Sign in with
Your question

Need a Joystick

Last response: in Video Games
September 5, 2007 1:05:04 PM

I started playing BF2 after watch a friend this weekend, and I want to buy a joystick to fly the planes. The thing is I have never even looked into this before and have no clue what is good.

Can anyone suggest a good one to buy that doesnt cost that much ~ $25

Thanks for the Help!

More about : joystick

September 5, 2007 5:18:20 PM

I like the Cyborg sticks because they're adjustable. Being both left-handed and having big hands, I find it hard to find sticks that are comfortable.
September 5, 2007 5:52:16 PM

nickc07 said:
I started playing BF2 after watch a friend this weekend, and I want to buy a joystick to fly the planes. The thing is I have never even looked into this before and have no clue what is good.

Can anyone suggest a good one to buy that doesnt cost that much ~ $25

Thanks for the Help!

Check out this article on the Death of the Joystick. Travis mentions a couple options that are still being made.

http://www.twitchguru.com/2007/05/10/the_death_of_the_joystick/
Related resources
September 7, 2007 10:10:26 AM

It's absolutely not necessary to fly those planes in BF2 with a joystick. It is so hard arcade that it's just not worth it. And I really would bet a lot that you are better off with a mouse. If you want to have a good flying experience with a joystick get X-Plane and the Saitek stick.
September 7, 2007 1:11:49 PM

aziraphale said:
It's absolutely not necessary to fly those planes in BF2 with a joystick. It is so hard arcade that it's just not worth it. And I really would bet a lot that you are better off with a mouse. If you want to have a good flying experience with a joystick get X-Plane and the Saitek stick.

The thing is I have never played anything with flying in it. But I tried with KB/Mouse and having a really hard time. Maybe I just need to join a dead server and practice alot and tweak my flying controls.
September 7, 2007 1:57:26 PM

Take it from me; it's much easier with the mouse in this game; and I'm a big flight sim fanatic. You just have to adjust the controls correctly. And for the practice; download the server client, run it and then join your own customized lan game with a flight map.
September 8, 2007 1:24:18 AM

I actually use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and trackball for all FPS games. To me it's just more fun than using the keyboard and mouse, and since I spend long hours at work with the keyboard and mouse (digitizer puck, actually) the change helps prevent carpal tunnel problems. That said, I like the Extreme 3D Pro very much. It's right hand only though, not adjustable, not particularly long-lived, and doesn't have a pinky button like my old Panther XL. It's a pretty good fit for my hand, medium with thick fingers. But if you get too excited you can break buttons or actually crack or break the plastic. Otherwise I get about a year out of them before the pots get too squirrelly to center, and I use mine probably six or eight hours a week average.
!