Attn: BB (regarding Diablo & OS X)

I finally was drawn into OS X and bought one of those nifty Mac Minis
(which runs OS X quite well). I installed Diablo 2 and LOD using the OS
X installer (and the full install option so there would be no disc
swapping).

It runs well (very fast with all audio-visual bells and whistles
enabled) but it won't connect to Battle.net.

Since you're the only person in this group that I know of with OS X
experience, I thought I'd pick your goaty brain for free advice.

First of all, a few times, I've gotten a message which says the CD key
I've used isn't valid for B.net use. This is a crock as it's the key I
used on my old OS 9 Mac and played on B.net with for years. I'm guessing
this is an OS X glitch or an erroneous message.

Most times, I simply get a message which says that I'm unable to connect
to B.net and should be sure to check my modem to make sure I'm
connected. However, I am connected. I can get e-mail and browse the web.
I DMZ'ed the computer so all ports would be open but that brought no
joy. I also disabled the modem port and moved it to the bottom of the
connection priority list in the network settings (figuring the game was
looking at the list and checking the first connection setting or some
stupid thing like that).

None of this fiddling produced a positive result. Any advice?

Shari

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:49:14 +0900, Orchid wrote:

> I finally was drawn into OS X and bought one of those nifty Mac Minis
> (which runs OS X quite well). I installed Diablo 2 and LOD using the OS
> X installer (and the full install option so there would be no disc
> swapping).

I'm also looking at a Mac Mini, so if you here anything please can you
post the solution to the group.

Thanks
Richard

For your information Mac OS 10.3.7 has had a significant up grade in
OpenGL (which gets Mac back to where it used to be in OS 9 with a 3dfx
card :) .) I run both a G5 and G4 on Bnet with only minor problems. If
the permissions have not been kept clean the G4 is too slow to meet the
Bnet test for logging in or if I key through the startup windows too
fast it will hang (I think there is some anti-hacking logic working.) A
run of disk utility and then MacJanitor gets things going again.

If Diablo is up and I try to log in again I get the "unable to connect
to B.net and be sure to check my modem" message. I then force quit
Diablo and it all starts up fine next time. This usually happens when
the connecting to fastest server fails to find a server and Diablo
hangs. It appears to quit when I exit but it is still listed in memory.
This started happening in OS 10.3.6 and continues in 10.3.7, Only
happens 1 out 15 starts so I just work around it.

Good Luck.

u4ick

--
-Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler-

In article <1gri98p.wlamfnwbukk6N%orchid@somewhere.net>,
orchid@somewhere.net (Orchid) wrote:

>I finally was drawn into OS X and bought one of those nifty Mac Minis
>(which runs OS X quite well). I installed Diablo 2 and LOD using the OS
>X installer (and the full install option so there would be no disc
>swapping).

Aww. Aren't they cute? Manufactured only a skip away from you to
boot. :) I'm tempted to get one too, but for now all money is going
towards school, food, and paying down debt. (damn those DART bastards)

>It runs well (very fast with all audio-visual bells and whistles
>enabled) but it won't connect to Battle.net.
>
>Since you're the only person in this group that I know of with OS X
>experience, I thought I'd pick your goaty brain for free advice.
>
>First of all, a few times, I've gotten a message which says the CD key
>I've used isn't valid for B.net use. This is a crock as it's the key I
>used on my old OS 9 Mac and played on B.net with for years. I'm guessing
>this is an OS X glitch or an erroneous message.

I've learned to more or less ignore D2's diagnosis of errors.

>Most times, I simply get a message which says that I'm unable to connect
>to B.net and should be sure to check my modem to make sure I'm
>connected. However, I am connected. I can get e-mail and browse the web.
>I DMZ'ed the computer so all ports would be open but that brought no
>joy. I also disabled the modem port and moved it to the bottom of the
>connection priority list in the network settings (figuring the game was
>looking at the list and checking the first connection setting or some
>stupid thing like that).
>
>None of this fiddling produced a positive result. Any advice?
>
>Shari

How are you connecting to the internet? I use DHCP through
Southwestern Bell's DSL and for some oddball reason when I used the
default DNS servers I got that problem, but when I manually punched in
some DNS addresses all was well.
My guesstimation is that OSX is spending a little too long looking
for DNS servers (even when not really needing to) and accidentally
timing out something somewhere (possibly D2 itself) and causing a
hiccup. But I have no way to verify that theory beyond "Works for me."
Another thing to check: Apple hid a firewall in the "Sharing" control
panel. Either make sure that's off, or poke a hole for D2. I believe
it's on by default. I have no idea what you meant by "DMZ."

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

Richard Clyne <richard@clyne.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:49:14 +0900, Orchid wrote:
>
> > I finally was drawn into OS X and bought one of those nifty Mac Minis
> > (which runs OS X quite well). I installed Diablo 2 and LOD using the OS
> > X installer (and the full install option so there would be no disc
> > swapping).
> >

> I'm also looking at a Mac Mini, so if you here anything please can you
> post the solution to the group.

I'm not certain what the solution is but I threw out the original
installation and re-installed with different key codes. Either my
original code has somehow but banned (which would be very weird) or I
mistyped it but typed in a code that worked for installation.

After another installation, it worked just fine, including connecting to
Battle.net.

