linksys wireless internet video (WVC11B) unable to email

Greetings,

I would appreciate some advice on setting up my WVC11B to correctly email
when motion detected.

I believe it is becuase I have set up my DNS/Gateway incorrectly. I am
using a Linksys wireless router
as well.

I get a "Send E-mail error."

I have one IP address for the default gateway/DNS on the status page of the
router, yet an ipconfig
returns a different gateway/DNS server on my home computer. I've tried
both. Linksys support has been
no help, can someone suffer me a networking tutorial. I am using the
smtpauth.earthlink.net SMTP
to send to, although I have tried alternatives.

Please respond via email in addition to posting.
Regards
Todd Deckard
2 answers Last reply
More about linksys wireless internet video wvc11b unable email

    "Todd W. Deckard" <twdeckard@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I would appreciate some advice on setting up my WVC11B to correctly email
    > when motion detected.
    >
    > I believe it is becuase I have set up my DNS/Gateway incorrectly. I am
    > using a Linksys wireless router
    > as well.
    >
    > I get a "Send E-mail error."
    >
    > I have one IP address for the default gateway/DNS on the status page of
    the
    > router, yet an ipconfig
    > returns a different gateway/DNS server on my home computer. I've tried
    > both. Linksys support has been
    > no help, can someone suffer me a networking tutorial. I am using the
    > smtpauth.earthlink.net SMTP
    > to send to, although I have tried alternatives.
    >
    > Please respond via email in addition to posting.
    > Regards
    > Todd Deckard

    For any IP host (including computers, wireless vidcams, and even routers)
    the host's Default Gateway address is the address of a router on the same
    network as the host. That router should be between your host and the
    Internet (even if not connected directly to the Internet). So for your
    computer and for your IP vidcam, the Default Gateway address should be your
    router's LAN address. The router needs a default gateway to route its
    traffic toward the Internet too. Your router's Default Gateway address is
    the address of your ISP's router that is on the same network (link) as your
    router's WAN adapter.

    In both cases, a protocol called Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
    is used to assign to a host an IP address that the host can call its own, a
    subnet mask (which helps a host determine if other hosts are on the same
    network or not), a Default Gateway address, and other optional information
    such as DNS Server addresses.

    The ISP runs a DHCP server on the network that connects to your router.
    Your router runs a DHCP client on its WAN adapter to accept assignments from
    the ISP's DHCP server.

    Your router runs a DHCP server on its LAN adapter to make assignments to
    your hosts. Your hosts (computer and IP vidcam) run DHCP clients to accept
    assignments.

    Default Gateways must be on the same network as the hosts they serve. There
    is no such requirement for DNS servers. Some home routers pass on to their
    LAN hosts the same DNS server assignment that they get from the ISP. Other
    home routers assign their own LAN address as the DNS server address for LAN
    hosts, and then they just pass DNS messages through to the ISP's DNS
    servers.

    So, your hosts cannot use the same Default Gateway address that your router
    uses, because the ISP's Default Gateway is not on your LAN. The hosts
    should use your router's LAN address as the DG address. If your router
    isn't properly assigning DNS server addresses to your LAN hosts, then you
    should set them to the same addresses that the ISP assigned as DNS servers
    to your router's WAN adapter. That way you don't need to worry whether your
    router knows how to relay DNS messages. It will simply route them as
    ordinary IP packets, without identifying them as DNS messages.

    HTH.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
  2. I couldn't digest that last post. Am I the only one? I have the same problem as the original author. I'm trying to get my email notification function to work with my Linksys WVC11B web cam to work with my Netgear WGR614V5 router. Motion sensing works fine, but email notification doesn't, with "send e-mail error" in the log every time... I've tried everything, using my ISP's SMTP, both as an IP address and as letters, I've tried using gmail's SMTP, nothing works...

    Has anyone had any success with email notification with the WVC11B?

Linksys Email Wireless Internet Wireless Networking