Bioshock freezes every 5-10 minutes

shadowtheweak

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I have a 8800 GTS and have downloaded the 163.44 nvidia beta drivers, but my game seems to keep freezing every 5 or ten minutes on average. usually the video will completely lock up, the sounds will keep go on for about 15 seconds after the video freezes, then it starts to stutter and completely freezes and i have to hit reset.

macadami

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
what kind of processor do u have, how much memory, and what kind of case cooling. Sounds like a heat issue, could be a few other things tho.

shadowtheweak

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I have an E4300 1.8 with an arctic freezer 7 pro. I only have a fan in the back of my case (it didn't come with a front fan). Do you think not having a front fan would affect my temps that much?

macadami

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
well that video card puts out a lot of heat, have you tried playing with the side of your case off? Without proper airflow that card can heat up other system components and cause them to fail even if the card itself is within normal operating temps. I'd download speedfan or another temperature monitor program and see where everything lies.

three0duster

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

I have the exact same problem with my 7900GT. I put my old 6800GT in and that stopped but ran equivalently crappier. I have a C2D 6320 @ 3ghz with 4gb Crucial Balistix ram. If you find any answers please share. But I did borrow my friends 8800 GTS 640 mb and it had no problems at all. So I believe the problem we are having is graphics card related. Be it drivers or hardware I do think it is the graphics card to blame and not any other piece of hardware. Ah yes, do you have your processor over clocked at all? Ive read a few places that Bioshock doesn't like Overclocked processors. But I also think that needs to be taken with a grain of salt because how does it know if its overclocked lol, prolly just people with unstable overclocks, but thats just some extra info. Hope that helps some.

tmz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
i played the bioshock demo and my system would freeze after about 5 or 10 mins every time. my graphics card is a ati 1900xt 256 and lowering game settings made no difference although i thought it was the card messing up. (temps were normal) a freind suggested i install ati tray instead of the catylist control centre. I was a bit sceptical but i downloaded and installed the latest ati driver and ati tools and it fixed it. So i suggest the problem may be driver or graphics software related, a 8800 gts should have no problem with bioshock at all.

three0duster

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I figured out my problem.
I installed the older 84.xx drivers (just for reference)
then I Defragged the harddrive and set the virtual memory to 5.7GB (max and min)as windows recommended
I can run bioshock @ 1920x1200 with all the eye candy off and it runs pretty good (playable) no studders or lockups like previous. :pt1cable:

ivanski

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
BioShock is a beautiful game if it does'nt crash on you.
I spent the 1st week trying to stop it from doing that exact same thing.
Went from undoing my overclock to memory testing,different Drivers,even defrag.
The minute I thought I solved it,it would play great for a while then freeze again.
My final solution was to disable SLI and it never crashed again.
I suggest you get all the microsoft hotfixes http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html
and re-install nvidia 163.44 http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html
REMEMBER to take Vsync off with in the game,I found it lowers your fps and seems a bit choppy.
Also if your running SLI make shure not to mess with the 3d application setting in the control panel.
Leave it on Default single GPU it gives you the highest FPS,once you mess with it you will have to re-install to get it again.If you still crash then disable SLI, as this worked for me and the difference wasnt even noticed.
But then again I have an 8800gtx as far as my system :

EVGA 680LT
E6550 @3.2
OCZ 1066 mem
Silencer 750 quad
Vista32 Home Basic

I'm thinking for those that haven't got it yet, don't, wait for the patch. I was on their forums last night and found they have opened a thread for all non-installation problems with the game. I doesn't seem to matter how old/new, good/bad your hardware is, there are big problems with this game. There are over 100 pages (as of last night) with people having crashes, sound problems, mouse lag, you name it. Lot's of problems for those with 7800GT/GS 7900GT/GS cards. ATI cards, nVidia, doesn't much matter. Shame on 2K for pushing this out the door in this condition.

This could have been one of those moments where XBOX 360 owners would point out why gaming on a console is better than PC, unfortunately for them (fortunate for us) they are having some of the same issues.

Thankfully I work out of the country, and I just happened to leave for work just a couple of days before BioShock was release. I could have been in this boat, pulling my hair out, installing umpteen different versions of video drivers, sound drivers, etc, etc. As it is now that I know about all the problems, I will watch to see when the first patch comes out. Once that happens, then maybe I will lay out my cash for the game. That's only if they address some of the more serious problems. Till then my cash stays in my pocket, you hear that 2K!!!! No money for you until you fix your broken product. That includes the activation/installation bull.

My condolenses to those dealing with these problems, it's a shame that publishers can get away with this. They get your money up front, and you get a working game (hopefully) whenever they get around to fixing it. Don't beta testers get paid, seems to me you (those that already have the game) have all paid to be beta testers.

ivanski

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Whats funny about this,is that the game is'nt very long if you're a decent player.
It took longer trying to get it to work than to play it,lol.
Played the 1st run with the difficult setting,wich I admit I had a hella of time with the final fight "geezuz it was difficult" The 2nd time was set to easy,just to see the the alternate ending...meaning: to haverst or save the Little Sisters.
But dont get me wrong the game is awesome and I dont mind playing it over again.Hope theres an expansion soon,seems to good to be over.