Labtop CPU upgrading?

maj81

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
Hi all,
I want to upgrade my labtop CPU, the current is "Mobile Coppermine-T (Celeron-III)" 1200MHz 256KB cash µFCPGA with 133MHz bus, I'm suffering from low performance level, so I thought moving toward PIII will enhance the overall performance, so the current CPU is using 24watt and 1.45volt, on the other hand I want to upgarde to PIII 1400MHz on socket FC-PGA2,which is 31watt and 1.45volt, my quastion is well this new tarnsition will enhance the performnace that much? is it applicable, is the both socket compatable? is µFCPGA and socket370 compatable? does this will have noticeple infulance on the battery life? is there ant risk on it? by the way I have well expirance in the desktop hardware and I have A+, but never get inside labtop, so is there a chance that I will break some thing and ruin my labtop?

Thanks in advace

:wink: :wink: :wink: <i><b>Never Giveup</b></i> :mad: :mad: :mad:

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I believe the µFCPGA is just a flatter socket 370 so you should have no probs there. Upgrading to a pIII from a celeron will increase performance quite a bit. But that thing is going to kill your battery life. It really depends on the battery I guess but you are more than likely to take a large battery cut.
Usually laptops are fairly easy to get into and work on. You will only run into major problems on very old laptops like PII and earlier. If you are having to take out a million screws to get at anything in the laptop then you are asking for trouble. If there are only a few screws between you and the inside of your laptop then you should be ok.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>