Delected an extended partion to reclaim space for C:

kirk

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002

I have a new laptop with an 80 gig hard drive with a primary partition and an
extended partition. The extended partition has 55 gigs of the total drive
space. I want to delete the logical drive assigned to the partition, d:, and
the delete the partition. Then I want to extend the c: drive to include that
55 gigs.

Now it is clear that I can use Disk Managment to delete the logical drive
and the extended partition. It is not clear to me that I will then find a
way to straightforwardly add the freed up space to c:, and I do not want to
do this without being clear about all the steps.

If you can provide any help or advice, I would appreciate it.

--Kirk

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:37:02 -0700, "Kirk"
<Kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a new laptop with an 80 gig hard drive with a primary partition and an
>extended partition. The extended partition has 55 gigs of the total drive
>space. I want to delete the logical drive assigned to the partition, d:, and
>the delete the partition. Then I want to extend the c: drive to include that
>55 gigs.
>
>Now it is clear that I can use Disk Managment to delete the logical drive
>and the extended partition. It is not clear to me that I will then find a
>way to straightforwardly add the freed up space to c:, and I do not want to
>do this without being clear about all the steps.
>
>If you can provide any help or advice, I would appreciate it.
>
>--Kirk

**** WARNING! ****
if you delete logical drives or partitions using Disk Management in
Windows XP, you will be UNABLE to join the resulting free space to any
existing partition using Microsoft-supplied utilities. To reclaim the
free space, you will HAVE to create one or more new partitions. Any
sizing operation you perform on existing parititons will be
DESTRUCTIVE. Think twice before you do this using Disk Management.
See below for further information.
**** WARNING! ****

It is not possible to non-destructively increase/decrease the size of
existing partitions or join 2 or more existing partitions using
Microsoft-supplied utilities. To do this, you must use a third-party
partition manager, such as Symantec's Norton Partition Manager 8.0
(formerly PowerQuest Partition Manager 8.0).

See here: http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
When PowerQuest owned this product, they had a free trial, but you
were unable to save any changes (in other words, no changes could be
made using the free trial). I don't know if this is the case now that
Symantec owns the product.

Donald L McDaniel
Keep the thread intact
Post reply to original newsgroup

Another utility, that's half the price of Partition Magic, and is 30 day shareware is BootIt NG (www.bootitng.com)

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Kirk" <Kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:211F52FC-F9BC-4B55-B5E0-C04B4508BDAC@microsoft.com...
>I have a new laptop with an 80 gig hard drive with a primary partition and an
> extended partition. The extended partition has 55 gigs of the total drive
> space. I want to delete the logical drive assigned to the partition, d:, and
> the delete the partition. Then I want to extend the c: drive to include that
> 55 gigs.
>
> Now it is clear that I can use Disk Managment to delete the logical drive
> and the extended partition. It is not clear to me that I will then find a
> way to straightforwardly add the freed up space to c:, and I do not want to
> do this without being clear about all the steps.
>
> If you can provide any help or advice, I would appreciate it.
>
> --Kirk

Might add that this utility can run from a floppy and accomplish this task
without installing anything. And the changes made with the trial version are
permanent.

In any case, the only way to accomplish what is being asked is with a
third-party partitioning utility.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
Another utility, that's half the price of Partition Magic, and is 30 day
shareware is BootIt NG (www.bootitng.com)

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Kirk" <Kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new laptop with an 80 gig hard drive with a primary partition and
>an
> extended partition. The extended partition has 55 gigs of the total drive
> space. I want to delete the logical drive assigned to the partition, d:,
> and
> the delete the partition. Then I want to extend the c: drive to include
> that
> 55 gigs.
>
> Now it is clear that I can use Disk Managment to delete the logical drive
> and the extended partition. It is not clear to me that I will then find a
> way to straightforwardly add the freed up space to c:, and I do not want
> do this without being clear about all the steps.
>
> If you can provide any help or advice, I would appreciate it.
>
> --Kirk

You won't be able to add the extended partition space to the C: partition
using xp's disk management. As you rightly say, you can create abd delete
partitions with xp but that is all. If you intend 'merging' the extended
partition space with your current C; partition you are going to need
something like symantec's partition magic. This is by far the best
application for the job.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert