Windows XP home edition problem....

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi

I have a celeron 2.6, with 256mb memory with installed XP home edition(NO
service packs installed) , was running fine...

Now when I try to login , it automatically signs me off...

any idea what to do ?

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

"Chris" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:2okjdoFb7s5qU1@uni-berlin.de:

> Hi
>
> I have a celeron 2.6, with 256mb memory with installed XP home
> edition(NO service packs installed) , was running fine...
>
> Now when I try to login , it automatically signs me off...
>
> any idea what to do ?

add alt.comp.anti-virus to your cross posting
ask there too :)

every use google?

Chris wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a celeron 2.6, with 256mb memory with installed XP home
> edition(NO service packs installed) , was running fine...
>
> Now when I try to login , it automatically signs me off...
>
> any idea what to do ?

why don't you try installing SP1? Don't bother with SP2 yet, still too many
compatibility problems and other issues.

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

"The Prophecy" <bdskbksbkjdas@njdsnoifds.com> wrote in

> Chris wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a celeron 2.6, with 256mb memory with installed XP home
>> edition(NO service packs installed) , was running fine...
>>
>> Now when I try to login , it automatically signs me off...
>>
>> any idea what to do ?
>
> why don't you try installing SP1? Don't bother with SP2 yet, still
> too many compatibility problems and other issues.

?

"Now when I try to login , it automatically signs me off..."

Virus issue... ? but he don't want to google or check virus group.

"Randy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Chris" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:2okjdoFb7s5qU1@uni-berlin.de:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a celeron 2.6, with 256mb memory with installed XP home
> > edition(NO service packs installed) , was running fine...
> >
> > Now when I try to login , it automatically signs me off...
> >
> > any idea what to do ?
>
> add alt.comp.anti-virus to your cross posting
> ask there too :)

:) I choose not to

> every use google?

You mean google groups ? Yes

Your response to this message has zero value.

Chris wrote:
> "Randy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> "Chris" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:2okjdoFb7s5qU1@uni-berlin.de:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a celeron 2.6, with 256mb memory with installed XP home
>>> edition(NO service packs installed) , was running fine...
>>>
>>> Now when I try to login , it automatically signs me off...
>>>
>>> any idea what to do ?
>>
>> add alt.comp.anti-virus to your cross posting
>> ask there too :)
>
> :) I choose not to
>

>> every use google?
>
> You mean google groups ? Yes
>
> Your response to this message has zero value.

Your post has zero value. This is an FAQ. May I suggest you do as Randy
suggested and search Google Groups for a solution?
lose his marbles?

> Chris wrote:
> > "Randy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> >> add alt.comp.anti-virus to your cross posting
> >> ask there too :)
> >
> > :) I choose not to
> >

> >> every use google?
> >
> > You mean google groups ? Yes
> >
> > Your response to this message has zero value.
>

> Your post has zero value. This is an FAQ. May I suggest you do as Randy
> suggested and search Google Groups for a solution?

LOL I suggested google groups. You seem to have a comprehension problem. To
get back on-topic, No, I was unable to find a solution to this "FAQ" using
google, hence resorted to posting to the NG expecting some knowledgeable,
helpful person to come along. I can wait. Thanks :)
> --
> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
> lose his marbles?

Dunno about him, but I think you lost yours..lol

"The Prophecy" <bdskbksbkjdas@njdsnoifds.com> wrote in message
> Chris wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a celeron 2.6, with 256mb memory with installed XP home
> > edition(NO service packs installed) , was running fine...
> >
> > Now when I try to login , it automatically signs me off...
> >
> > any idea what to do ?
>
> why don't you try installing SP1? Don't bother with SP2 yet, still too
many
> compatibility problems and other issues.

I would, but, when I start the pc up and try to login entering the password,
it immediately says saving settings, blah and then signs off , and
eventually then shuts down:-(

Chris wrote:
> "The Prophecy" <bdskbksbkjdas@njdsnoifds.com> wrote in message
>> Chris wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a celeron 2.6, with 256mb memory with installed XP home
>>> edition(NO service packs installed) , was running fine...
>>>
>>> Now when I try to login , it automatically signs me off...
>>>
>>> any idea what to do ?
>>
>> why don't you try installing SP1? Don't bother with SP2 yet, still
>> too many compatibility problems and other issues.
>
> I would, but, when I start the pc up and try to login entering the
> password, it immediately says saving settings, blah and then signs
> off , and eventually then shuts down:-(

Try booting into Safe Mode and see if it kicks you out again.

Chris wrote:

> "The Prophecy" <bdskbksbkjdas@njdsnoifds.com> wrote in message
>
>>Chris wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I have a celeron 2.6, with 256mb memory with installed XP home
>>>edition(NO service packs installed) , was running fine...
>>>
>>>Now when I try to login , it automatically signs me off...
>>>
>>>any idea what to do ?
>>
>>why don't you try installing SP1? Don't bother with SP2 yet, still too
>
> many
>
>>compatibility problems and other issues.
>

> I would, but, when I start the pc up and try to login entering the password,
> it immediately says saving settings, blah and then signs off , and
> eventually then shuts down:-(

it might be a virus there are a few going around that do that a d or p
netsky will also do that in fact

only suggest put in xp or 98 startup disk tye surching for the registry
files with reg???.*

Then try to manualy delet the reg files. Re-start the xp it should in
theory bypass the startup screen. saying you have you registry present.

Goto command prompt

a dos prompt type scanreg see if it help to get it back up and running.

If it does do to your anti-virus providers site and get the update they
are going wacko right now.

give it a shoot if not you may have to re-install it from scratch with a
startup disk fdisk re-do it last resort try the top one tell me after if
it works.

Chris wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a celeron 2.6, with 256mb memory with installed XP home
> edition(NO service packs installed) , was running fine...
>
> Now when I try to login , it automatically signs me off...
>
> any idea what to do ?

READ.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

--
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick
boxing. -- Emo Philips

The Prophecy wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a celeron 2.6, with 256mb memory with installed XP home
>> edition(NO service packs installed) , was running fine...
>>
>> Now when I try to login , it automatically signs me off...
>>
>> any idea what to do ?
>
> why don't you try installing SP1? Don't bother with SP2 yet, still
> too many compatibility problems and other issues.

For me, and many others I've spoken to, there are zero "compatibility
problems and other issues". I would venture to suggest the problems lie
within your own system or are PEBCAK errors.
lose his marbles?

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in news:cmtVc.33001
$Dz3.28777@fe48.usenetserver.com:

> For me, and many others I've spoken to, there are zero "compatibility
> problems and other issues". I would venture to suggest the problems lie
> within your own system or are PEBCAK errors.

I actually said "I think it's a PEBCAK kind of problem" to a user once.
They did not get it, and I pray they never google (or learn to spell)
PEBCAK.

shawk

"Jim Berwick" <jimb@snip.net> wrote in message
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in news:cmtVc.33001
> $Dz3.28777@fe48.usenetserver.com:
>
> > For me, and many others I've spoken to, there are zero "compatibility
> > problems and other issues". I would venture to suggest the problems lie
> > within your own system or are PEBCAK errors.
>
> I actually said "I think it's a PEBCAK kind of problem" to a user once.
> They did not get it, and I pray they never google (or learn to spell)
> PEBCAK.

Could also be UBD

kamal

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Can you get to saafe mode and try signing in as the administrator account