allows you to run DDR 333 stabily. But this bios update cuts the performance in half.

http://asusboards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25842

As for the Radeon 9700 pro running on any chipset that has AGP 8x - currently this is a huge problem for this graphics card. The only way around it is if you have a Radeon 9700 with bios version 1.03 - otherwise, if you have a board with bios version 1.01, you have to send the board back to ATI so that they can send you a new one. Kind of inconvienent.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just switched from the IT7 to the P4PE, the IT7 was the best board I ever owned, unreal stability at high speed (3.2Ghz), the new P4PE has let me run at a slightly higher cruising speed of 3.4Ghz with more aggresive memory timing.

The P4PE has more overclocking features in BIOS, 1Mhz adjustment to AGP/PCI, More memory timing adjustment, better sound onboard, gigabit etherernet port, overvolts by default and settable up to 1.85v. vmem up to 1.9v, AGPv up to 1.7v.

Correct CPU temps is also a plus. It was hard to find a better board than the IT7. but the Asus P4PE is proving to be the better board.

Everything else is junk.

<A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/346ghz.jpg" target="_new">3.46Ghz Sandra</A> PR3800

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.