It could also be I was having some network issues that made connecting
difficult but the error messages I received were misleading. I had to
rearrange my entire network over the weekend due to various problems
(like inexplicably getting only 10 Mbps instead of 100 on some cables).

I'm pretty pleased so far with the Mini. I don't think you'd be
disappointed in one. However, I did get 1 GB of RAM (not from Apple -
bought it separately for $170 and my father-in-law installed it) which
may improve speed. However, on the rare occasions when I checked
performance, it's never used more than half the available RAM.

Shari

u4ick <nospamm@nospamm.com> wrote:

> For your information Mac OS 10.3.7 has had a significant up grade in
> OpenGL (which gets Mac back to where it used to be in OS 9 with a 3dfx
> card :) .) I run both a G5 and G4 on Bnet with only minor problems. If
> the permissions have not been kept clean the G4 is too slow to meet the
> Bnet test for logging in or if I key through the startup windows too
> fast it will hang (I think there is some anti-hacking logic working.) A
> run of disk utility and then MacJanitor gets things going again.

Thanks for the information. I've played around with OS X before with
frustrating results (on older G3s only) and haven't quite got the hang
of all this permission-fixing business. All in all, it seems to be a lot
fussier than OS 9 if you install a lot of stuff or download a lot of
files.

> If Diablo is up and I try to log in again I get the "unable to connect
> to B.net and be sure to check my modem" message. I then force quit
> Diablo and it all starts up fine next time. This usually happens when
> the connecting to fastest server fails to find a server and Diablo
> hangs. It appears to quit when I exit but it is still listed in memory.
> This started happening in OS 10.3.6 and continues in 10.3.7, Only
> happens 1 out 15 starts so I just work around it.

I can't say I've reached starting it 15 times yet. ;-) I've successfully
connected twice and once the program unexpectedly quit when I walked
away (probably related to the HD going to sleep).

Thanks again. I appreciate the detailed reply.

Shari

B.B. <DoNotSpamthegoat4@airmail.net.com.org.gov.tw.ch.ru> wrote:

> In article <1gri98p.wlamfnwbukk6N%orchid@somewhere.net>,
> orchid@somewhere.net (Orchid) wrote:
>
> >I finally was drawn into OS X and bought one of those nifty Mac Minis
> >(which runs OS X quite well). I installed Diablo 2 and LOD using the OS
> >X installer (and the full install option so there would be no disc
> >swapping).
>
> Aww. Aren't they cute? Manufactured only a skip away from you to
> boot. :) I'm tempted to get one too, but for now all money is going
> towards school, food, and paying down debt. (damn those DART bastards)

Well, not so much cute as "tiny". So far, so good though...it's quite
speedy and has had no problems.

> >It runs well (very fast with all audio-visual bells and whistles
> >enabled) but it won't connect to Battle.net.
> >
> >Since you're the only person in this group that I know of with OS X
> >experience, I thought I'd pick your goaty brain for free advice.
> >
> >First of all, a few times, I've gotten a message which says the CD key
> >I've used isn't valid for B.net use. This is a crock as it's the key I
> >used on my old OS 9 Mac and played on B.net with for years. I'm guessing
> >this is an OS X glitch or an erroneous message.
>
> I've learned to more or less ignore D2's diagnosis of errors.

You're a smart goat.

> >Most times, I simply get a message which says that I'm unable to connect
> >to B.net and should be sure to check my modem to make sure I'm
> >connected. However, I am connected. I can get e-mail and browse the web.
> >I DMZ'ed the computer so all ports would be open but that brought no
> >joy. I also disabled the modem port and moved it to the bottom of the
> >connection priority list in the network settings (figuring the game was
> >looking at the list and checking the first connection setting or some
> >stupid thing like that).
> >
> >None of this fiddling produced a positive result. Any advice?
> >
> >Shari
>
> How are you connecting to the internet?

DHCP through NTT's Flet's DSL service. Pretty much the same as you.

> I use DHCP through
> Southwestern Bell's DSL and for some oddball reason when I used the
> default DNS servers I got that problem, but when I manually punched in
> some DNS addresses all was well.

I didn't have to do this but it's something to keep in mind if anything
goes awry. I had heard that this will help with some connection problems
but hadn't though of it in this instance.

> My guesstimation is that OSX is spending a little too long looking
> for DNS servers (even when not really needing to) and accidentally
> timing out something somewhere (possibly D2 itself) and causing a
> hiccup. But I have no way to verify that theory beyond "Works for me."

This is possible, particulary since my network seemed rather messed up
after I rearranged everything. There are 6 lines connected to a router
with 4 ports (one port has an ethernet hub on it to steal a few more
ports). When I moved everything around, things got pretty weird and I'm
wondering now if the Mini somehow got a dodgey connection which only
showed up when Diablo tried to connect.

> Another thing to check: Apple hid a firewall in the "Sharing" control
> panel. Either make sure that's off, or poke a hole for D2. I believe
> it's on by default. I have no idea what you meant by "DMZ."

DMZ is when you set one computer so that all its ports are open and
exposed externally. There's more to it than that, possibly, but the
bottom line (as far as I'm concerned) is that the computer has no closed
ports and has a real IP address (as opposed to a network IP). It allows
you to host TCP/IP games and such. It also makes certain that games
should find the right ports open. One can manually set ports or ranges
of ports but I always DMZ because I like to live dangerously. ;-)

Shari