New XP computer crash

I was just putting together a network and still had the desktop showing. As
soon as I attached the crossover cable between the two computers NICS the
screen displays:
hardware malfunction
NMI Parity check/ memory parity error
***the system has halted***

Ctrl-alt-del has no effect cannot do anything
Dell XP system is one day old.
systems now separated, on old 95 system.

SUGGESTIOINS PLEASE leaving as is until I hear.
Mel S.
4 answers Last reply
More about computer crash

    Indicates nothing to do with the network..... but bad RAM (memory).

    On which PC are you getting this error.... let's hope it's the Dell which is
    obviously still under guarantee.
    --
    Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    www.coribright.com

    "Shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > I was just putting together a network and still had the desktop showing.
    As
    > soon as I attached the crossover cable between the two computers NICS the
    > screen displays:
    > hardware malfunction
    > NMI Parity check/ memory parity error
    > ***the system has halted***
    >
    > Ctrl-alt-del has no effect cannot do anything
    > Dell XP system is one day old.
    > systems now separated, on old 95 system.
    >
    > SUGGESTIOINS PLEASE leaving as is until I hear.
    > Mel S.

    Looking at Dell, it is the new Dell, groups now and see lots of this
    relating to NIC cards.
    For now my FIRST question is since how do I get out of this halted system?
    Ctrl-alt-del no help
    Power down????????
    Mel S.
    > Indicates nothing to do with the network..... but bad RAM (memory).
    >
    > On which PC are you getting this error.... let's hope it's the Dell which
    is
    > obviously still under guarantee.
    > --
    > Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > www.coribright.com
    >

    > "Shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > > I was just putting together a network and still had the desktop showing.
    > As
    > > soon as I attached the crossover cable between the two computers NICS
    the
    > > screen displays:
    > > hardware malfunction
    > > NMI Parity check/ memory parity error
    > > ***the system has halted***
    > >
    > > Ctrl-alt-del has no effect cannot do anything
    > > Dell XP system is one day old.
    > > systems now separated, on old 95 system.
    > >
    > > SUGGESTIOINS PLEASE leaving as is until I hear.
    > > Mel S.

    Call Dell's tech support. A one day old system should not have this happen.
    You are entitled to at least one year of tech support and parts, probably
    including on site support if needed.

    > Looking at Dell, it is the new Dell, groups now and see lots of this
    > relating to NIC cards.
    > For now my FIRST question is since how do I get out of this halted system?
    > Ctrl-alt-del no help
    > Power down????????
    > Mel S.
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > > Indicates nothing to do with the network..... but bad RAM (memory).
    > >
    > > On which PC are you getting this error.... let's hope it's the Dell
    which
    > is
    > > obviously still under guarantee.
    > > --
    > > Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > > www.coribright.com
    > >

    > > "Shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > > > I was just putting together a network and still had the desktop
    showing.
    > > As
    > > > soon as I attached the crossover cable between the two computers NICS
    > the
    > > > screen displays:
    > > > hardware malfunction
    > > > NMI Parity check/ memory parity error
    > > > ***the system has halted***
    > > >
    > > > Ctrl-alt-del has no effect cannot do anything
    > > > Dell XP system is one day old.
    > > > systems now separated, on old 95 system.
    > > >
    > > > SUGGESTIOINS PLEASE leaving as is until I hear.
    > > > Mel S.

    Sorry, too fast on the send button. If the NIC is Dells (came in the system
    it will definitely be their problem unless you have a defective crossover
    cable. If you have any way to check that I would do so before calling.
    Does the NIC show in device manager? In properties, does it indicate any
    error messages?

    "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > Call Dell's tech support. A one day old system should not have this
    happen.
    > You are entitled to at least one year of tech support and parts, probably
    > including on site support if needed.
    >

    > "Shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > > Looking at Dell, it is the new Dell, groups now and see lots of this
    > > relating to NIC cards.
    > > For now my FIRST question is since how do I get out of this halted
    system?
    > > Ctrl-alt-del no help
    > > Power down????????
    > > Mel S.
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > > > Indicates nothing to do with the network..... but bad RAM (memory).
    > > >
    > > > On which PC are you getting this error.... let's hope it's the Dell
    > which
    > > is
    > > > obviously still under guarantee.
    > > > --
    > > > Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > > > www.coribright.com
    > > >

    > > > "Shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > showing.
    > > > As